Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Giant Slayer.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » The Giant Slayer. 28 posts - page 3 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kriega1 » June 29, 2020 10:13am | Report
Branmuffin17 wrote:

Baka also doesn't usually build lifesteal, as far as I know. You'll rely on his 2 for sustain. (FYI his normal build, I would say, would be Golden, Stone Cutting, Hastened, Qin's, and any of Arondight, Exe, Ichaival)

Golden into stone cutting is too little movement speed early. It would be Golden into either boots or atalanta's or hastened and then stone cutting.

E.g. Golden > Ata > Stone cutting > qins > exe

Or, Golden > Ninja > hastened > exe > qins

Kriega1

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (143)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by IDNeon » June 29, 2020 10:15am | Report
Kriega1 wrote:

You don't have to build full tank, you can go bruiser. E.g. Warrior Tabi > Breastplate of Valor > Runic Shield (or Genji's Guard) > Hide of the Urchin > Spirit Robe > Void Shield > sell your boots for Heartseeker or Brawler's Beat Stick lategame. That could be a possible Solo lane build.

Another example, Warrior Tabi > Genji's Guard > Void Shield > Relic Dagger > Spirit Robe > Spectral Armor > sell your boots for Heartseeker or Brawler's Beat Stick latemgame. Another possible Solo lane build.

I'm curious to see how it plays late game. This helps a lot since my first intro to solo was with Odin FG meme trash lol.

IDNeon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by IDNeon » June 29, 2020 10:17am | Report
Branmuffin17 wrote:

So uh. Hi Neon. Interesting concept. I'll provide some general feedback based on what you've discussed.

Firstly, some gods are meant to be built for full damage, and their kits fortify that concept. Others just don't have the kit that supports that type of build. With the Fire Giant, when looking to solo him, you're looking to burst him down as quickly as possible.

Let's consider the general stats and features of the FG.

Fire Giant Stats

So it's got protections, meaning pen/protection reduction will help you increase damage against it. It's got a 50% reduction in lifesteal from attackers, meaning any sustain you build is unlikely to keep you alive indefinitely.

Even though you can avoid the big boulders and the line ability, you're still going to be hit with its basic attacks.

So again, going back to your choice of Odin. Some parts of this choice make sense. Being able to apply that hefty shield fairly often will mitigate a good amount of damage. But technically, that's where it stops. The bulk of his damage potential comes not from basics, but abilities, and that shield from Raven Shout is also used for extra damage when combined with Lunge, but that damage potential also relies on the shield being at full health. His Gungnir's Might isn't nearly damaging enough. In the end, his kit just isn't suited for basic attack damage. And when you try translating this type of build for Odin in Conquest, it's basically no surprise that he's going to get blown up.

And really, what we're talking about needing here is SUSTAINED damage. Burst is great for lower health targets, but for the FG, who has thousands of HP of base health plus damage mitigation from its inherent protections, you need consistent, high basic attack DPS.

(FYI, in comparing Odin's and Baka's basic attacks, Odin gains 1.1% AS per level, while Baka's is 1.6%, so Baka will get somewhat higher AS at level 20 given the same itemization.)

How do you get that? We'll keep this to physical gods for this discussion. Well, most basic attackers (hunters and some assassins) build one of two directions with a main damage source... Qin's Sais or crit items. Normally, Baka would be built with high base AS (since he has no AS steroid) and thus also typically goes with Qin's Sais rather than crits. But what we should probably do, in maximizing damage against the FG, is focus on some specific things.
  • We'll need SOME sustain, so even with decreased lifesteal function, we should have at least 1 lifesteal item to help maintain health.
  • Unless the rest of the stats support its use, we should keep in mind the stats that affect/don't affect the FG. For example, Qin's Sais passive only does enhanced damage against enemy gods, Poisoned Star's passive only debuffs enemy gods, etc. So we're looking for the best base stats, essentially.
From this, I'd say you want a build that gets you close to 2.5 AS, with consistent crits. Rage, Wind Demon, and Deathbringer will make up 1/2 the build.

As for the rest, you'll want The Executioner, and at least 1 or 2 other AS items. Question, are you concerned with an actual, viable Conquest build too? Because if we're talking Baka, he's typically built with the katana line... Stone Cutting Sword, Golden Blade, and Hastened Katana are generally very popular/core items for him. If you're not building that (due to looking to build a max DPS direction), then are you considering the fact you'd have to build boots, or no?

Your best items to round out that DPS are probably Asi and Ichaival. If I calculated correctly, that gets your AS right up to the cap, at 2.47. You get lifesteal (and enhanced lifesteal if needed when you're lower on health that will counteract most of the lifesteal debuff the FG applies), flat pen, and high power to go with it.

Can that build translate to Conquest? While you'll deal very good damage, your utility will be really hurt. And if you're not going with the 3 katanas, you'll need Tabi, so that immediately eliminates that build as it stands, as at the 30 minute mark, you're unlikely to have replaced your boots.

Baka also doesn't usually build lifesteal, as far as I know. You'll rely on his 2 for sustain. (FYI his normal build, I would say, would be Golden, Stone Cutting, Hastened, Qin's, and any of Arondight, Exe, Ichaival)

So while you can look to maximize DPS on him against the FG, I don't think it translates well at all to a functional Conquest build.

This was a really cool response

IDNeon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 29, 2020 10:45am | Report
Kriega1 wrote:

Golden into stone cutting is too little movement speed early. It would be Golden into either boots or atalanta's or hastened and then stone cutting.

E.g. Golden > Ata > Stone cutting > qins > exe

Or, Golden > Ninja > hastened > exe > qins

Agreed in general. I was mostly just listing the main items, not organizing them specifically. That said, SCS + Golden = 17% MS. Add the Jungle Buff into that and you'll be over the standard 18%.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » June 30, 2020 1:17am | Report
IDNeon wrote:

Changes I learned to make were t2 shield and only go t2 Asi at first to start building early power with T1s. Because his gold is so slow until you can one shot a lane.

Pretty much the others answered your question. I just wanted to say building tier 1 instead of finishing/upgrading an item is a bad habit as the stat efficiency from T1 is in most cases the most inefficient ( 600 gold Spiked Gauntlet (stat point of 600/12= 50 gold per stat)
800 gold upgrade Cursed Gauntlet (800/20= 40 gold per new stat or 1400/32=43.75 gold)

And you will be skipping out on item passives.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kriega1 » June 30, 2020 7:20am | Report
Devampi wrote:

Pretty much the others answered your question. I just wanted to say building tier 1 instead of finishing/upgrading an item is a bad habit as the stat efficiency from T1 is in most cases the most inefficient ( 600 gold Spiked Gauntlet (stat point of 600/12= 50 gold per stat)
800 gold upgrade Cursed Gauntlet (800/20= 40 gold per new stat or 1400/32=43.75 gold)

And you will be skipping out on item passives.

I will say there is one exception, for the double flat pen mage build, instead of starting Mage's Blessing + tier 1 spear, you can start Mage's Blessing + tier 1 lost artifact to help your mana sustain early with the mp5, and you can go boots > double flat pen > reaver > then finish that lost artifact into charon's coin OR you can get obs shard and then finish that lost artifact into Tahuti.

Kriega1

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (143)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by IDNeon » June 30, 2020 1:48pm | Report
Yeah pretty much after going Ares standard role which is similar to Odins role (aggressor) I better see why my Odin build for slaying the giant was such garbage.

The enemy team will treat gods like their intended role. And the allied team will work around gods like their intended role.

Maybe if Odin could have been treated as a jungler with someone else treated as an aggressor...this Odin build could have poorly achieved some semblance of damage out put.

Usually I play Support or mid. And those roles seem less defined. Finish your lane. Help others. Stay out of harm's way. Do damage.

That's about it for mages anyway.

Now. On Fire Giant topic....

Ares can sustain a ton against him.

I love aggo'ing the fire giant then standing in my own corner and letting him wailon me so rest of team is high health at end of fire giant and I'm still pretty high health.

Means counterattack when enemy comes to try and gank.

IDNeon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kriega1 » June 30, 2020 2:22pm | Report
If you want to play Odin as a jungler, you would focus on ability burst, not auto attack dps

Kriega1

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (143)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }