Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Patch 4.20 - Bran's Thoughts

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Patch 4.20 - Bran's Thoughts 28 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » October 18, 2017 4:25pm | Report
Official patch notes are here: https://www.smitefire.com/smite/forum/news/4-20-pts-patch-notes-tides-of-china-58385

SEASON 5 MAP CHANGES (Preview / Teaser)

Map Comparisons
  • Map ~20% wider. Way more jungle area, lots more time to traverse. Guessing maybe an additional camp or two? Or maybe the whole camp system changes also, some quick smaller ones, and a couple more major ones so people have to commit more to those camps (or makes camp sharing more functional). Also, if people leave lane, going to be harder to gank as it'll take more time. Maybe they'll have more portals or some **** to jump from place to place. This also might make Teleport Glyph more valuable again, along with movespeed items. Support maybe roams even more. Athena S tier. More entrances into the jungle from the side lanes. Warding will cover less, balancing the higher difficulty in ganking due to width. Since most junglers and supports will get movespeed, and since jungle is bigger, this means other roles may be FORCED to get additional movespeed just to stay safe.

• Perfect Symmetry between Order & Chaos...basically the same as what they did to the Joust map. That probably makes things fairer, and I like the idea.

• Base layout change, which looks very nice. More open concept...(thanks HGTV!)

Super Chill Announcer Pack: I hope they did a good job on this one. Need to hear it.

Skins:

*NOTE* I didn't watch the stream, so I didn't get a chance to see the skins in action.
  • Super Chill Bacchus: I'm super chill too, dude. I'm with ya. (I should put those stickers on my guitar. And by mine, I mean my wife's, that she never uses even though it's a nice Martin acoustic)

Super Chill Bacchus

• Pixel Rush He Bo: Based on the card, this one looks cool, and I'm guessing they did a stand-up job on the in-game graphic effects. That said, F He Bo.

Pixel Rush He Bo

• Sand Viper Ao Kuang: Card art looks okay, but the colors are drab. Fine, fine, so I guess he's looking to blend in or something, but this is like last patch's Iza skin. Maybe the effects are cool?

Sand Viper Ao Kuang

• Mystic Defender Neith: because she needed yet another skin...this one seems pretty cute, though I'm not sure why she's throwing the peace sign (or is it a disco move?). I AM curious about the effects on this though, cuz I don't see her bow anywhere...is she shooting with a scepter instead or something? (That would make her a mage, though, wouldn't it? But you say she's ALREADY a mage? Touché, my friend, touché. Sorry, I'm rambling)

Mystic Defender Neith

• SWC 2018 Queen Aphrodite: This is a nice, sophisticated look. Again, curious about effects. Like the black outfit a lot.

SWC 2018 Queen Aphrodite

• SWC 2018 King Thor: Sorta bored of Thor skins.

SWC 2018 King Thor

• Convention 2018 Cernunnos: Okay, like the black fur. I'd expect the effects to look nice.

Convention 2018 Cernunnos

Wait, how much is that Digital Loot Pack???

Item changes:

So, they've made adjustments to the icon graphics/color schemes on some items. That's cool.
  • Soul Eater (shift??? or is it a buff???): 2,400 gold, 30 physical power, 10% lifesteal, 10% CDR, passive (each time anything dies near you, you gain a Stack. Gods, large Jungle Monsters, and Jungle Bosses provide 5 Stacks. At 100 Stacks, Soul Eater Evolves – gaining +20 Physical Power and allowing your Abilities to heal you for 10% of the Damage dealt).

Okay, so it now has power, which is good. 30 to start, 50 once evolved (which should be quick). This makes it an upper-tier item specifically with regard to power. The lifesteal dropped (remember, only applies on basics), but this is geared perfectly toward a hybrid basic attacker. So where the passive worked well for Erlang Shen before (only because his puppy counted as an additional attack so it doubled the passive's effectiveness), it now is more strongly and clearly a hybrid's item, due to the CDR and passive heal applying on damaging ability use (though the heal's not going to be all that much, honestly). This can then allow Bellona, Vamana etc. to pick this up and have it be somewhat functional. Honestly, I don't know exactly where this fits into a build. The CDR makes it funky, because most tanky warriors are already pretty easily getting max CDR via Breastplate of Valor, Genji's Guard, Spirit Robe, Gladiator's Shield, Mantle of Discord, Shogun's Kusari, etc. SOOOOO...maybe it still doesn't fit in, lol. Someone give me an example of a build properly utilizing this.

• Shield of Thorns Upgrade (nerf): duration decreased from 8 seconds to 5. That's...hmmm...not so okay, in my opinion. Sure, a tank can shut down a crit-based hunter while this is active, but when getting focused, it's not only easy to generally avoid the effect overall, but at other times, it's not going to prevent a team from still attacking you with little individual effect on themselves. Ugh, I dunno, maybe it's okay.

• The Executioner (nerf): Price increase from 2,250 to 2,350 gold. I honestly expected this. This is a reasonable adjustment. Maybe gives a slight reconsideration to a bridge of Ichaival / Silverbranch Bow, but likely not enough of a bump.

God changes:
  • Amaterasu (buff): Heavenly Reflection CD decreasing from 14 to 12, and mana cost decreased by 10 at all ranks. Should be nice for her, since her early game is on the weaker side, and the mana reduction will help. Late game that mana reduction won't mean as much, and that's fine.

• Artio (nerf): Minor base health per level decrease of 5. Eh, should be fine. This isn't very exciting.

• Guan Yu (buffs): base mana per level increased by 3 (60 mana at level 20). Conviction mana cost from 60-80 to a straight 60 at all ranks. This is actually very nice QoL for him. Granted, this doesn't help him all that much in the early game...most people, if they play him solo, will be looking to level Taolu Assault first for waveclear. Late-game, it'll help his mana consumption, but by that point, not sure if he'll have as drastic of mana issues as he does early.

• Izanami (nerfs): Fade Away losing 1 second at all ranks. Dark Portal 30 damage reduction at all ranks along with 130-100% power scaling reduction and a slight silence duration decrease as level increases. I think these are fine...I didn't know that she was performing that much better. Yeesh.

• Kumbhakarna (buff): Holy CD drop on Epic Uppercut. That's already a freaking powerful ult, and now he gets to use it 15 seconds earlier at rank 1?!? If anything, I'd prefer to see base damage increase or something, because his CC is already powerful, and they're increasing the frequency in which he can CC.

• Poseidon (buffs): Trident movespeed increased by 5% at all ranks. Release The Kraken! gets a balance to the inner and outer ring damage output, increasing damage on the outer ring, and decreasing inner, with a net total on the inner getting a slight damage increase as level increases. These are nice for him, but it's such a powerful ult already...

• Raijin (nerf): decreased radius of projectiles back from 6 units to 4.5. Gets clarity, however, on this ability and Raiju with regard to targeting. Think this is okay.

• Zeus (buffs): These are mostly slight... Aegis Assault AOE is triggered when hit by Chain Lightning, whose scaling increased from 40% to 50%. Not a bad adjustment.

So...so... Soul Eater. Still not convinced, but at least it has some good power now. None of the other changes seem bad overall, nothing standout amazing or terrible.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bernardozomer » October 18, 2017 4:38pm | Report
The S5 map was spoiled: https://twitter.com/SmitePro/status/920757015395389440
And so was Discordia, but I can't find a picture now.
#9e2aff #a12bfd #af29e8 #bd29d0 #c828be #d728a8 #d728b0 #e02899 #ee2891 #f02887 #d72875 #d72860
#8a42ff #9c30f6 #ab21ec #b329e4 #b829d9 #ca29c7 #d429bd #de299f #ee2887 #e62873 #e03163 #e53d44
#7b54ff #8d39f6 #a311f4 #a22afb #ae29ed #b63dc7 #a247c7 #ca3d9f #ee3175 #e6325f #e94348 #f14f2c
#676cff #793fff #910aff #871ef5 #7f2ee4 #7542da #665bc7 #8e519f #c04777 #f0464b #f2552d #fc6410
#5384ff #6545ed #7b00e0 #6b1ada #5738d0 #4356d0 #2d74cc #5c65b3 #985b77 #dc5037 #e94c1b #de4606
#3598fe #4750da #5d00a8 #4423b2 #2b46bc #1762c4 #008fcc #377b9f #636b7b #9a574e #d73a12 #c12300

Bernardozomer
<Meat Shield>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » October 18, 2017 5:02pm | Report
Thanks for the info, Bernardo. Going to also drop this into the initial post.

So...

Map Comparisons
  • Map ~20% wider. Way more jungle area, lots more time to traverse. Guessing maybe an additional camp or two? Or maybe the whole camp system changes also, some quick smaller ones, and a couple more major ones so people have to commit more to those camps (or makes camp sharing more functional). Also, if people leave lane, going to be harder to gank as it'll take more time. Maybe they'll have more portals or some **** to jump from place to place. This also might make Teleport Glyph more valuable again, along with movespeed items. Support maybe roams even more. Athena S tier. More entrances into the jungle from the side lanes. Warding will cover less, balancing the higher difficulty in ganking due to width. Since most junglers and supports will get movespeed, and since jungle is bigger, this means other roles may be FORCED to get additional movespeed just to stay safe.

• Perfect Symmetry between Order & Chaos...basically the same as what they did to the Joust map. That probably makes things fairer, and I like the idea.

• Base layout change, which looks very nice. More open concept...(thanks HGTV!)
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DV-8 » October 18, 2017 9:40pm | Report
Sorry Bran, Medusa didn't get any adjustments on the 4.20 patch, lol.

(I may leave my thoughts here later)

DV-8
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (35)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by boogiebass » October 18, 2017 10:26pm | Report
DV-8 wrote:

Sorry Bran, Medusa didn't get any adjustments on the 4.20 patch, lol.

(I may leave my thoughts here later)

Is she over/under performing?

boogiebass
<World Serpent>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DV-8 » October 18, 2017 10:47pm | Report
boogiebass wrote:

Is she over/under performing?

I take it you haven't read Bran's Medusa Guide...

DV-8
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (35)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by boogiebass » October 18, 2017 11:06pm | Report
DV-8 wrote:

I take it you haven't read Bran's Medusa Guide...

I have, but a while ago. What's the punch line XD

boogiebass
<World Serpent>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » October 18, 2017 11:21pm | Report
Medusa can barely summon enough interest to care. That said, her forked tongue is flicking with curiosity about that groovy new Bacchus and his tie-dye patchouli thang. (That, and the glass pipe he's got in his back pocket)
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by boogiebass » October 18, 2017 11:30pm | Report
Branmuffin17 wrote:

Medusa can barely summon enough interest to care. That said, her forked tongue is flicking with curiosity about that groovy new Bacchus and his tie-dye patchouli thang. (That, and the glass pipe he's got in his back pocket)

OMG, that's so cheesy hahaha

boogiebass
<World Serpent>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Tlaloc1050 » October 19, 2017 1:27am | Report
Khumba buff wasn't necessary IMO. Ive seen a spike of his usage in ranked and he's quite strong already

Tlaloc1050
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (17)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }