Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Power vs Protections (Which is better)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Power vs Protections (Which is better) 16 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Setolino » December 19, 2015 5:16am | Report
Ahahah that Chang´e build is so bad, he will get **** on by any decent player. Spear of the Magus is a must have on her. Same with his Ullr build, Frostound + Reinforced Greaves+ Runeforged+ Breastplate of Valor , how can anyone like that, is this dude trolling ?

It works maybeee in casual sometimes, if you want to troll or something like that, but just suggesting this as actually helpful is a joke xD
"Wololol" -Age of Empires

Setolino
<Godlike>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wayne3100 » December 19, 2015 6:18am | Report
While it's an interesting concept, it's just nowhere near as clear in favor of defense items as he makes it out to be (for reasons Zilby already mentioned). I would've also liked more depth on how this comparison works at earlier stages of the game (1 or 2 items in, for example).

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (45)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » December 19, 2015 9:54am | Report
If you do his Chang'e defense build you'd be getting enough penetration/damage to waveclear the first few items, at the cost of having any mana sustain or CDR. Shoes of the Magi are always a sub-optimal choice for Chang'e in a conquest match, they can only maybe work in the mid lane if you want to help your clear, but even then you should probably just grab Book of Thoth since you don't have the blue buff for mana sustain.

The Ullr build even as jungle has a lot of problems being able to do just about anything, mana sustain, jungle clear/sustain, etc. Going to assume he was against really bad players that match. If the enemy is bad enough, ANYTHING can work, like that time I went 16-2 as Nemesis mid.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » December 19, 2015 11:31am | Report
I'm surprised that somes of the mistakes on this video haven't been shown yet on Chang'e build.

The power build included Book of Thoth, which is easy to stack, but the damage from the stacks are not included in the stats.
The power build has more utility (more mana, lifesteal, anti-healing), while the defence only have ... protections and 30 flat penetration. Against non mage enemy (or enemy affected by Sovereignty), it's not enough.
The power build has Lotus Crown, which gives her 20 magical protections, thus, the power build won't always deal true damage.

So, he compared the damage one build would deal against the other build.
He only compared the damage from 1 ability at once, so yes the defence build will deal more damage.
But when we compared the whole fight, because let's face it, it will be long fight.
With the healing from Moonflower Dance, protections from Lotus Crown and anti-healing from Divine Ruin, I'm not sure the defence build would win the fight.

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Stuke99 » December 19, 2015 6:00pm | Report
Here's another one, haven't watched it yet but I think Zilbs might get mad at this one too.

Stuke99
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » December 19, 2015 7:47pm | Report
"The difference between warlock's sash and Ethereal Staff is almost nonexistant." In the build he gives, there is a somewhat negligible difference, but you can't NOT use Rod of Tahuti in a mage build and expect to do well late game. A mage bruiser build shouldn't look like this. Let me just go through:

Things he does right:
Spear of the Magus (for most mages), Hide of the Urchin (great bruiser item), Shoes of the Magi (optional, but a perfectly fine option compared with Shoes of Focus), Chronos' Pendant (again, optional, but not always optimal if building bruiser).

Things he does wrong:
Mail of Renewal.... why. 40 defense, health, a passive that's not really great for a mage and 15% CDR? Are you kidding me? Don't EVER get this item on a mage. If you need CDR and physical defense, get Breastplate of Valor, if you want to build like a bruiser, grab warlock's sash, there's NEVER a need to grab this on a mage.
And finally, not getting Rod of Tahuti as mentioned above.

So what should a mage bruiser build look like, and when should it be used? Mage bruiser builds are *sometimes* viable, mostly on Zhong Kui and Hades, but can be used on a secondary solo lane mage if need be. Most commonly, you'll want to do something like
warlock's sash -> Shoes of the Magi -> Spear of the Magus -> Hide of the Urchin -> Rod of Tahuti -> Ethereal Staff (another option for e-staff is also Gem of Isolation, this one is especially good on Zhong Kui or Chronos' Pendant/ Breastplate of Valor if you're looking for more CDR, but that should generally be purchased earlier in the build. Void Stone can also be viable, but is hard to work around for the rest of your build).

Overall, what should you be looking for in a mage bruiser build? Core are shoes, penetration and Rod of Tahuti. Aside from that, desirable options are a mixed defense item (most commonly Hide of the Urchin since its raw stats are so strong), a health/power item (almost always warlock's sash since it again provides amazing raw stats) and a situational, be it CDR, power, defense or health/power, but preferably not a raw defense item since you'll then still be lacking in power.

He does do one of these as his second build, it's the first thing I've seen that's viable so far. His third build has 4 defense items, which is in all practicality, almost useless.

Moving on to the assassin bruiser... just no. Regardless of context, Mercury isn't a bruiser and should never be built as one. He's strong enough built as a one shot that he can carry an entire team late game, if you're not immediately decimating enemies by the time you're at full build as Mercury something is very VERY wrong. It's not even necessarily that building Mercury as a bruiser would make him terrible late game, it's just that he could be SO much better. Bastet is an example of a truly useless bruiser. She has no CC, a great escape and strong burst damage, but weak damage over a long period of time. Building her for extended engagements is moronic to the highest degree.

I already commented on the Ullr build before, I refuse to do it again.

Spear of the Magus + Void Stone + Shoes of the Magi and The Executioner + Titan's Bane actually make me cringe.

Stuke for the love of god stop posting these, not every class is a warrior. There's a reason all the classes build differently D:
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }