Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Patch 7.3, "Grim Omens" - Bran's Thoughts

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Patch 7.3, "Grim Omens" - Bran's Thoughts 10 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » March 4, 2020 11:31pm | Report
I put my comments in orange.

But before I go into the item/god change, I'll just chat briefly about a couple of skins...

BONUS BALANCE - LIVE MARCH 10

ITEMS

Blink Rune

“Blink creates moments where players can catch each other out of position quickly. It can close the gaps for an aggressive play or serve as a last minute escape with enough skilled jukes. Its strength, cooldown and distance covered allow it to be a constant threat that is difficult to counter. Adjusting these aspects should make the relic healthier as a whole while still allowing it to be a strong choice.”
  • Increased Cooldown from 120s to 140s.
  • Decreased Range from 55 to 45.

Upgraded Blink Rune: Cooldown remains unchanged at 120s. Decreased Range from 55 to 45.
Conflicted. I love using this, but I also struggle against it. This is probably for the best.

Mace

“Mace is the go-to for many junglers, who rely on that extra power to keep up in clear speed. However, a difficult choice arises if you need Hand of the Gods because this start requires junglers to skip potions. This adjustment will not only allow that start to be possible but also give an extra potion for the junglers, giving them more health to play around with in the early game if they so choose.”
  • Decreased cost from 700 to 650. (All Tier 2 and Tier 3 items building from this will remain the same total cost.)

Shoes of the Magi

“Season 7 Penetration adjustments left these shoes in a strange spot. Power was added, but adding any more power to makeup for the penetration loss would increase Mage damage to non-god targets to a dangerous level. We tried to find a middle ground but they ended up feeling lackluster compared to Shoes of Focus. Rather than just focusing on these as damage boots we are adding some sustain elements to give them their own niche.”
  • Added 8% Lifesteal
  • Added 100 Mana
Alright, this at least is something functional. Magi was very underwhelming. This introduces early health sustain, and since mages don't usually build early lifesteal outside those that use Bancroft's well, this will bring better balance to the shoes tree. With Chronos' Pendant rushes and the CDR concept, this also means maybe people have wider options in how to start, and again allows for a Shoes of the Magi -> Chronos' Pendant -> Spear of Desolation direction if they don't need anti-heal from Divine Ruin.

Transcendence

“Transcendance has become core in a variety of builds. While we like gods having an option to rush into solid power and mana regen, the cooldown reduction pushed it over the edge. We are moving the Cooldown Reduction to the fully evolved form which gives other items more room to fit into builds.”
  • No longer provides 10% Cooldown Reduction.
  • Now provides 10% Cooldown Reduction when fully evolved.
This is a good adjustment.

GODS

Kukulkan

“Kukulkan has really stormed into play, becoming a serious top level pick and succeeding across the game. The changes to his base stats and Whirlwind helped him be more impactful, and after a partial revert on Whirlwind this ability is in a solid spot. Rather than fully reverting him we are targeting other aspects like his Passive that contributes heavily to his damage output, and his ultimate cooldown which enables objective secure.”

Power of the Wind Jewel (Passive)
  • Decreased Power gained from Mana from 5% to 4%.

Spirit of the Nine Winds
  • Increased Cooldown from 70s to 90s.
The big effect here is the cooldown on the ult. At this point, I just don't think any ults should be under 90 seconds base.

Nemesis

“Nemesis fans in Season 7 were not happy with a small power scaling increase on Swift Vengeance. Given Nemesis’ history where single balance adjustments could really tip the scales with her and a whole new Season approaching, we were perhaps too reserved. As things have now settled we are reducing the cooldown on Slice and Dice, improving her clear speed and giving her more opportunities to get damage out.”

Slice and Dice
  • Decreased Cooldown from 13s to 11s.
Okay, this CD is now pretty low, especially on an ability with a high base damage (340 in the center at max rank). 1 second less would have been a bit better maybe?

Odin

“A familiar sight in our new Bonus Balance format. Odin’s rework gave him significantly more flexibility and strength and this strength has stayed through multiple adjustments. Raven Shout shield makes him difficult to fight against and contributes heavy burst when used in the bird bomb. We are toning this and Gungnir’s Might’s scaling by 10%, taking some of the edge off these abilities. Ring of Spears is more widely applicable and is now on the level of other ultimate abilities. A cooldown of 90s now feels right.”

Raven Shout
  • Decreased Physical Power Scaling of Shield Health from 60% to 50%

Gungnir's Might
  • Decreased Physical Power Scaling from Gungnir Throw Damage from 60% to 50%

Ring of Spears
  • Increased Cooldown from 75s to 90s
Yup. Sorry Boog. Oh well. The scaling overall isn't a huge issue though it doesn't help Jungle Odin, but the big effect I see is Ring of Spears with regard to non-Conquest modes, where that CD was just stupid. Combine that with the Blink Rune nerf, and it brings him into better alignment.

Vamana

“This god has seen colossal growth in win-rate metrics since his most recent change. Vamana’s buff gave him too much immediate speed, allowing him to quickly outpace enemies off a few hits. We are spreading this out more to give enemies more time to get away before full speed is reached.”

Colossal Fury
  • This ability now provides 3% Movement Speed per stack on successful hit and stacks up to 5 times
  • Changed from 5% Movement Speed and 3 stacks

Slight adjustment in the stacking, with the same end result. This is fine. I find Vamana very fun, as long as you're going bruiser. But where I always enjoyed getting Hastened Katana, the whole addition of stacking MS makes the item less needed (and moving more toward Frostbound Hammer. I personally prefer Katana.

7.3 Balance - Live w/ the Grim Omens Update
(March 24)

ITEMS

Mage's Blessing

“Mage’s Blessing at the top level was often being ignored in favor of more successful aggressive starts or early stacking item rushes. We want to ensure that building a Blessing is at least a solid choice for its role, and an increase in Magical Power should do just that.”
  • Increased Magical Power from 20 to 30
This helps, I guess.

Enchanted Ring

“Enchanted Ring (the tier 2 of the ring tree) had an odd power curve. When purchased it often resulted in a large amount of unspent gold. We are making its cost match closer to other tier 2 items and giving it power to match that cost.”
  • Increased Cost from 1100 to 1300
  • All Tier 3 items building from this will remain the same total cost.
  • Increased Power from 40 to 55
This makes more sense. 1100 gold for a T2 item was weird, and slightly OP for what it offered.

Devourer's Gauntlet

“Devourer’s Gauntlets have been slowely phased out in favor of Transcendance rushes or Bloodforge rushes. Devourer’s Gauntlet and Bloodforge shared similar identities in a finished build, further pushing one to be stronger than the other. We are increasing the Lifesteal of Devourer’s Gauntlet to make it the clear winner when it comes to sustain, while letting Bloodforge and Transcendance be the strong immediate power spikes.”
  • Increased Base Physical Lifesteal from 10% to 15%
Okay, I don't know WTF they're doing.

GODS

Aphrodite

“Aphrodite brings strong utility and allows a hyper carry to play much more aggressively than normally possible. While a strong strength to have, Aphrodite players don’t feel that strength as directly and also makes her more team composition depended. We are reducing the cooldown on Kiss early and giving Love Birds an initial hit. These changes will give her better utility and damage for herself and will give Love Birds better feedback as to when an enemy was hit.”

Kiss
  • Reduced cooldown from 16/15/14/13/12 to 14/13.5/13/12.5/12

Love Birds
  • Now has an initial hit: 15/25/35/45/55 (+15% of your magical power)
Fairly minor in my opinion. And no, this doesn't make Spear of the Magus good on her, for those of you that might be thinking it. Don't you dare.

Cerberus

“Cerberus is an aggressive frontline guardian but lacked the base health late game to fully accomplish that goal. A boost to his per level should give him that extra bit of presence needed to succeed.”

Base Stats
  • Increased HP per level from 86 to 95

Guan Yu

“Guan Yu’s dash had a locked camera, making this ability handle strangely and prevented Guan Yu from quickly turning like other dashes allow. This will make Guan Yu more responsive. A true “quality of life” change.”

Warrior's Will
  • Removed the camera lock when using this ability
Was this an issue? I mean, okay, cool, but...I think they have bigger problems than this, like fixing the general UI maybe?

Merlin

“Merlin’s mastery over magic has been felt by many a player, giving validity to his claim of being a Master Wizard. His fire stance in particular can melt enemies who are caught out. A reduction to Dragonfire and his Elemental Mastery’s scaling will decrease the situations he can destroy an enemy with little chance to fight back.”

Dragonfire
  • Decreased Magical Power Scaling damage per tick from 25% to 20%

Elemental Mastery
  • Decreased Magical Power Scaling damage per hit from 20% to 15%
Good, nerf Merlin into the ground. I don't like him.

Nu Wa

“Clay Soldiers are integral to Nu Wa really bringing burst to a fight. The lack of scaling movement speed and the long cooldown however really limited her damage capability and hurt her overall reliability. By boosting these we expect Nu Wa players to have more control over landing her full combo.”

Clay Soldiers
  • Increased Base Movement Speed from 365 to 365/380/395/410/425
  • Decreased Cooldown from 18 to 16
I'm scared of Nu Wa now.

Olorun

“The Ruler of the Heavens often sees his reign cut short, struggling to succeed in the early game and having a late game that didn’t compensate for that weakness. Focused Light and Consecration are his core clear and self peel abilities. Improving these will allow him more success in the early game. Touch of Fate is getting a bump, giving him a more rewarding late game for both his in-hands and the improved Focused Light.”

Touch of Fate
  • Increased Olorun’s Critical hits from 50% increased damage to 60%

Focused Light
  • Increased damage from 100/145/190/235/280 to 110/155/200/245/290

Consecration
  • Increased Slow from 20% to 30%

Persephone

“Persephone is getting a sweeping list of changes to allow her players to better show their skill with Harvest while reducing her ultimate ability’s effectiveness when blindly thrown at an enemy team. Harvest will see a reduction in mechanical clunk and a quicker growth time. Additionally her Harvest Flower will now run the same distance but in a shorter time, giving opponents a smaller window to juke the plants bite. Finally, her Ultimate will now be more escapable when trapped alone and will take longer to grab onto enemies as they try to flee its grasp.”

Harvest
  • General
  • Decreased prefire time on this ability from .2s to .1s.
  • Decreased minimum distance between Harvest placements from 5 units to 2.5 units.
  • Sprout
  • Decreased time the base Harvest plant takes to evolve into a sprout from 4s to 2.5s
  • Flower
  • Decreased time the base Harvest plant takes to evolve into a flower from 24s to 16s.
  • Decreased chase time from 3s to 2.2s.
  • Increased movement speed from 440 to 600.

Grasp of Death
  • Decreased speed at which a tether will reach to grab you by 50%.
  • Decreased Attack Speed penalty from 20/22.5/25/27.5/30% to 15% at all ranks.
So I still don't really play Olorun or Persephone. I didn't know they were at a state that things needed to change.

Sobek

“Sobek previously bullied the solo lane with Guardian’s Blessing, making it difficult to truly buff him as a support. Now that Guardian’s Blessing has protections against use in the Solo lane we are bringing strength back to this God of the Nile.”

Base Stats
  • Increased HP per level from 86 to 95

Sickening Strike
  • Increased Healing per hit from 20/30/40/50/60 to 30/40/50/60/70

Sol

“Sol is seeing a variety of feels changes that will make her smoother to play. Unstable Manifestation’s heat decay was rapid, punishing Sol heavily for being out of combat for even a second. We are slowing this decay down to give more wiggle room in ability activation and picking fights. Radiance will no longer push back minions making it easier to use as a clear tool. Finally, Supernova will now deploy more quickly and provide a large burst of heat. Supernova will be more impactful both in its immediate effect and giving a second way to quickly build heat when needed. Sol is really heating things up!”

Unstable Manifestation
  • Sol loses heat less fast once Heat starts its decay (Decay speed reduced by 25%)

Radiance
  • The damage from this ability no longer causes minion hit reactions

Supernova
  • Time between shots decreased from 0.24 to 0.18
  • Increased the heat gain from firing this ability from 10 to 40
I actually really like the adjustment to Radiance. Also, Hi-Rez grammar is gud. (less fast)

Xing Tian

“Since Xing Tian’s Project Olympus patch that ironed out many issues and bugs that he had, he has surged into popularity as a top competitive support. He brings strong aggression and crowd control to any team. We are decreasing some of the extra damage from Sky Cutting Axe and the late game control of Hook Slam, keeping him in a strong position but letting other Supports compete more directly.”

Hook Slam
  • Decreased duration of Root from 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2s to 1/1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4s

Sky-Cutting Axe
  • Decreased damage from 65/85/105/125/145 to 60/80/100/120/140
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » March 5, 2020 3:20am | Report
Well Bran you heard what I said last night about devo, it was being fairly outshadowed, this small buff is probably making it a decent pickup again over bloodforge. Altough I feel transcendance still outshadows it, it could have probably used more power either in stacks or base instead of the lifesteal

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by silentshell » March 5, 2020 5:45am | Report
i like how you completely ignored my guy Sobek, Bran. :P

silentshell

Remarkable (5)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by xmysterionz » March 5, 2020 7:59am | Report
Bran you asked wtf on Devo but I think that is pretty clear the reason. TBH, why build Devo nowadays when you have Bloodforge giving the sustain + a reasonable power spike or Transcendence offering a huge power spike with CDR? Devo takes too long to get online and useful so they cleared buffed it to show that the sustain option is the DEVO and not Blood. So we end up having

1) Devo for insane sustain.
2) Trans for huge power spike.
3) Bloodforge in the middle of both sacrificing a bit the very early game due the price of this item.

Also, HR should have buffed Olorun early game because late game he is one of the strongest ADCs.

xmysterionz
<Sharpshooter>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (71)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Vini_sds » March 5, 2020 9:27am | Report
xmysterionz wrote:

Bran you asked wtf on Devo but I think that is pretty clear the reason. TBH, why build Devo nowadays when you have Bloodforge giving the sustain + a reasonable power spike or Transcendence offering a huge power spike with CDR? Devo takes too long to get online and useful so they cleared buffed it to show that the sustain option is the DEVO and not Blood. So we end up having

1) Devo for insane sustain.
2) Trans for huge power spike.
3) Bloodforge in the middle of both sacrificing a bit the very early game due the price of this item.

Also, HR should have buffed Olorun early game because late game he is one of the strongest ADCs.

I'm pretty sure that Devo's base stats got buffed, but they adjusted the lifesteal per stack so the evolved version is the same as today. Not sure tho, we'll have to wait for PTS.

Vini_sds
<Gladiator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by xmysterionz » March 5, 2020 9:33am | Report
Vini_sds wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Devo's base stats got buffed, but they adjusted the lifesteal per stack so the evolved version is the same as today. Not sure tho, we'll have to wait for PTS.

I didn't find anything about that. Here and the official site list only the buff, no adjustments.

xmysterionz
<Sharpshooter>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (71)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Vini_sds » March 5, 2020 9:46am | Report
xmysterionz wrote:

I didn't find anything about that. Here and the official site list only the buff, no adjustments.

I think they mentioned something about this during the Q&A section of the update, but I might be wrong.

I'll have to wait for the PTS to confirm this.

Vini_sds
<Gladiator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » March 5, 2020 9:51am | Report
The way they described it, it sounds like Devourer's Gauntlet just got a buff to the base stats, and stacking amount wouldn't change, so the end item would have 5% higher lifesteal (29% at full stacks).

I'm just "wtf" because I'm of the opinion that Devo's is fine where it is. I don't see the stacking requirement as a huge issue as you're still laning at that point of the game, and 24% lifesteal for a hunter is extremely solid.

It's 500 gold less than Bloodforge, and so the tradeoff is a slightly lower total power amount for significantly higher lifesteal. And the 500 gold difference there is the tradeoff for having to stack. Makes perfect sense to me.

And then if we're talking Trans...well, I don't think all hunters are best with that. Going Trans forces later sustain in lane (and typically forces Asi in the 3rd spot if you want the lifesteal earlier), where if you go Devo's, you have more options in that 3rd position... The Crusher, Odysseus' Bow, Rage or Wind Demon rush, etc.

And they did make an adjustment to Trans, and if they really think it's unbalanced, they can drop the total power by like 5 or 10.

So again, in the end, I still feel like it's a wtf adjustment.

@Shell, I think the Sobek and Cerb health buffs are nice. I've always felt those two felt more squishy, and this gives them almost 200 health boost by level 20. But I was lazy and trying to get to bed when I wrote this and didn't have any major comments on it at the time. =P
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by silentshell » March 5, 2020 11:40am | Report
Branmuffin17 wrote:

@Shell, I think the Sobek and Cerb health buffs are nice. I've always felt those two felt more squishy, and this gives them almost 200 health boost by level 20. But I was lazy and trying to get to bed when I wrote this and didn't have any major comments on it at the time. =P

how dare you try to get rest. the nerve. :P thanks for the input. I kinda always felt that way with Sobek, but it was mitigated a lot by being able to spin chasers away with the tail whip and escaping with pluck. Seeing as Cerb was buffed as well, I may give him a try. he is on my to do list, just been more interested in other gods.

silentshell

Remarkable (5)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Vini_sds » March 8, 2020 12:04pm | Report
I realized I forgot to put my opinions about the patch notes lol.

Anyway;

Kukulkan and Odin nerfs are more than welcome;
Aphrodite buffs are what I live for;
Mage's Blessing buff is useless, Chronos' T2 is still going to be the best start for mages;
• Don't see why Cerberus, Sobek and Sol needed buffs;
• Another Merlin nerf? He'll be F tier in no time.

Vini_sds
<Gladiator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }