Arena poses a totally different realm for He Bo
. Everyone knows He Bo
's strengths lie in the jungle and surprise gankfests; however, in Arena there is not much jungling opportunities and the battlefield is open wide. I will try to give recommendations based on what I have tried in Arena. Honestly, in my opinion He Bo
is not the best when it comes to Arena as there is no surprise elements from him in open space.
Arena Item Considerations:
is dangerously squishy in Arena. More than ever you will need movement to counter all the aggressive overextending gods. I have been testing around seeing if getting Spear of the Magus
is still a good option first and I honestly cannot say that it is anymore. I see myself needing the ability to move and even more so to move fast. In Arena, I start out by buying 2x Boots of Celerity
just to reinforce that movement is important for He Bo
's survival. Below are some spot items to really consider in Arena:
Shoes of Focus
- Movement is key in Arena. Unfortunately with the changes to Boots of Celerity
, movement does not trump 15% cooldown, 250 mana and 50 magic damage. These boots also help cap the cooldown percentage when using Breastplate of Valor
or Chronos' Pendant
Aegis Amulet and/or Purification Beads
- These items are almost necessary now if you are opposing Ares
, and Zeus
. If you ever get caught without these versus Ares
in a 5 v 1 situation... you are instantly dead 90% of the time. Don't be that one guy that gets pulled multiple times! If you get pulled by Ares
once... be sure to purchase one of these and do your team a favor. The only concern is the timing of the item use. Because unless you want to waste money on getting rank 3 versions of these, it takes a bit of practice/skill to be able to use these just right. Note... you can use your ultimate to get yourself out of bad situations too.
- This is almost a necessity against Odin
. Other times, you can maybe skimp out on this as your ultimate can get you out of trouble. You can go offensive with the regular Blink if you feel gutsy.
NOTE: Say NO to healing/mana potions in Arena. Relying on these is an inefficient use of your funds. Heal when low instead of buying these potions.
Breastplate of Valor
- Odd you might say getting defensive with He Bo
... but this really helps! The mana bonus, 25% cooldown, and last but not least the high physical protection! Loki
and all the other annoying physical gods can now eat it! Ultimately, the longer you last the more DPS you output.
- This item seems to be too awesome to overlook. In Arena you tend to have low health majority of the time since the battles are team battles. With a massive 100 magic power boost and the lifesteal nothing else is better at this price point early on.
Rod of Tahuti
- Like in Conquest, this item is just a must for all mages. There is no reason NOT to purchase this. I recommend getting it later in the game due to the high costs.
Rod of Asclepius
- This is something I felt is a great replacement from Polynomicon
in the main build. It has good damage, +health, and 10% movement to skeet skeet all over with the river. This is all before even mentioning the good passives for your teammates!
- Sometimes in Arena, you will face a total of 0 tanks. This is really odd so hence why this is a preference item. Other times when you see 1 or more tanks, this becomes a necessity to carve them out.
- In Arena if one person has this on your team, you could choose to omit it. This is a great item to have especially when going up against other magic damage gods. I find this to be a necessity in Conquest, not so much in Arena.
Gem of Isolation
- I am still mixed about this. I find myself not needing this as much in Arena. He Bo
is squishy so a few more hp doesn't help that great big of a deal especially since most battles are team battles. Use this if you really feel the need for more health or a way to slow enemies down for your teammates or yourself.
Book of Thoth
- If you like overkill like I do... you can consider using this for the extra 100+ magic power. I find myself having more money than I could spend due to having 10+ kills majority of the time.
- This item is insanely good in Arena. With the non stop action that can be found on the open field, you want to take every chance you have to unload your skills. This also helps with Steady Flow
buffs staying up for the majority of time. I decided this could most likely be the second item I purchase in Arena if no scary physical gods are around. Also thanks to the 15% from Shoes of Focus
, you can now cap your cooldown while having enough extra mana to use your skills.
Below shows my Arena build in action... you can't win them all especially solo queuing.
Arena Group Play Mentality:
Arena group play is tricky with He Bo
. About 50% of the games, you will have either Ares
on your team. The thing with He Bo
is that his ultimate Crushing Wave
isn't the best in combination with the other gods. In fact, more often than not Crushing Wave
can get you killed if used at a non opportune time. Sometimes a 1-1 trade off with an enemy god is not optimal in Arena due to the tick loss of 5 points. I tend to use Flood Waters and Water Cannon
right on the enemies while saving Waterspout
The key to group play is to slow and disrupt enemy gods for your team to kill. As much as He Bo
can dish out the damage, he doesn't have the awesome escapes that many other gods have to get out quick from danger. This is a serious consideration when playing He Bo
in Arena... do you really want to get that kill potentially sacrificing your own life? I wouldn't recommend it at all. Stay alive, support your teammates with Flood Waters and Waterspout
. Kill minions with ease, lure them away from your minions and punish them with Waterspout
. Sure if you are going to kill a god go for it, but keep in mind in Arena, most gods are with a teammate so you are free pickings when you use Crushing Wave
SECRET BONUS BUILD
I have been experimenting a bit with a newer build after seeing other mages like Ra
do the same. This build focuses more on mana and a balanced defense for the early game. I realized after playing a good few Arena games lately that He Bo
just dies to Loki
, and any other competent melee god. I also noticed that I would have been able to kill said Loki
if I had more mana or life left. With these two thoughts, I altered my build and opted for Breastplate of Valor
early on. The magic damage loss did not seem to hurt in my testing as I had more mana to dish out more damage. Also by maining Voidstone helps with maintaining my damage at a decent level as well as keep my magic protection up. Please if you read this and try this build out, let me know how it works out for you. I have yet to test this in Conquest... so use with caution.