Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

SMITEFire Viability Ranking Thread

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » SMITEFire Viability Ranking Thread 353 posts - page 1 of 36
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » June 1, 2015 12:42pm | Report
shamelessly stolen from the Smogon format

currently unapproved, and is thus unofficial.

Welcome to the (currently unofficial) SMITEFire Viability Rankings topic. In this thread, we as a community will rank every single usable God into "tiers." In this thread, you're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the various Gods that are usable in the current metagame and what tier they should fall under. Posts in this thread will be taken into account when deciding rank changes.

The general idea of the topic is to rank each viable God under "rankings" that go in descending order. Since this is a general tier list, everything is lumped together. There won't be any segregation between offense & defense threats.
EX: Neith can be ranked in A tier as an offensive threat, Guan Yu can be ranked under A as supportive threat and Ymir can be can also be ranked in B tier as a defensive threat. These are just examples not representative of their future or current ranks.

Below are the definitions of each rank, and they should be read be anyone that wants to participate in the discussion of God's ranks in this thread:

S Rank: Reserved for Gods that are the pinnacle of the current metagame. These Gods are able to perform a variety of roles very effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Gods in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits. These Gods define the metagame.

A Rank: Reserved for Gods that are fantastic in the current metagame, and can carry, support, or wall against significant portions of the metagame. These Gods require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits. These Gods exert a strong presence in the metagame.

B Rank: Reserved for Gods that are great in the current metagame. These Gods have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential. These Gods exert an above average presence in the metagame.

C Rank: Reserved for Gods that are mediocre in the current metagame, but have just as many notable flaws that prevent them from being effective. Gods in the C tier often require significant support to be effective. Gods from this rank tend to face a lot of competition with the more commonly used Gods. These Gods exert a below average presence in the metagame.

D Rank: Reserved for Gods that are highly mediocre in the current metagame, but are viable enough to justify their use on select teams. These Gods are only capable of doing their specific task and fail at doing anything more than that. Gods from this rank have multiple crippling flaws that prevent them from being successful a majority of the time, and are often severely outclassed because of it. These Gods exert a poor presence in the metagame.

E Rank: Reserved for Gods that are 100% outclassed in every single way, shape, and form imaginable. There is literally no reason to use Gods in this tier in any serious match. These Gods exert no presence in the metagame.

Gods to Discuss:
Spoiler: Click to view

SMITEFire Gods Ranking Tier List

(In alphabetical order)

S Rank:

Reserved for Gods that are the pinnacle of the current metagame. These Gods are able to perform a variety of roles very effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Gods in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits. These Gods define the metagame.

S Rank

Athena

Bellona

Janus

Neith

Serqet

Sylvanus

Thor

A Rank:

Reserved for Gods that are fantastic in the current metagame, and can carry, support, or wall against significant portions of the metagame. These Gods require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits. These Gods exert a strong presence in the metagame.

A+ Rank

Ah Puch

Anhur

Aphrodite

Apollo

Bastet

Hercules

Hun Batz

Eset

Medusa

Poseidon

Rama

Thanatos

Xbalanque

A Rank

Bakasura

Chronos

Geb

Guan Yu

Ra

Scylla

Sun Wukong

Vulcan

Ymir

A- Rank

Agni

Ares

Bacchus

Chang'e

Cupid

Fenrir

Loki

Nemesis

Ne Zha

Nu Wa

Tyr

Ullr

Vamana

B Rank

: Reserved for Gods that are great in the current metagame. These Gods have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential. These Gods exert an above average presence in the metagame.

B+ Rank

Awilix

Freya

Hades

He Bo

Hou Yi

Kukulkan

Kumbhakarna

Odin

Sobek

Zhong Kui

B Rank

Arachne

Artemis

Cabrakan

Hel

Kali

B- Rank

Chaac

C Rank

: Reserved for Gods that are mediocre in the current metagame, but have just as many notable flaws that prevent them from being effective. Gods in the C tier often require significant support to be effective. Gods from this rank tend to face a lot of competition with the more commonly used Gods. These Gods exert a below average presence in the metagame.

C+ Rank

Zeus

C Rank

Anubis

Mercury

C- Rank

Nox

D Rank

: Reserved for Gods that are highly mediocre in the current metagame, but are viable enough to justify their use on select teams. These Gods are only capable of doing their specific task and fail at doing anything more than that. Gods from this rank have multiple crippling flaws that prevent them from being successful a majority of the time, and are often severely outclassed because of it. These Gods exert a poor presence in the metagame.

D Rank

Ah Muzen Cab

E Rank

: Reserved for Gods that are 100% outclassed in every single way, shape, and form imaginable. There is literally no reason to use Gods in this tier in any serious match. These Gods exert no presence in the metagame.

E Rank

Nothing at the moment.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog

Rules:

-Post intelligently. One-liners and Posts like "I think God X should be in this tier" will not be tolerated.
-No flaming.
-Usage statistics may be used to support an argument or a claim, but don't base your ENTIRE argument around them. For example, you can't just say "God X shouldn't be this tier because they aren't used that often!"
-Just because you're good at a god doesn't mean that the god is good itself; it only proves YOUR skill at playing it, not the GOD's ability to function. Ex: If I decided to no-life Nox until I knew literally every single possible little nook and cranny, went into Platinum League, and get 30 kills every single game for 50 games, my statement that Nox should be in B+ would still be false.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
This is an Alpha version, created by someone who hasn't played in a long time. As such, there are probably big mistakes in the rankings, and I'll be expecting a lot of activity and nominations for about half the gods.

One of the first things that needs to be worked on is that the lower rankings need to be filled in; while it's obviously for the best if E is empty and D has one or two gods, I still think that some gods are ranked higher than they should.

I based it off of ICEN's viability rankings, with some personal edits.

Happy posting!

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FemFatalis » June 1, 2015 12:59pm | Report
Questions before I go off: Is this based on ranked or casual conquest? Are we taking into account the fact that characters can play multiple roles? Does SPL play into the viability ranking or, like ICEN's list, is this list not a "meta" list?
For Glory! An Ullr ADC Guide
A Strong Bond! An Aphrodite Solo Guide
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ‘You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.’"
-George Carlin

FemFatalis

Established (15)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Diomedes232 » June 1, 2015 1:19pm | Report
Wtf? Divios would argue with hades being placed so low on the tier list and Arteimis is still an excellent choice. Aphrodite brings so much to a team late game and really doesn't lose lane cause she has safe effective clear. Ra is good but not s tier... And to top it off Thor should be right next to Athena. There's more but I don't have time.

Diomedes232

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FemFatalis » June 1, 2015 1:57pm | Report
Not just Divios, everyone. Hades is extremely viable. Aphrodite is at least 2 ranks above Hel, as is Chang'e. Hun Batz should be A+ or S. Bakasura, Chronos, Geb, Loki, Sobek, and Sun Wukong should all be A. Ra is nowhere near S, neither is Agni, so Poseidon and Eset should replace them. Sylvanus and Bellona are S, and Bellona is almost SS.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ‘You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.’"
-George Carlin

FemFatalis

Established (15)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » June 1, 2015 2:18pm | Report
A good resource for determining tier lists is Grappul, since it's an unbiased list simply showing the gods that are most picked and banned in the most recent pro matches.

Bellona, Sylvanus, Athena and Serqet should be S+ tier, aside from that I'll need more time than I have now to get into the lower tiers (but why are Artemis and Mercury so low?)
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FemFatalis » June 1, 2015 2:20pm | Report
Mercury isn't viable, but Artemis should be A or at least B.
-George Carlin

FemFatalis

Established (15)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » June 1, 2015 2:25pm | Report
I know that Mercury isn't being played currently, but why? What changed? He was pretty highly ranked in S1
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » June 1, 2015 2:33pm | Report
Sorry guys, got tied up in an 80-minute match.

As I said, it's probably half wrong. Implementing the following changes:

Artemis to B
Hades to B+
Aphrodite to A-
Chang'e to A-
Ra to A
Thor to S
Hun Batz to A+
Bakasura to A
Chronos to A
Geb to A
Loki to A
Sun Wukong to A
Poseidon to S
Eset to S
Agni to A-
Sylvanus to S
Bellona to S

Also, guys, I am planning on having no SS rank, and an S+ rank only deserved for the gods that we ALL know are going to get nerfed. I know that release Bellona would definitely make it, but I'm not sure about this version.

Also, just saying "X should go up/down" isn't helping much. If you're going to nominate a change, please try to specify a tier. If you don't know how far you want it to drop/raise, nominate it for one rank up/down.

Also, this is for RANKED matches - by this, I mostly mean League. True competitive play will always have a slightly different meta and therefore won't help your average player much, while Casual matches aren't really a good sign of viability due to the fact you have people like me in them.

EDIT: It seems that you guys are used to DM's tierlist maker, which sports an S+ and SS. This tierlist is a lot harsher when it comes to ranking, so an S on that could net an A or A+ here.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }