Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

moba comparison thread

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 21 >>
Forum
Forum » Off Topic » moba comparison thread 203 posts - page 5 of 21
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » October 13, 2014 8:33am | Report
Also I don't think league is stealing from dawngate based on Lore. League has ALWAYS been REALLY heavy into lore. It has actual lore, it had a weekly newspaper (literally), it had the league judgements, which was exactly the trials the champion went through to get into the League (because not anyone can just join when they feel like), and even lore for each individual map. So I definitely don't think that ones stealing, although the trinket is interesting.

Also don't agree that runes are pay to win, since...you know...you *can't buy runes with money*. But mmk. I personally got to 112 champions owned and 5 full rune pages, having only bought 2 champions (release bundles that include the skin) and skins.

(On a side note, I think runes and masteries are really cool and the reason I like LoL so much. People complain it should just be removed for being cookie cutter, but I wholeheartedly disagree and love the customization to the fullest extent.)
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » October 13, 2014 9:38am | Report
I agree on the ward trinket being stolen from DG.

Also sub you forgot their reward system

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » October 13, 2014 9:57am | Report
Raventhor wrote:

Also I don't think league is stealing from dawngate based on Lore. League has ALWAYS been REALLY heavy into lore. It has actual lore, it had a weekly newspaper (literally), it had the league judgements, which was exactly the trials the champion went through to get into the League (because not anyone can just join when they feel like), and even lore for each individual map. So I definitely don't think that ones stealing, although the trinket is interesting.

Also don't agree that runes are pay to win, since...you know...you *can't buy runes with money*. But mmk. I personally got to 112 champions owned and 5 full rune pages, having only bought 2 champions (release bundles that include the skin) and skins.

(On a side note, I think runes and masteries are really cool and the reason I like LoL so much. People complain it should just be removed for being cookie cutter, but I wholeheartedly disagree and love the customization to the fullest extent.)

k so i was typing to comment in full on this but something crashed so im gonna make it short.

i never said they copied. i ment that the recent cleaning of league's lore that in going on has been influenced by the sheer force of how lore focused dawngate is. because league just has existed for so long its lore has been getting a bit confoluded and its good that they are cleaning it up.

and what i was talking about was also making a few pokes at early league's champ design vs dawngates design from the start in the shapers and how league's champs are designed better right now in terms of lore though dawngate has been doing this well from the start and still is doing it better then league imo.

example being that there are characters that are litterly only there for damacia and noxus.
katarina is a high ranking noxian who is there for noxus, swain is the master tactian there for noxus, darius is a highest general in noxus there for noxus.

garen is a high damacian general there for damacia.
j4 is a damacian prince and there for damacia.

yeah those in perticular are quiet boring designs compared to gnar being a prehistorical yordel with licantropic powers or azir or aatrox.

as for the rune thing, i did mention that they didnt cost actual money and i didnt say this strat will fool every player but atleast a few will fall for it and a few is enough.

i can get into seeing it as personalasation but on one site it is on the other even if you change some runes for a character there will always be a superior loadout.
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Swampmist1142 » October 13, 2014 10:07am | Report
OK, I feel I need to speak up here on behalf of another new moba that has seriously caught my eye and has also been mostly ignored in this thread: Strife.

Created by the same people who brought us HoN, Strife is marketed as a "Second Generation Moba" and is currently in open beta. The map is a fairly usual 3-lane affair, its top-down, and it uses the dota style of 3 abilities, Whether actives, passives or a bit of both, and an ultimate. The Biggest selling points, other than the Saturday-morning cartoon art style and the cool story, are the crafting, pets and map objectives. Also, You have a personal courier and very high out-of-combat regen, which helps new players.

Crafting is a system that fits well into the game, allowing you to use dust accumulated from completing quests and simply playing the game to change the recipe of an item. This means that you can adjust the price of items that you like, as well as the stats it gives. Also, you can add bonus passives depending on the item, although it will add to the cost. This entire system means that the itemization, while not so expansive as to be hard for noobs to get into, can be controlled and personalized better than any other moba bar maybe dawngate.

The pets are something of your rune system in the game. Using the other item that you get from winning matches and completing quests, the name of which escapes me right now, you can buy pets from a list, and you get 1 of 3 pets when you make an account. As you level your account, the [pets become stronger, getting upgrades to the active that they give you when you buy them as well as unlocking new passives and upgrades to those passives. While these can be expensive, the starter pets are the most general of all and cost about a third of the price of the others, so you don't have to worry about needing to grind for important pets.

The last point is the things that the map does differently, specifically the jungle and towers. Within the jungle there are 2 beings. 1 is your fairly standard Gold Fury equivalent, but he's actually made to be fairly easy to do, so he's often a large point of contestation early in the game and the main reason for the duo-mid meta that has developed. the other 'Jungle Boss' is an angle lady who needs much more work to take down. She doesn't just do the normal 'Big Hard Jungle Boss' thing of simply giving you a buff however. No, she summons KING BLOODY ****ING KONG into a lane of your choice about 30s later or so. He is a massive minion who STUNS TOWERS and can be a serious pain in the arse for a team that is unprepared. Thankfully, he tends to hurt himself when he attacks, so he doesn't just instantly win you the game. The rest of the jungle is fairly cool, with fast spawning camps and large gold boost minions at each side of the map, but otherwise its a fairly standard No-Buff jungle. The Towers are the other point for the map, and they are cool in that while extremely powerful, it's possible (especially in mid) to entirely bypass them adding a new element to a chase. of course, the massive power that the towers have because of this means that pushing is a pain, and that brings me to my main gripe with an otherwise very fun game.

The biggest problem with Strife is the match length. Matches that you have no chance of winning drag on endlessly because pushing towers is so hard until you get at least 4-slotted on 4 members of your team, unless you have Fetterstone then you just ult and blow up towers. Even then, the ability to draw out a game because of the towers is quite huge. And yet it doesn't stop a lane from getting a massive kill lead because of the ability to walk around the towers. heck, I've personally won a lane quite heavily but not gotten the tower before the 20 min. mark before. Again, some characters alleviate this, but the game should not have the problem in the first place. Also, the extended out

All in all, strife is a fun game to break the monotony between sessions of more serious mobas, although the newby-ness might turn some people away. I certainly suggest giving it a shot though, and I'm always up for a game ;)

Swampmist1142

Remarkable (8)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » October 13, 2014 10:19am | Report
All4 I don't think you know the lore of those champions well enough to argue on that, because a lot of those champions are MUCH more in depth than you said. I'm not speaking on dawngate's lore, because I don't know, but I don't think you know enough about league to comment on their lore either. It's so much more elaborate than you seem to think, by a HUGE margin. Just because a lot of champions are noxian/demacian/ionian/etc, doesn't mean that's all they have. Swain has one of the most extensive lores I have ever seen, so your reference to him makes me really confounded.

I absolutely do not think dawngate's arrival and success has fueled League's revamp to their lore, they just want more champions to be intertwined than there are. Like pre-lore sivir had almost no connection to any other champion, and they wanted to change it with the arrival of the new champion, Azir. While Dawngate I'm sure is an amazing game, I don't think it fueled this specific aspect of League.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » October 13, 2014 10:42am | Report
Raventhor wrote:

All4 I don't think you know the lore of those champions well enough to argue on that, because a lot of those champions are MUCH more in depth than you said. I'm not speaking on dawngate's lore, because I don't know, but I don't think you know enough about league to comment on their lore either. It's so much more elaborate than you seem to think, by a HUGE margin. Just because a lot of champions are noxian/demacian/ionian/etc, doesn't mean that's all they have. Swain has one of the most extensive lores I have ever seen, so your reference to him makes me really confounded.

I absolutely do not think dawngate's arrival and success has fueled League's revamp to their lore, they just want more champions to be intertwined than there are. Like pre-lore sivir had almost no connection to any other champion, and they wanted to change it with the arrival of the new champion, Azir. While Dawngate I'm sure is an amazing game, I don't think it fueled this specific aspect of League.

i am actually aware of swains lore as well as some of the theories surrounding him.

but i was talking from the perspective that is "outside looking in" on base level, the reason a lot of those champs were in the league is because they were representing there.

(okay swains wasnt the best to choose as an example but like i said i was in a rush and i needed to pick a few fast noxians.)

some the characters just dont have that great of back stories, i dont think anyone can deny this.

i guess we have to agree to disagree about this perticular subject.

you think riot came up with this sudden cleaning of the lore on its own and i think they at the very least go inspired by how lore focused dawngate is.

(le blank and j4 are one in the same as part of swains master plan but you didn't hear this from me shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....)
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 13, 2014 3:39pm | Report
Raventhor wrote:

I'm not against customization, but I think the Rune Page system is honestly one of the most BS parts about it. It's outdated and unfun, not only because it's a sink of IP, but IT GATES NEWER PLAYERS FOR NO REASON.

Like, you have to buy runes, rune pages, then more runes, upgraded runes, top tier runes, runes for whatever roles you want to / need to main, etc.

It's not pay to win, you got that right, but it's needlessly annoying and daunting to newer players.

Example: Last hitting is much harder without the bonus points of AD or such. Why? What's the point?

In Dawngate, there are no "tiers" of spiritstones, and everyone gets two pages filled with starter sets - and both of these loadouts are pretty damn good and versatile, too.

As for the lore, well...some of the League Judgements have some of the worst writing I've ever seen. One problem was how the entire thing felt disconnected, with no real link between each Judgement. (Like, we see Swain in Jarvan's Judgement, with zero foreshadowing or reason, and it just ends up being confusing.) There were a few well-written ones, don't get me wrong (like Lux's Judgement), but for the most part, they just felt awkward and amateur.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » October 13, 2014 5:37pm | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

As for the lore, well...some of the League Judgements have some of the worst writing I've ever seen. One problem was how the entire thing felt disconnected, with no real link between each Judgement. (Like, we see Swain in Jarvan's Judgement, with zero foreshadowing or reason, and it just ends up being confusing.) There were a few well-written ones, don't get me wrong (like Lux's Judgement), but for the most part, they just felt awkward and amateur.

True enough, but that's why they're rewriting so much lore. It isn't for lack of effort, they're actively trying to fix a lot of the 'bad' lore. I only meant that it was very in depth, so no one can argue that league doesn't have a hefty amount of lore.

On the rune page, I understand your point, I do. But gating new players doesn't really exist when you're playing with people around the same level. They have it so unless you're playing with a level 30 in a duo/etc queue, you will NEVER* EVER* be matched with a level 30. I think you don't go outside a 10 level window, iirc, but I haven't been sub 30 in a while aside from a level 10 smurf. Anywho, I still understand your reasoning, I just enjoy it nonetheless :D
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » October 13, 2014 6:14pm | Report
Super Mario was good for its TIME

Pac Man was good for its TIME

Power rangers on SNES was good for its TIME

GTA (The ones where you look down) was good for its TIME

Battle field 2 was good for its TIME

That being said, Battle field 4 is better, Halo is better, Gears of War is better, Gta 5 is better.

League and Dota was good for its time

Now we upgraded to better ****

Just deal with it

I am not going to have fun playing some Super Nitendo looking *** league of legends when I have Smite which looks like a modern game.

I don't care how much fun you have on it, I can have fun on power rangers SNES games, pac man and super mario, still doesn't change the fact that modern games just poopy on them.

Play league if you want, that **** is a EYE SORE to look at.

If I wanted to play games like League of Legends I would go and plug in a play station 1 and see the same graphics.

TOASTER OVEN KIDS FOR LIFE

I am not a toaster oven kid

If you want to play league you are playing it for the same reason you play pac man

Pac man was good, when modern games didn't **** on it Rofl

XD

Super Mario still has some of the highest selling games till this day...

does that mean it ***** on modern games? Not really, and as a kid I fiended on mario all day, I had SNES mario and Super Mario 64 or whatever it was called.

Its a fun game, but when I see Mario SNES why the hell would want to play a EYE sore like that when I have modern games that look as realistic as me looking in a mirror???

Its fun, but its not modern.

I don't care when league was made and if its in our time period still.

Very simple, first thought when I see it is it looks like a play station 1 game

Thats for toaster kids and nerdy geeks XD

If were were to rip people out of their houses who played League of Legends compared to someone who plays Smite I am positive the ones on league or more nerdy brah.

I mean there are alot of nerds in gaming

but usually you see those weird nerds playing those TOP DOWN games XD

Nobody can deny that ****!!!

There are two things everyone is forced to agree on
#1 - League looks like a play station 1 game, (Its not even on the level of a play station 2)
(Dota at least looks more modern)
#2 - Nobody can deny how many toaster kids can play League

That is all folks!

If I had to sum Smite up it would be - Modern, all of my yes, kewl sexy, I likey, pew pew, let me play more, toaster kids cry because they can't play it on their laptops or computers.

If I had to sum up League it would be - ps1 game, all of my no, not kewl, not sexy, I don't likey, no pew pew, let me not play more, toaster kids are all over league , they can play it on a potato.

If I had to sum up Dota 2 - I haven't played it so I would just say this based on the videos I seen, its looks modern ps3 game, I would have more of my yes put into that game, its more sexy and kewl.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » October 13, 2014 6:32pm | Report
I don't even know how to touch that comment so I won't.

But while I wholeheartedly disagree with everything you said, there are a few that are actively wrong.

First and foremost, that league graphics are bad - especially considering the new rework for season 5 that is changing every aesthetic involved in the main mode.

Two, that games need to be visually great? No? It's gameplay dude.

I'd prefer games not be trash talked, just compared. :)
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 21 >>
Forum

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }