Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

I'm a newbie who just can't get my head around items...Please help!

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » I'm a newbie who just can't get my head around items...Please help! 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sam Fletcher » April 16, 2014 2:34am | Report
Hey guys,
So I'm a new SMITE player and really, I'm a pretty new MOBA player in general. I've dabbled in all the others but they've never really gelled with me. SMITE, on the other hand, has really captured me. I've read guides, played games and I'm starting to really understand what the roles are, what's expected of them and what to do when you're playing as/assisting/trying to take down them.

I cannot, for the life of me however, wrap my head around the items. It's been the same in all the other MOBAs I've played really, I buy items that are recommended or are part or a build I've read online but I never really understand why I'm buying these items and, as such, I feel like I cannot properly adapt to different situations. I understand to take magical protection items when I'm getting hit with magic (and visa versa) but I cannot for the life of you tell you why I would take one in that catergory over the other (whether the auras or buffs are suited for the situation or to take the raw stats, etc.).

Is there any recourse or guide out there which can aid me with this? I'd like to not just stare at a page of items and try learn them. Ideally, the guide gives a brief run down of items and explains why or when I would take that item over another one in its group. I've searched around and can't find anything really, maybe someone here can help me...

Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate the help.

Sam Fletcher

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » April 16, 2014 3:14am | Report
Firstly, welcome to Smite Fire!

Now items are really a matter of experience. You can also watch competitive videos and streams and Drybear at Youtube.

To understand which items you should take, you must understand your role. For example, Hunters, aka ADCs, have the most inflexible builds, generally speaking. Usually they take no defensive items whatsoever. So items such as Warrior Tabi, Qin's Sais, Rage, Deathbringer, Titan's Bane, Asi, Bloodforge and Heartseeker are probably the most popular and most used.

Mages are also suppose to be a main source of damage, much like the Hunters, but they don't necessarily "must" build glass-cannon (full damage) like Hunters do. Mages usually build 1-2 defensive items, among them Void Stone, Breastplate of Valor and Mail of Renewal.

Bruisers have the most flexible builds. They can go with defensive items (e.g Hide of the Urchin), offensive items (e.g Jotunn's Wrath) or hybrid items ( Shifter's Shield). Their role is to deal damage, to CC and to soak damage. A hybrid of Assassins and Guardians.

Guardians are mainly beef-castles that need protect their carries and Mages. They are in the first line of defense and provide with lots of CC. Their items are mainly Hide of the Urchin, magi's blessing, Sovereignty, Stone of Gaia, Breastplate of Valor and others.

Assassins usually start with full damage and then towards mid-late game, they transition into bruisers. They start with lots of offensive items, such as Jotunn's Wrath, Warrior Tabi, Qin's Sais and then go with items such as Shifter's Shield, Hide of the Urchin, magi's blessing etc. Not all Assassins are like that. Unlike Fenrir or Hun Batz, there are certain "carry" Assassins such as Kali who are built for late game carnage.

If you want to find out more, you can just read guides of certain gods and they'll give you a better grip.

My Guides

If you want me to review your guide, or need help and tips, make sure to P.M me. I'll be happy to do so.

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sam Fletcher » April 16, 2014 5:31am | Report
Oh man, thank you so much for the detailed response, this is already helped me a ton. Knowing not to buy defensive items on hunters or offensive items on heroes like Sobek are exactly the type of rookie mistakes I'm making at them moment.

It will certainly come to me as I play more but this is a massive help pushing me in the right direction, thank you.

Sam Fletcher

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zaxolol » April 17, 2014 2:03pm | Report
Hey, I'm a pretty new player too (only level 12) and I was really confused about items too. Howevever, I found this video that I think will be useful for you. It's a little old, but still relevant to the current version of smite.

Zaxolol

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by WatchfulShadow » May 1, 2014 8:07am | Report
When I first started playing, this was my problem too. It was overwhelming for me. I think I just started watching videos and streams and learned from there.

And of course, as I always do for new players, I recommend tiermonster.com/god, it will give you a general idea of what you should be buying.

WatchfulShadow

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » May 1, 2014 8:09am | Report
I'm thinking of making an item compendium next (just maybe lol)

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Okajin » May 5, 2014 5:00am | Report
Thanks for the precision about some common items. Is there a guide (I didn't find it if there is...) explaining the situation when to take one or an other item? For example, difference between Deathbringer and Malice (The first that come in my mind).

Okajin

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }