Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Determining the Quality of a Build - A Basic Overview

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Determining the Quality of a Build - A Basic Overview 58 posts - page 2 of 6
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » June 25, 2017 7:16am | Report
nice post bran.

however can someoen explain why chronos pendant became a 4th or later item here? because it's still pretty good even early. (cause CDR on mages is bae)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Gulfwulf » June 25, 2017 8:32am | Report
I think it's because of the cost, Dev. That and it's not as useful as it once was. Didn't it get a nerf in a recent patch?

Gulfwulf
<Guardian Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (81)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 25, 2017 8:42am | Report
It was a combination of Chronos getting more expensive and other items becoming more functional early.

It did just get a recent buff (increase of 20 power) which helps it a bit.

But Divine ruin got a price reduction I think, with added flat pen. Spear of desolation got a huge price reduction and other adjustments. Bancroft's Talon is stronger. Things like that. Meta just sort of shifted from CDR to earlier aggression and damage.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Tlaloc1050 » June 25, 2017 8:45am | Report
Great advice! I find it quite annoying when someone doesn't build any pen and expects to deal damage.

Tlaloc1050
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (17)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » June 25, 2017 10:40am | Report
~Reading people saying bran is crazy about the amount of stuff he writes
~Me casually in my corner looking at my previous posts which I mention that he writes bibles, not texts, just waiting for a "Oh damn prism was right" comment

jk, and like HOLY **** BRAN WHY a 30 min video on how to identify good and bad builds and reasoning....
If I was doing it, it would've been a 10 min long video AT BEST, lol.

But really nice comments and tips, liked your reasoning and the way you put it, but I can't add much to this conversation

~Backs up from tv, puts on glasses and starts to make conspiracy theories on why bran didn't cover one of my guides, if it's because he actually doesn't like me, or is it because he doesn't agree with me, or he just wanted to do shameless promotion and didn't feature another editor/vet/mod in the builds so he could be in place, like as in symbolism, etc....

jk bran ilu <3 <3 <3
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 25, 2017 9:57pm | Report
Look, Pris, you asked for this...don't say you didn't.

...starts to make conspiracy theories on why bran didn't cover one of my guides, if it's because he actually doesn't like me, or is it because he doesn't agree with me

Let's start with this one...

First, you have one guide out of all of your guides that is updated for Season 4. ONE. Okay, fine, that one could be eligible. Builds look okay. But wait...

So...you're saying I should have included your guide, when you state that your items, relics, and combos sections all need to be redone/updated/completed...but no, it's cuz I don't like you AND I don't agree with you. How'd you guess? =)

...or he just wanted to do shameless promotion and didn't feature another editor/vet/mod in the builds so he could be in place, like as in symbolism, etc....

...and now you basically give away that you didn't watch my whole video. I'm so sad... =( I featured Marki's (BestMinionEver) Ne Zha guide...granted, he also says "updating in progress" but...and this is a big butt...his content is incredibly in-depth. He has extremely, specific discussion on abilities, not just as a whole but how to use them in different situations/roles...his biggest thing he needs to update is his build items sections...and he needs to touch up his warding and maps, but holy hell there's so much information...gameplay at different stages, etc.

Anyway. Does that make things clearer? Update your stuff and maybe I'll talk about yours, so that you can also not watch it. XD
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by xZeroStrike » June 26, 2017 3:13am | Report
Hm, regarding the discussion between @Branmuffin17 and @ThePerfectPrism...

Yes, I do agree that Prism should finish the guide completely before expecting a mentioning in a video showcase of how to determine whether a guide is good or not. @ThePerfectPrism, I like your guides, they're done really well but, as I've told others before, make your final product as close to finished as you can before releasing it. I know that it's hard to resist the temptation of pressing the publish button so you can see what people think of it, but try to finish it up a bit more next time, prior to releasing.

@Branmuffin17 I do, however, object with your reasoning for not mentioning any of Prism's guides. Your video isn't a Season 4 guide contest video, the video is to give people an idea of when you can call a guide good or bad. In this case, does it matter if the other guides are for Season 3? Not exactly, since they can still be very good guides, all you had to do was mention that the guide was for S3 and that the build was a good build at the time, which makes it a good guide nonetheless, people only need to realise that the build might not be as functional anymore as it was back in S3.
Note: Before you get the wrong idea, no I'm not saying "OMG you HAVE to have a Prism guide in it.", I'm only stating that I don't agree with you potentially not including any solely because they're for S3.

Aside from that, let's not pick favorites. If one person doesn't like the other, so be it, you can't like everybody. But instead of attempting to publicly expose one's flaws or issues with one another, especially on a community website, try to engage the conversation in a private message next time, to try and clear things up.

Regarding the main post: It's done really well, and is crystal clear to read. You may want to, however, re-watch your own video, Bran... You've made some very good points in your video that you don't mention here, for example not to buy stacking items in the late game, but rather as 2nd to 3rd to begin stacking early.

I know that your in-depth item discussion guide has all of that information in it, pretty much, you've already re-mentioned some of the things from that guide here, so might as well do so for the stacking items, too. Some people just can't be bothered to actually go and read the entire item discussion thing. No offense, I know you like your rambling, and so do I appreciate you creating these as I have taken some information from that as well, but others may not entirely enjoy reading an essay of 20 pages long, so to say, you feel me?

xZeroStrike
<Hunter Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bernardozomer » June 26, 2017 3:43am | Report
You guys are like:

Calm down people!!
#9e2aff #a12bfd #af29e8 #bd29d0 #c828be #d728a8 #d728b0 #e02899 #ee2891 #f02887 #d72875 #d72860
#8a42ff #9c30f6 #ab21ec #b329e4 #b829d9 #ca29c7 #d429bd #de299f #ee2887 #e62873 #e03163 #e53d44
#7b54ff #8d39f6 #a311f4 #a22afb #ae29ed #b63dc7 #a247c7 #ca3d9f #ee3175 #e6325f #e94348 #f14f2c
#676cff #793fff #910aff #871ef5 #7f2ee4 #7542da #665bc7 #8e519f #c04777 #f0464b #f2552d #fc6410
#5384ff #6545ed #7b00e0 #6b1ada #5738d0 #4356d0 #2d74cc #5c65b3 #985b77 #dc5037 #e94c1b #de4606
#3598fe #4750da #5d00a8 #4423b2 #2b46bc #1762c4 #008fcc #377b9f #636b7b #9a574e #d73a12 #c12300

Bernardozomer
<Meat Shield>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 26, 2017 7:02am | Report
@Zero, context, tone and intent can be difficult things to discern in a digital format. There's seriously no question of liking/not liking here. It was a joke, and an easily understood one from my end. I worded my response quite carefully, and also threw in my smiley faces SPECIFICALLY to try to make it more obvious I wasn't being mean. Guess it didn't work all that well,at least in this case.

That said, regarding s4 in my mind, I very specifically was thinking about using examples of guides that were up to date. If you want me to use an example, I wouldn't want to look at a guide for early game Artemis with Golden Bow, then have to say something like "oh but hey I'm just using this as an example, for any newer players watching this it's not an available item at all anymore but last season it was an essential pick so it was a good choice at the time." so, in my mind, I was only thinking about guides I've seen recently that were updated.

And there are many, many guides for s4. I just chose 3 that I'd seen and knew had good content, double checked that they were generally solid, and then used them. I knew the state of Prism's guide because I spent my own time re-reading and providing thorough comments on a guide I'd already up-voted a long time ago... I didn't even use my own guides for crying out loud!

So Jeebus, I wasn't excluding Prism as a personal vendetta or anything. Where do I come across as being that kind of person in any of my posts?

If I thought it was something that was serious enough to require a personal discussion, I absolutely would have taken it elsewhere. I have access to personal messages to Pris in multiple applications and have no problem using them or confronting him if I felt the need. I think he feels the same way. So yes, these were public posts on a community website (which I'm well aware of), and I honestly think they weren't bad posts at the time. But I understand not everyone will agree.

Back to other comments you made... I don't really like hearing myself speak, so no, I didn't watch my own ****, lol. And if you read to the bottom of my original post, or see Zilby's comment and my response, you'll see where I very clearly gave up for the time being, due to the immensity of the topic. And yes, my guide can be way too long for some to read, but it's meant for those willing to take the time to read. And I couldn't even keep my video short... I originally expected it to be maybe 15 minutes and I doubled that without even talking about everything on my mind, hahaha. Just felt it would be fun and a bit different to do a video covering some things. Maybe I'll do another one, featuring a Prism guide ;)
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by xZeroStrike » June 26, 2017 7:49am | Report
The main reason your video is so long is because... uhm, you type a lot faster than you talk...

As for you & Prism, I am very well aware that it is a joke, or at least both of you try to depict it that way through emoticons and a rather sarcastic tone to it, but a joke can just as easily turn into a conflict. And I'm talking from experience... experience that lead to a friendship that seemed to be strong enough to last forever, to be crushed in a split second to nothingness, I don't want any of the sorts happening to anyone here.

Also, I never said you excluded Prism to pick on him or whatever, I know that that's not your intention, I only said that the reason "the rest are S3 guides" was... uhm, not-good. As for S3 guides, you don't need to pick an S3 guide with Golden Bow in them and there very well are S3 builds that still work now.

xZeroStrike
<Hunter Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }