Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

SMITEFire Guide Contest: A Frosty Welcome!

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » News » SMITEFire Guide Contest: A Frosty Welcome! 43 posts - page 1 of 5
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dash » October 26, 2016 1:12pm | Report

Welcome to our new contest! It's time to test your SMITE knowledge and guide crafting skills. For the next month we're going to feature a god that you will create a guide for. The writer of the best one at the end of 3 weeks is going to get some cool goodies!

We're going to kick off this contest by featuring Ymir, the father of the Frost Giants. The contest starts today (October 26th) and will end in about 3 weeks (November 16th); the following week the guides will be judged, and the winner picked.

How Can I Join?

1. Craft a new Ymir guide, or if you already have a Ymir guide, update it to the current patch.
    • If your guide is already up to date please re-publish it so that we know you'd like to enter the contest

2. Revise and polish your guide, make sure it's in best form by the final day.
    • If you'd like more opinions or reviews on your guide just link it in this thread. Collaboration and asking for help is both expected and encouraged. :)

3. That's it! We'll judge all the guides published or updated during the contest period that fulfill the material requirements.

What Are The Rules?

• You must create or update your Ymir guide by November 16th

• Your guide must fulfill these material requirements:
    • At least 1000 characters
    • At least one build with a filled out skill order and items

• You're allowed to make changes to your guide at any time.

• Plagiarism is strictly prohibited and will automatically disqualify your guide.
    • NOTE: God builds and bbcode do not belong to any one writer and do not fall under plagiarism rules

What Will the Guides be Judged On?

Build Quality - a good guide needs a good build

What would a good guide be without a good build? If you don't buy any items you probably aren't going to do very well! So first thing's first, tell us what to buy! (under the Items tab) of your guide.

Purchases tell your readers what order they should buy their items in, it’s pretty nifty.

Depth of Information - now tell us how to play!

What order do you level your skills in? Do you wait for a certain moment to use a skill? How do you play against this god or that god? All these little details should not only teach beginners the basics, but teach experienced players little tips and tricks they may not have known before. We've jotted down a list of common topics to touch on in a guide below.
  • Skill order
  • How to use your skills effectively
  • First purchase
  • Build order and how to counterbuild
  • Tips and tricks
  • Matchups and synergy
  • Other game concepts such as team fighting, jungling, pushing, map objectives, etc

Formatting and Readability - add some polish

If your guide has typos everywhere and all the text is in bright blue it might be a little hard to read. We're not saying that every guide writer should be Rembrandt, but take some time to proofread and add some formatting to your guide to help readers quickly find important information. Below are some coding help threads, and please feel free to PM us or leave a comment if you want any more help!
Now, all you have to do is get started! Craft your guide now.

Got it! Wait... What Are The Prizes?

A Hitpoint.TV Ymir Figurine

3000 Gems ($50 worth of Gems!)

Who's Judging This Contest?

Here are our illustrious judges! However, the opinion of the community will also count towards the final decision.

If you want to assist with judging just PM Dash with your SMITE player name and why you feel like you'd be a good judge.

Fine Print

• Guide must be crafted for the featured god, Ymir.

• Open to registered SMITEFire members only. Not a member? Register now and craft your guide!

• Contest is worldwide.

• Prizes are shipped from Canada. International winners are responsible to pay for any import fees, taxes or other charges that may be applicable depending on location.

• Contest will be closed 4 weeks from the start of the contest.

• After contest is closed there will be a 1 week judging period.

• Winners will be notified by email after the judging period and will have 7 days to claim their prize.

Feel free to ask questions and whenever a guide has been posted, take a look and let the author know what you like or dislike so they can improve their work!

Thank you all for joining, let's support our talented and dedicated guide writers!

Dash

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » October 26, 2016 1:30pm | Report
Starting the bad boy now ~~~~
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Technotoad64 » October 26, 2016 1:44pm | Report
Unless there are 3+ contests like this per year, the Zhong Kui contest is not going to happen until I'm super old.
Good luck to eveybody entering this one, though.
#ffe699 #ffff99 #e6ff99 #ccff99 #afff99 #99ff99 #99ffb3 #99ffcc #99fff3 #99f3ff #99e6ff #99ccff
#ffcc33 #ffff33 #ccff33 #99ff33 #66ff33 #33ff33 #33ff66 #33ff99 #33ffcc #33ffff #33ccff #3399ff
#cc9900 #cccc00 #99cc00 #66cc00 #33cc00 #00cc00 #00cc33 #00cc66 #00cc99 #00cccc #0099cc #0066cc
#664d00 #666600 #4d6600 #336600 #1a6600 #006600 #00661a #006633 #00664d #006666 #004d66 #003366

Technotoad64
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » October 26, 2016 1:58pm | Report
Unless you MAKE a new guide for a DIFFERENT god...huh Techno? Huh? HUH?
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » October 26, 2016 2:06pm | Report
Good luck everyone! Here's just a few clarifying details on what kinds of guides you can make and how they will be judged.

Can I make a guide that's not for Conquest?
- Of course! Arena, Joust, Clash and whatever else you can think of are welcome to be submitted. Writing a Conquest guide is by no means a requirement. Admittedly Conquest does have the advantage of being one of the more complex gametypes, giving writers a lot of content to add to their guide. However as long as your guide is in-depth and offers a wealth of information, it can easily compete with and beat even the strongest of Conquest guides.

Does my guide have to be Meta?
- No, it does not! As long as your guide justifies your choices to accomplish whatever goal you seek, it can easily be a great guide. If you write a guide for facepunch Ymir but give good strategies and reasoning for your decisions, there's no reason it can't be the top guide.

Can I have more than one build?
- Of course! In fact, I would recommend having more than one build, or at least alternative item choices within a build. It's very rare that a character has one build that fits all situations the best, so an easy way to give your guide more depth is to explain some alternative item options. Don't forget relics as well!

Finally, just as a piece of advice; ask for and listen to feedback! People around the site are sure to offer all kinds of feedback on your guides, just know that they're trying to help and listening to comments on your guide is by far the fastest way to improve it and you as a player. That doesn't mean that all advice given will be good advice (sometimes you do have to stick to your guns) but I would heavily advise not dismissing advice outright. If you have a legitimate reason for rejecting feedback, provide a reasonable explanation as to why you chose to do so and reply to their comment. If you're not sure if you agree with or disagree with somebody's advice, ask them to explain it further. If you keep an open mind, you'll be surprised just how much feedback can help you!
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » October 26, 2016 2:25pm | Report
As an example of some of the things Zilby's talking about, here's my Odin guide:

Odin: Downsizing The Arena

It's specifically for Arena (not Conquest), but is in depth, provides multiple builds, gives explanations for item choices, etc. AND, if you read the comments, I've responded to pretty much all of them, and have definitely listened to, and in some cases, followed the advice of others. Comments and feedback have definitely helped me with pretty much all of my guides, and I appreciate anyone that takes the time to write.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » October 26, 2016 2:35pm | Report
Question, will the "Guardian Contest Won" Badge thing be given to the winner of nah ?

Cuz guardians are my baby and the only reason I made my first guide so yeah
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » October 26, 2016 2:40pm | Report
If you mean this

Then no, that was a badge specifically for the S2 guide contest. Idk if they plan on giving a badge with this one.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Mowen » October 26, 2016 2:41pm | Report

Question, will the "Guardian Contest Won" Badge thing be given to the winner of nah ?

Cuz guardians are my baby and the only reason I made my first guide so yeah

We'll be making a Ymir specific badge as a contest prize, so not a "Guardian" badge but there will still be a badge. ;P

Mowen
<Production Coordinator>

Distinguished (57)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by IceColdPappsi » October 26, 2016 2:45pm | Report
I am entering my Ymir guide into the contest. It shall be updated and put in tip top peak by next week. Please check it out and give some feedback. On another note, will there be prizes for runner ups of any kind?

IceColdPappsi
<Master Wizard>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }