Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Debate: Shoes of Focus, or Shoes of the Magi? (Solar Flare Patch)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » The Debate: Shoes of Focus, or Shoes of the Magi? (Solar Flare Patch) 15 posts - page 1 of 2

Poll Question:

Which Pair of Magical Shoes Are Better?
Shoes of Focus?
Shoes of the Magi?
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SolarEnvy » October 11, 2015 2:16am | Report
My Argument

While I haven't done all of the math yet, Shoes of Focus is better than Shoes of the Magi.

The reason is because:

1.) It is mathematically better, for Shoes of the Magi, you're paying:
1500 Gold
for:
+45 Magical Power
+10 Magical Penetration
+18% Movement Speed

For Shoes of Focus, you are paying:
1600 Gold
for:
+30 Magical Power
+15% CDR
+250 Mana
+18% Movement Speed
2.) With items like Book of Thoth and Spear of the Magus becoming more prominent and used in the current META, the value of Shoes of Focus rises due to Book of Thoth's passive. Which is: You permanently gain +10 Mana per stack, and receive 5 stacks for a god kill, and 1 stack for a minion kill(max. 75 stacks). Additionally, 3% of your Mana is converted to Magical Power.

When I did the math, spending a total amount of 4,150 Gold , you gain:
+160 Magical Power
(this amount does not count scaling mana you get from leveling up)
+1,000 Mana
+15% CDR
+15 MP5
+18% Movement Speed
Now, keep in mind that Gold in SMITE comes by fairly easily, so 4,150 Gold is a piece of cake.
Conclusion

So, that's pretty much my side of the argument. The reason Shoes of Focus is better because the deduction of mana sustain on Shoes of the Magi, is not worth the +5 Magical Power that it gives.

I'm curious, what are your opinions on this?

SolarEnvy

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » October 11, 2015 5:07am | Report
The debate between which shoes to get has always tripped me up. There really isn't a right answer, I think.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » October 11, 2015 5:11am | Report
Tbh ? Focus is always better late game than pen boots... Hence why I always use it on Aphro
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » October 11, 2015 6:13am | Report
Depends on the god you're playing and what you prefer. For the most part though, Shoes of Focus are the better choice except on gods like Scylla, Ao Kuang, Freya, etc.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by iReauxbot » October 11, 2015 6:42am | Report
BUT but..CDR bruh..

iReauxbot

Memorable (11)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » October 11, 2015 9:04am | Report
I like magi more for early game bursters late game focus is always better 9I remember the times magi was more used then focus on mid mages)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » October 11, 2015 10:38am | Report
Can you be a lane bully/jungler early game or need them to stay relevant ( Scylla)? -> Shoes of the Magi

Else -> Shoes of Focus
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wayne3100 » October 11, 2015 12:34pm | Report
I have to say I'm a little confused about the fact that you (imo) don't properly back up some of the claims you make.

1) Saying something is "mathematically better" really doesn't mean much without the numbers to back it up, which is why it seems a little odd to mention that after declaring you haven't done all the math yet :P

Alternatively, you may have left the numbers out since you said at the end of your post that the difference in Magical Power between the two items is 5 instead of 15 and therefore thought doing calculations was unnecessary. Either way, it's important to determine how much gold a difference of 15 Magical Power and 10 Magical Penetration translates to and how that compares to the CDR/Mana from Shoes of Focus.

However, there's one tiny problem when trying to do this: as far as I know, Hi-Rez hasn't actually told us how much every stat in this game is worth. As such, the best way to get an estimate value is to do calculations based on the stats and gold costs of some of the base items, but even that is a nowhere near perfect method. After all, every item in the game has its own "gold efficiency ratio"; some provide exactly as much as you pay for, while others are (slightly) more efficient or inefficient. For example, without even doing any math, it should be clear that using Magic Focus to determine how much 15 Magical Power is roughly worth would lead to a completely different outcome than the more gold-efficient Soul Reliquary, which provides more Magical Power and extra Mana for an overall lower price.

On top of that, some of the other users in this thread have already rightfully pointed out that other factors influence an item's value as well. If your God has such high cooldowns that you'll only be able to use one spell rotation per teamfight, amplifying the damage of that rotation will always prove more efficient than investing in CDR, for example.

For the record, I'm not trying to state that you're wrong in saying that buying Shoes of Focus is mathematically better (in fact, I have no idea whether you are or not), I'm just curious to learn how you reached that conclusion based on the stats alone.

2) While you are right to point out that there's some synergy between Shoes of Focus and Book of Thoth, I feel like I should mention that 3% of the 250 Mana which Shoes of Focus provides is only 7.5 Magical Power. As a result, combining Shoes of the Magi with Book of Thoth should provide 250 less Mana, but still 7.5 more Magical Power. Obviously, there's a decent chance that this synergy makes Shoes of Focus more gold-efficient than Shoes of the Magi overall if it wasn't already (since the gap in Magical Power between the two still becomes smaller with Book of Thoth involved than without it), but I just figured it's worth pointing out.

Also, I feel like some of your numbers are slightly off:

- You state that Book of Thoth + Shoes of Focus provides 1000 Mana (once fully stacked). Shouldn't this be 250 ( Shoes of Focus) + 125 ( Book of Thoth base mana) + 750 (stacks of Book of Thoth) = 1125?
- As a result of what I mentioned above, shouldn't the Magical Power also be slightly higher (= 163.75, which is 7.5 lower than the 171.25 provided by a fully stacked Book of Thoth + Shoes of the Magi)?

...That should be all I have to say about this for now :P

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (45)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » October 11, 2015 1:11pm | Report
@Wayne, I don't think gold-stat efficiency is as relevant with these two items in particular compared to many others. Late game, Shoes of Focus have always been more gold efficient, 15% CDR is just a more valuable stat at that stage in the game. While 10 penetration isn't very valuable later on, it's an awesome power boost for a first item only costing ~1600g, which is why Shoes of the Magi is still a viable item (the power difference actually matters less than the penetration difference, that's why when they took away Shoes of the Magi's 10 penetration at the beginning of S2, it became kind of worthless).

Basically what it comes down to is how much you can get out of that item at that stage in the game. If you're going to be getting more out of Shoes of Focus, go that route. If you're getting roughly the same, get Shoes of Focus since they're better late game. If you're getting more out of Shoes of the Magi, enough to justify their lesser worth later on, go that route. As long as you can justify getting Shoes of the Magi, you can pick them up, the recent change to their mana just makes them harder to justify comparatively.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wayne3100 » October 11, 2015 3:23pm | Report
I talked about that because he called them "mathematically better", I realise that math in many cases is far from the most efficient way to answer a question like this properly.

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (45)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }