Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Patch 5.14, "Goddess of Volcanoes" - Bran's Thoughts

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Patch 5.14, "Goddess of Volcanoes" - Bran's Thoughts 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » July 27, 2018 1:01pm | Report
LOL Lookie what I can do! XD (Hope you're not mad I'm snagging your code, Wayne...your post beat my writeup)

Wallpapers: 1920×1080 | 2560×1440 | 3840×2160 | 1080×1920

You can now find Pele in the Guide Builder!

Passive - Everlasting Flame

When Pele drops below 50% health her flame is set alight, and she gains increased Physical Power, Lifesteal and Ability Lifesteal. This passive has a 20s cooldown.

Power: 5+2 per level
Lifesteal: 40%
Ability Lifesteal: 20%
Cooldown: 20s
Duration: 6s

Holy lifesteal boost!!! Do you guys see that??? And even ability lifesteal??? 45 added power? That's some really nice burst function at low health, geez.

Pyroclast

Pele flourishes and fires out a magma orb ahead of her in a line. Once the fiery projectile reaches maximum distance it hovers for a brief instant, solidifies, and then returns back in pieces, dealing damage to enemies on the way back. The number of shards returning is dependent on the rank of this ability.

Pele has 2 charges of this ability.
Damage: 60/100/140/180/220 (+60% of your physical power)
Return Damage: 30 (+10% of your physical power)
Range: 60
Cooldown: 14s
Mana Cost: 40/45/50/55/60

Having multiple charges (sorta like Agni's ult) is pretty cool. 2x(220 + 60%) seems pretty strong. With the low cost...HR, please adjust to {40/75/110/145/180} damage.

Eruption

Pele fiercely erupts energy into the ground, exploding in an area around her, causing damage and Knockup to all enemies. At ranks 3 and 5 the area expands again at a delay, dealing less damage and a smaller Knockup.

Three Exploding circles
Inner Damage: 100/140/180/220/260 (+80% of your physical power)
Outer Damage: 80/120/160/200/240 (+60% of your physical power)
Knockup: 280/240/200
Radius: 15/25/35
Cooldown: 15s
Mana Cost: 60/65/70/75/80

Knockup? Strongest CC in the game, and you give her a delayed 35 unit AOE radius at rank 5? On an ASSASSIN?

Magma Rush

Pele starts to churn the land around her, dealing damage to nearby enemies and giving her constant movement speed while this ability is active. Toggle this ability again to enter an amplified state, expending more fuel but dealing more damage and providing additional movement speed. This ability has no cooldown but uses a fuel gauge and cannot be activated when below 10 fuel.

Damage: 20/25/30/35/40 (+10% of your physical power) every 0.5s
Amplified Damage: 40/50/60/70/80 (+20% of your physical power) every 0.5s
Movement speed: 30%
Amplified speed: 60%
Initial Fuel Cost: 5
Mana Cost: 10
Cooldown: 0s

Fuel gauge is cool, and I like the toggle on/off. WTF on that freaking 60% amplified MS! Know what, though? Without a normal escape (dash in ult only), I like the application.

Ultimate - Volcanic Lightning

After a short warm up, Pele dashes forward dealing massive damage and a slow to the first enemy God hit, and dealing additional damage to enemies behind in a cone. For the next 10 seconds or 3 attacks, every time Pele hits an enemy with a basic attack, additional damage is dealt behind the enemy as well.

Damage: 200/280/360/440/520 (+60% of your physical power)
Extra Damage: 100/140/180/220/260 (+40% of your physical power)
Range: 60
Slow: 30%
Slow Duration: 6s
Cooldown: 90s
Mana Cost: 100

Interesting Acid Spray effect after the first god hit, carrying over to 3 basics. That's pretty high damage, though, and combined with her passive if she's hurt...and a 6 SECOND SLOW??? MY GOD.

NEW GOD SKINS

Primal Storm Susano
Molten He Bo
Mystic Guardian Athena
Exclusive
Exclusive
Exclusive

Mastery Skins | Pele
Mastery

(I like that Athena skin. And honestly, they did a great job on Pele's design.)

MISC.

New Cosmetics
  • Polynesian Loading Frame
  • Polynesian Music Theme
  • Cutesy Pele Avatar
  • Primal Storm Fountain FX
New Announcer Pack
  • Primal Storm Announcer Pack
New Emotes
  • Pele Clap
  • Pele Wave
Awesome Chest
  • New Additions to the Awesome Chest
    • Electric Dream Nox
    • Chompy Chibi Fenrir
Fantasy Points Store
  • New Additions to the Fantasy points Store
    • Beamy Chibi Ra
    • Bizzy B Cupid
    • Scarlet Coven Isis

PROJECT OLYMPUS

Ranked Joust
  • Increased the second ban phase from 1 ban to 2 bans (total bans increased from 3 to 4).
Jungle Practice
  • Added a pad for players to add protections to Odin Bots
  • Added a pad for players to spawn minion waves in the Tower/Phoenix area
Arena
  • Decreased the minimum respawn time from 20s to 10s to make deaths less punishing in the early game or on losing teams
Triumphant Chests
  • Have been relocated to the "Play" Screen on Xbox and Ps4
Prompt for Report
  • Decreased the likelihood of being prompted for reporting due to frequent deaths.

BUG FIXES

Clash Phoenixes
  • Fixed death animations and attack animations
Joust XP Camp
  • These should now correctly appear as Tigers, not Cyclops.
Fountains
  • Will now only heal or damage Gods (what, instead of giving people a beautiful water display?)
General
  • Fixed an issue where some percentage increase or decrease effects were not additive
    • For example: an item with 20% increased damage dealt and 15% damage dealt should result in 35% damage dealt
      • Sundering Spear
      • Runeforged Hammer
      • Bakasura's Take Down
      • Artemis's Still Target

• The Popular Items tab will now default to showing Tier 3 items
Audio
  • The following Voice Packs and Announcer Packs have been remastered for more consistent quality and volume
    • Announcer Ddot
    • Khepri Steel Scarab
    • Neith Scarlet Dangerfield
    • Odin Pandamonium
    • Raijin Drum's Out
    • Rama Nature's Guardian

• The following Abilities have been remastered for more consistent quality and volume
    • Secret Agent Apollo's Ultimate
    • Guan Unicorn Guan Yu's Basic Attacks
UI
  • Fixed an issue where bank time could appear in Normal matches after playing a ranked match
  • Fixed issues where the scoreboard was sometimes missing players
Spectator
  • Fixed an issue where gods/items could get out of order if a player disconnected
Commendation System
  • Fixed an issue where the screen would be off-center on some resolutions
  • Fixed an issue where the skip button would not work sometimes
    • Changed the text of this button from "skip" to "continue" to make it clear your commendations are saved even if you leave the screen early
  • Fixed an issue where commendations were not counting for the correct progress amount
Items

Ethereal Staff
  • Fixed an issue where a god could have more than 3 debuff stacks if multiple opponents had the item
Gods

Ah Puch

Empty the Crypts
  • Fixed an issue where his Ultimate was damaging structures
Artio
  • Fixed an issue where spamming stance change could cause the bear to T pose
Bakasura
  • Fixed an issue where Take Down debuff would display confusing damage calculations in the combat log
Chernobog
  • Chernobog can no longer recall to base while inside of a wall
Freya
  • Fixed an issue where her abilities were highlighting too many enemies
Hel
  • Fixed issues where certain Hel skins would not play certain audio emotes on certain skins
Mercury

Fastest God Alive
  • Fixed an issue where the Movement Speed from Bumba's Mask would not provide additional Power until something else updated his Movement Speed.
Scylla
  • Fixed an issue where the item stack pad would fully stack her passive in Jungle Practice
The Morrigan
  • The Morrigan's ultimate now copies the target gods item stack number and evolved items
  • The Morrigan will now gain the correct amount of gold while in her ultimate form
  • Fixed issues where The Morrigan could be hit by certain effects more than once when reverting out of her ultimate
Thoth
  • Fixed an issue where his ability targeters werent always highlighting enemies in the area over walls.

ITEM BALANCE

Atalanta's Bow

"Atalanta's Bow has seen a lot of adjustments throughout Season 5. Its core design goal is to give Hunters access to additional Movement Speed. While this item is something Assassins or Warriors could use, they have access to powerful options in the Katana tree. We feel Atalanta's Bow is fairly statted and viable in some situations, even if it has not caught on yet. We are shifting some of the Movement Speed to be available all the time, with less of the weight being on the passive. This tweak should help it be a more consistent Movement Speed option for our Hunters."
  • Added 10% Movement Speed
  • Decreased Max Stacks of the passive from 4 to 3
  • Decreased Movement Speed per stack from 7% to 5%

I like this adjustment. Not sure if I'll pick it up anywhere, but I definitely think this is a positive adjustment. F any Bakasuras picking this up though.

Gladiator's Shield

"Season 5 came with a full redesign of starter items, which caused the loss of Death's Toll. This had a large impact on Warriors that relied on basic attacks. Basic Attack Warriors dominated Season 4, but have fallen behind in Season 5. We are giving these gods access to an effect similar to Death's Toll through Gladiator's Shield. Although it can only be accessed a little later in the game, this change to Gladiator's Shield should help bring them back."
  • Added component to this item where Basic Attacks heal 0.5% of your Maximum Health and Mana on successfully hitting an enemy
  • Updated description to clarify these heals can trigger multiple times per ability or basic attack, scaling on number of targets hit

I find this very interesting, and very nice, especially for Bellona, Osiris, etc.

Fighter's Mask
  • Updated Description text to show classes who can buy the item

Rangda's Mask

Protector's Mask

Lono's Mask

"Lono's mask has been fulfilling its design goal of letting other classes flex into Supports. We have seen one specific case that seems to be the clearly powerful choice for this item: Healing Mages. These mages don't feel the sacrifice in damage as much as other gods because they rely on healing. To even this out across all types of Gods, Lono's mask will now cause the wearer to sacrifice healing done as well as damage done."
  • Added a new sacrifice stat to the passive
    • -20% Healing Done

This works. Sucks for those wanting to play healers as Support, but I didn't really want to do that very much anyway. I'm more interested in Nox / Assassin supports as alts. Also gives better emphasis to those standard tanks with healing in their kit.

GOD BALANCE

Achilles

"Achilles had a strong release, using his incredible early game to really bring the pain to his opponents. While his overall performance wasn't stand out, this pressure caused him to be a popular pick and ban in ranked and competitive, so much so that it took multiple nerfs for players to really start opting for different picks. Now that his prevalence has begun to subside we want to shift his power."

"We are bringing down his offensive power in the early game with a nerf to Combat Dodge's cooldown and damage, as well as the bonus Radiant Glory brings at rank 1. However, his late game is getting an increase, with a direct buff to his defensive capability and the bonus scaling provides from Radiant Glory. While he will still bring early pressure, it shouldn't be as difficult to manage and his overall performance won't be determined by how hard he carries the first half of the game."

Gift of the Gods
  • Health Bonus increased from 35 + 10 per level to 25 + 15 per level
    • 235 to 325

• Protections Bonus increased from 5 + 1 per level to 5 + 1.5 per level
    • 25 to 35
Radiant Glory
  • Physical Power and Protections now scale from 15% to 10/12.5/15/17.5/20%.
Combat Dodge
  • Cooldown changed from 12s at all ranks to 14/13/12/11/10.
  • Damage Reduced from 55/95/135/175/215 to 50/90/130/170/210.

I think this is good.

Bakasura

"We are continuing a pass on shorter gods to make their camera heights match default gods. This can have a significant impact on visibility and feel for these gods. There are still more camera height adjustments to come so this won't be the last patch you see this type of note. Also it should be known that we will not be decreasing the camera height of tall gods. Tall gods need that extra height to make sure they can see the battlefield."

General
  • Increased Camera Height from 42 to 64

Scylla

General
  • Increased Camera Height from 36 to 64

Vamana

General
  • Increased Camera Height from 36 to 64

Freya

"The Valkyrie has returned to SMITE in a big way after update 5.13. Her adjusted abilities give players more flexibility than ever and smooth out Freya's power curve. She still seems to feel a bit too much like a burst mage and not enough like a Mage ADC. We are decreasing the late game damage of her AoE burst to reduce this feeling. We are also decreasing her mana cost for using ranged Basic Attacks. This will allow Freya to play like a hunter more often."

Northern Lights Northern Lights
  • Decreased Magical Power Scaling from 60% to 50%
Aurora Blade Aurora Blade
  • Decreased Mana Cost per shot from 25/33/41/49/57 to 20/25/30/35/40

Thank you gods. That's much more reasonable mana use. I'm okay with less burst from Northern Lights. Also think a bit more needs to be done on ranged clear on Aurora Blade. Seems too strong right now.

Skadi

"The Goddess of Winter and her loyal Wolf haven't been making much of a showing lately on the battlefield of the gods. Kaldr has been the target of many nerfs over his lifetime, and how that his damage and tankiness seem to be in good spots, we want to increase his uptime. Kaldr can regenerate HP faster to make sure Skadi players get to use him often. We are also giving Skadi a slight cooldown buff to her primary clear ability to help her early lane phase."

Kaldr, The Winter Wolf
  • Decreased time taken to regenerate 1 hit point from 10s to 7s
Piercing Cold
  • Decreased cooldown from 15s to 14s

This is nice for Skadi players. Happy, Gulf? Seems good to me.

The Morrigan

"SMITE's most difficult goddess has dropped lower than we anticipated. One factor that is limiting her is her ability to more directly compete as a mage during the laning phase. Her early clear being weak was not a specific design choice, but a result of balancing the flexibility she brings to a team. It can be seen now that it was too low and hurt her too much. We are increasing the amount of damage Dark Omen deals to minions by a significant amount to help The Morrigan more closely match the pace of other mid laners."

Dark Omen
  • Increased Minion Bonus Damage from 20/35/50/65/80 to 40/70/100/130/160.

Vulcan

"The smith of the gods is getting some much needed upgrades to his forging tools. Backfire will now go through walls, helping this god get more successful hits in the jungle. Also Inferno Cannon will gain a new feature that deals more damage to tanky gods. This ability has always paired well with lockdown but its lack of penetration really holds it back in these scenarios. Vulcan should now become a top pick for his ability to provide consistent follow up damage."

Backfire
  • Now goes through walls
Inferno Cannon
  • Now Cannon deals damage as if the target had 25% less magical protections

Like serious? Cannon has % pen! LOL

And... Backfire goes through walls...that makes a lot of sense. *shakes head*

*Source: The Official Patch Notes

Obviously the highlight of this patch is Pele, and she looks awesome. They're still not sure what to do about Freya, though. I haven't spent any time (other than quick Jungle and one ARena game) with her, so I gotta do that.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Gulfwulf » July 27, 2018 1:27pm | Report
Oh I'm very happy with the Kaldr buff; now I can be even more annoying with her!

Gulfwulf
<Guardian Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (81)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wayne3100 » July 27, 2018 3:06pm | Report
Branmuffin17 wrote:

(Hope you're not mad I'm snagging your code, Wayne...your post beat my writeup)
Honestly, I'm mostly impressed you were able to make sense of that mess of BBCode to add comments in the right places.

Might give Pele a whirl once she's released, I caught some footage from her in the patch notes show and her abilities looked fun.

Thanks to Janitsu for the signature!

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (45)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Tlaloc1050 » July 28, 2018 1:36am | Report
From a mythological standpoint I expected her to be a guardian; something very similar to Terra. Instead of wielding blades like an acolyte.

Anyway, is Pyroclast activated like Thoth's Hieroglyphic Assault? Or like Agni's Rain Fire? If it's like Thoth's would it stack with Volcanic Lightning?

Tlaloc1050
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (17)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Gulfwulf » July 28, 2018 1:47am | Report
Tlaloc1050 wrote:

From a mythological standpoint I expected her to be a guardian; something very similar to Terra. Instead of wielding blades like an acolyte.

HiRez said they wanted to do something different with Pele, so they made her an assassin instead of a guardian.

Gulfwulf
<Guardian Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (81)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Tlaloc1050 » July 28, 2018 3:51am | Report
I see...

Tlaloc1050
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (17)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DV-8 » July 29, 2018 1:29am | Report
I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on the Gladiator's Shield change.

DV-8
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (35)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kriega1 » July 29, 2018 5:00am | Report
Glad shield is 0.5% not 1% they changed it before PTS.
Kriega1

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (143)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » July 29, 2018 8:54am | Report
Updated the notes to change the passive to 0.5% per basic attack. That extra note about "scaling on number of targets hit" makes me think they mean additive. It's not lifesteal, so doesn't have the 0.33x coefficient.

Let's consider those #s. So, early game, still not having Death's Toll as a starter still makes it a bit harder for basic attackers. If they do pick up Gladiator's Shield, they can try for it as 1st item (even before Boots) or as 2nd item. Keep in mind, though, this is a physical item to counter physical gods...so if they're facing a magical god, they're SoL.

Let's say level 5. At level 5, Bellona has 905 health. 0.5% = 4.525. So...4.5 health and mana back per enemy hit (and it's enemy, not just god, so this works on the wave). Bludgeon is likely to most commonly hit 3 minions, so we can expect 13.5 health/mana per hit. That seems...okay. If boxing, say Osiris is attacking a singular enemy...eh, 4.5 per hit is maybe not quite enough to really give sustain, especially against gods that have healing already in their kits.

Let's consider the pre-deleted Death's Toll. Before it was gone, I believe it provided 8 health/4 mana on first enemy hit, with subsequent enemies providing 4 health/2 mana. For Bell with those same 3 minions, that was 16 health and 8 mana. Not as much mana, but a bit more health...and more importantly, in a starter item.

This is an important distinction, because having access to it at the beginning of a game, when health is lower (Bell @ level 1 has 565 health, which is significantly below the 905 at level 5), makes it significantly more impactful.

In the end...I'm thinking the 0.5% isn't quite enough, soon enough, to have a huge impact, though anything at all will be appreciated (keep in mind it still heals more on ability damage on gods, so this is just in addition). Also, doesn't help against magical gods.

It's a very targeted buff with minor impact at most, but still a nice item overall. Maybe the recent Glad Shield buffs sort of push people toward Guardian Solos too, which isn't good for Warriors.

Thoughts?
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Gulfwulf » July 29, 2018 9:59am | Report
I know it's terrible in assault and should never be picked up there.

Gulfwulf
<Guardian Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (81)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }