Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Any Plan?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Any Plan? 85 posts - page 2 of 9
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » January 27, 2014 3:26am | Report
It's funny. I never really saw the guide section SmiteFire has as a big issue. I've rarely even seen it talked about here until a bunch of people on Reddit started *****ing about various problems they have with SF's guides.

Sure, the guide section for each god can look cluttered, especially when you're seeing a ton of low rated guides, but I just figured that new people trying to find guides or builds for a certain god would only look at the first few, top rated guides, most of which are good guides to go by.

Now, I highly agree that it would be nice if there was some kind of community vote that could, like Sunfall said, force the guide into an archive and notify the creator that their guide needs some work, possibly having notes and suggestions from other people. That, and automatically archive old/out-of-date guides so that they're out of site, but could be worked on by the creator.

I won't lie, Tiermonster is nice for various reasons, such as the "Common Builds" for each god in nearly every game mode, but then again, I have honestly never used Tiermonster for anything other than as a read through. Anytime I've needed help for a certain god or role, I've just read the guides on SmiteFire. Whatever part of the guide worked for me, I continued using it. Whatever didn't, I made my own personal changes.

SmiteFire could make plenty of changes to its guide area, and most of the changes mentioned by everyone in this thread would be nice, but in the end, it's just going to come down to personal preference. Some people now prefer Tiermonster, some people now prefer SmiteFire. I can't really think of any crazy drastic thing that could be changed that would sway people away from their current preference.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 27, 2014 3:28am | Report
^ Oh gods, yes. What he said. TM isn't the end-all database of holiness and pubstomping. It's the equivalent of light reading.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dark Jaw » January 27, 2014 3:34am | Report
We're on a impass. People complain about bad guides, but then they complain about downvoting a bad guide? Madness.

I decided to use Tiermonster when it first came out. But I realized how dull it was to make a guide, and it wasn't mainly focused on that. So I stopped using it, and now I only go there to see my own stats.

Quoted:

Frankly, I think most of TM's playerbase are more interested in the person behind the guide rather than the guide itself.

Quoted for the truth. Maybe because Tiermonster was made by ''famous'' Smite streamers? Or maybe because you can see Pro's builds?

Don't you see the example of Odin's Solo Lane guide by Allied, on our site? It doesn't even explain the itemization!

Dark Jaw

Prominent (44)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Setolino » January 27, 2014 3:39am | Report
Well sub,saying Stuff like that about reddit, isnt very Smart at all, it is pretty much the playerbase, Even if i hate reddit cuz i want a offical Forum?... You could atleast try to understand what are the problems for the players about this Site and try to change it with the other admins, Editors whatever your Job is.

Quoted:
Quoted for the truth. Maybe because Tiermonster was made by ''famous'' Smite streamers? Or maybe because you can see Pro's builds?

Don't you see the example of Odin's Solo Lane guide by Allied, on our site? It doesn't even explain the itemization!

Thanks again for show me what is the problem about this site, Allied guide is awesome, i mean his build is more then solid.

He tell how to play odin in short words, and not with a wall of text.
If something missing you gonna hate it already.

No comment for real...
"Wololol" -Age of Empires

Setolino
<Godlike>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dark Jaw » January 27, 2014 3:49am | Report
Setolino wrote:

Well sub,saying Stuff like that about reddit, isnt very Smart at all, it is pretty much the playerbase, Even if i hate reddit cuz i want a offical Forum?... You could atleast try to understand what are the problems for the players about this Site and try to change it with the other admins, Editors whatever your Job is.

Thanks again for show me what is the problem about this site, Allied guide is awesome, i mean his build is more then solid.

No comment for real...

My only problem with the guide is no explanation for the items. Other than that, I would be fine with it.

Dark Jaw

Prominent (44)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » January 27, 2014 3:57am | Report
I tried to copy my guide to tier monster and i need to edit it to remove the bb coding and i accidentally press back and bam, 2 hours of working is gone .....

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 27, 2014 4:00am | Report
Setolino wrote:

No comment for real...

Sychophant: a person who acts obsequiously toward someone important in order to gain advantage. A bootlicker. *********.

Go look at the guide. All of you, who are seeing this thread post, please, go have a look. Right here.

Apparently, this is a guide that tells you how to play Odin. And the build is apparently all you need for an "awesome" guide.

...I have nothing more to say. Setolino, if this is a good guide to you, then you have no idea how to play the game. What else can I expect, from someone who plays nothing but casuals with no Midas Boots? Yeah, I went there.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » January 27, 2014 4:03am | Report
the most problems i see from a guide that has only a build only or just a little bit of explanation, you can copy it, like copy it

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 27, 2014 4:05am | Report
Thanks, Setolino, for telling the class what the worst of Tiermonster is like. A group who refuse to knowledge a guide's faults, who blindly follow big name gamers while having little experience with the game itself.

Edit: I know that Tiermosnter has reasonable people in it.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » January 27, 2014 4:09am | Report
TM is easy and it takes you 10 sec to find a build and that is all most of the ppl need. Like if you know how to play the game and you do not need a guide to tell you stuff like (using myself as an example) how to use Armillary Sash Smitefire is just to in depth.

IMO Smitefire could be so much better than TM, the guides are a million times better just because of all the tools you got compared to on TM.

Most of my friends from Smite are not from Smitefire and most of them have the same impression as the ppl on Reddit. "It is full of bad builds/guides" "it is outdated" etc etc. And if they check it what do they see, well a ton of outdated guides (except for a few ofc). They do not use TM to read a guide, because they do not need to read a guide to know how to play the god. All they need is a idea on how the god can be built.

When I show them some of the guides that actually have some work and effort put into them, they are impressed.

TM is focused on tracking stats, tournaments and other community stuff. And they do that very well.

Smitefire is focused on guides. And I think focusing on quality more than quantity would help out a lot.

Smitefire is superb for learning a god, TM does not give you anything if you've never played the game and got your mind set on learning how to play Ne Zha. All it does is give you a item build, how to spec your skills and a wall of text explaining the basics.

So by all means Smitefire is miles ahead of TM when it comes to guides. If we get rid of all the outdated and bad guides ppl won't have that to be annoyed about and it would make a huge improvement on the overall experience.

For us who are used to the site it does not matter, but I remember when I first came to the site. If I read a guide/build that had high rating it would not have mattered if it was totally BS. I could have gone support Ne Zha if someone said that was a good idea, or Boots of Celerity Artemis.
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }