Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Any Plan?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Any Plan? 85 posts - page 5 of 9
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » January 27, 2014 5:55am | Report

Because TM shows the most common build for that god, when played by the top players in the world.

On Smitefire the top rated guide could have been made by someone who have never even played the game. :P

But as others have said before, a build means nothing if you cannot explain why it works. Only a true sheep would follow something just because someone said so.

Guides really do need to explain the choices. Why should I build a Focused Voidblade? What is reasoning behind the Witch Stone? Why are any of these items built in the sequence they are listed in? And can this build order work if you or your team isn't doing so well, or does it only work when you're ahead? If you cannot explain any of this, then it is meaningless.

Gameplay also plays a vital role when it comes to gods. Not all gods play the same, and many of them demand different approaches compared to others. I can play Nu Wa very well for example, but if I'm forced to use Zeus, I will proceed to do poorly because his playstyle is completely different from what I'm used to. The approach and mentality I use for Nu Wa would not work so well on other gods. Players like myself really want to know how I should actually be using a new god.

It's important for players to understand what they should be doing as a certain god. For those of you who were around back when I made my Arachne guide late 2012, it was among the first guides to really go into detail about stuff. It explained why I considered my item choices to be good, and it explained the general approaches that should be taken when engaging opponents in various situations. It provided so much insight that many guides at the time lacked, and it quickly became one of the top guides for a long time. It's pretty much where I got most of my reputation on this site in the first place, and it's the standard that I, HiFromBuddha, and a few others set that most of us uphold to this day.

While it is certainly true there are a lot of bad guides out there, I feel that simply complaining about SMITEFire and telling people to use other sites is not the answer. This community allows it's members to be proactive: if you truly think a guide is bad, downvote it and comment on what's wrong with it, and suggest ways to improve it. Give some kind of proof as to why it's not good. Constructive criticism and guidance is a far better solution than hasty dismissal.

EDIT: Holy Mercury this thread is moving fast!
Waiting on a good new MOBA, please.

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 27, 2014 5:57am | Report

Then you would have to read the reviews etc. and that takes more than the 10 sec it takes to go to TM and look up a god :P

And to everyone who is talking about ppl saying that TM having better guides than Smitefire. No one ever said that!

Actually, they did. PowaManG, a LOT of people on reddit (no, seriously, a LOT), and Setolino. Prolly a bunch of others.

Edit: Apparently, Smitefire is filled with outdated guides and moderators who care only about useless clutter. Their guides also suck because they fill them with useless **** and "they can't be read while in the lobby*."

*I keep repeating this because I was literally told this on Reddit.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Setolino » January 27, 2014 6:05am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Actually, they did. PowaManG, a LOT of people on reddit (no, seriously, a LOT), and Setolino. Prolly a bunch of others.

"if I need a guide, i'll go to tiermonster. If for whatever reason that site is down, I'll consult a chimpanzee, and if he is busy, I might just check out smitefire."

Guys for real, this site isnt that popular atm, the problem why ppl say sth like that even it was a joke is that there a tons of stupid builds/guides on this site. On tiermonster they are not great either but like other said already tiermonster is for player that know how to play already the game.

Btw sub where did you get that quote from, didnt saw sb writing this on reddit
"Wololol" -Age of Empires

Setolino
<Godlike>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 27, 2014 6:19am | Report
Sb = Sub?

It was a dumb post on HiRez' ban policy. There was an idiot whom I had a minor disagreement on about HiRez listening to their playerbase. He said that they took all their info in sites like TM and Reddit that was all they needed, I said that both sites suck, this one was better and had better discussions. He said Smitefire was a joke, its a dead site and all the guides there suck, etc.

It got ugly and continued from there.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 27, 2014 6:28am | Report
I GOT IT! I know what would make Smitefire more popular!

This is something that can NOT be done on Tiermonster. This is something only possible to Smitefire.

General Guides. *dramatic crescendo*

Think about it. Such guides require careful BBC coding to distribute info neatly, require authors with a good understanding of the game AND collaboration, and a section specifically devoted to general guides. -Fire sites are uniquely suited to this.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dark Jaw » January 27, 2014 6:34am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

I GOT IT! I know what would make Smitefire more popular!

This is something that can NOT be done on Tiermonster. This is something only possible to Smitefire.

General Guides. *dramatic crescendo*

Think about it. Such guides require careful BBC coding to distribute info neatly, require authors with a good understanding of the game AND collaboration, and a section specifically devoted to general guides. -Fire sites are uniquely suited to this.

We already have a few of those, while I'm making a ''procrastination'' for my Middle lane guide. As an example, TT's Arena Guide, and a bunch of others.

Dark Jaw

Prominent (44)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 27, 2014 6:51am | Report
I know we have them, we just need to have MORE of them.

And maybe present them more.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Setolino » January 27, 2014 6:56am | Report
Ye, i mean the most of them are awesome and just dont have that much views, but i dont think that would help as much as you think. With sb. i meant somebody
"Wololol" -Age of Empires

Setolino
<Godlike>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » January 27, 2014 7:00am | Report
General guides are great!

Unfortunately you can only have so many of them though, like if I would make a jungle guide now for instance it would be kind of a wast with your jungle guide Sub :P

If we could get some good general guides and remove a lot of the other guides (do what Raze said about archiving all guides). Then the once who are updated etc can be published again, from there on we could have a look at the once that are being published again and review them.

Sunfall wrote:

But as others have said before, a build means nothing if you cannot explain why it works. Only a true sheep would follow something just because someone said so.

Guides really do need to explain the choices. Why should I build a Focused Voidblade? What is reasoning behind the Witch Stone? Why are any of these items built in the sequence they are listed in? And can this build order work if you or your team isn't doing so well, or does it only work when you're ahead? If you cannot explain any of this, then it is meaningless.

Gameplay also plays a vital role when it comes to gods. Not all gods play the same, and many of them demand different approaches compared to others. I can play Nu Wa very well for example, but if I'm forced to use Zeus, I will proceed to do poorly because his playstyle is completely different from what I'm used to. The approach and mentality I use for Nu Wa would not work so well on other gods. Players like myself really want to know how I should actually be using a new god.

It's important for players to understand what they should be doing as a certain god. For those of you who were around back when I made my Arachne guide late 2012, it was among the first guides to really go into detail about stuff. It explained why I considered my item choices to be good, and it explained the general approaches that should be taken when engaging opponents in various situations. It provided so much insight that many guides at the time lacked, and it quickly became one of the top guides for a long time. It's pretty much where I got most of my reputation on this site in the first place, and it's the standard that I, HiFromBuddha, and a few others set that most of us uphold to this day.

While it is certainly true there are a lot of bad guides out there, I feel that simply complaining about SMITEFire and telling people to use other sites is not the answer. This community allows it's members to be proactive: if you truly think a guide is bad, downvote it and comment on what's wrong with it, and suggest ways to improve it. Give some kind of proof as to why it's not good. Constructive criticism and guidance is a far better solution than hasty dismissal.

EDIT: Holy Mercury this thread is moving fast!

The thing is that a lot of ppl do not need a guide to know why you would build x item etc. they just use it as a reassurance to see that what they want to build is not completely off target.

That aside when it comes to new ppl reading your guide, you need to explain everything step by step. I am clearly aware about that, as you can see from my guide :P
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » January 27, 2014 7:04am | Report
Fresh start of smitefire?

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }