Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Advice For a Noob?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Advice For a Noob? 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Eeveelution2002 » July 9, 2019 1:51am | Report
I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this, but I just recently started playing Smite again, and I never played much before, so I'm fairly clueless as to what I'm doing.

I've been playing exclusively Norse gods, out of personal preference, but I always see people talking about specific roles for builds, and I'm wondering how to pick what role and class to play, specifically or the Norse pantheon.

While that's not even close to everything I'm clueless about, it just seems like something I want to figure out early on. If anybody can help me figure it out,along with some general advice, that would be great, thanks!

Eeveelution2002

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Eeveelution2002 » July 9, 2019 2:09am | Report
If it helps somehow, the heroes I have for the pantheon are Odin, Ymir, Jormungandr, Thor, Fenrir, Fafnir, and Skadi. I only have mastery 1 in Odin and Ymir, and nothing in anybody else

Eeveelution2002

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kriega1 » July 9, 2019 4:59am | Report
https://www.smitefire.com/smite/blog/kriega1/online-text-link-for-online-linking

Kriega1

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (143)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by silentshell » July 9, 2019 5:40am | Report
I am not sure how much input I could give you, since I am not nearly as experienced as a lot of the other frequent posters/contributors here but one question I do have is which mode(s) do you play?

the preferred mode you play will directly affect how you should run your character. As an example, if you were to say you were strictly an arena player or strictly a conquest player, they are two vastly different modes and while some conquest builds can work in arena normally there are better arena specific builds that can be made with tweaking. Arena builds are pretty much not good at all for conquest usually. It will probably help with your feedback if you let everyone know what game modes you play as well.

A starting point would be to search your gods in the search bar and look through the different guides and find the ones that would both fit your game mode needs and have the most positive feedback.

silentshell

Remarkable (5)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by boogiebass » July 9, 2019 7:14am | Report
Strongly suggest you start off playing arena, as it's the easiest game mode.
https://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/the-overarching-arena-guide-s6-patch-6-7-quot-ruler-of-the-heavens-quot-11968

Learn the basics of building:
https://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/an-in-depth-discussion-on-item-choices-s6-patch-6-7-quot-ruler-of-the-heavens-quot-14522

Easy gods for each role:
Assassin: fenrir. I have a guide on fenrir, if you're interested.
https://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/lord-slashington-yharnams-finest-hunter-mostly-non-conquest-16517

Hunter: cernunos
Warrior: achilles
Mage: discordia
Guradian: ***bakarna

boogiebass
<World Serpent>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » July 9, 2019 10:41am | Report
The concept of building can be quite complex, and while you're still learning gods and the game, I'd suggest leaving auto-buy on. This isn't really optimal for builds by any means, but it allows you to get a better feel for the game itself first.

There are many, many different items. Learning the mechanics of the stats and how they're applied, which items to choose in which situation, and in which order, these all change from match to match, and god to god. You build different gods differently.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by boogiebass » July 9, 2019 10:47am | Report
Auto buy is pretty bad. The sooner he learns to build on his own, the better. I linked your items guide for a reason.

boogiebass
<World Serpent>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » July 9, 2019 11:05am | Report
That's a lot to take in though. You don't want to be trying to remember items while you're still struggling to figure out controls and what you should do in game.

Keep in mind he should be at similar level to other new players so it's not like he's at a disadvantage.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » July 10, 2019 4:55am | Report
I'm going to say that I disagree with boogie to start of in arena. Yes it's the easiest mode, however going from arena to conquest is a long long route compared to any other game mode going to conquest. You know all those kill chasing players that usually end up getting you the game lost cause pushes aren't great. Probably an arena player as the mode teaches you to value kills over everything else (apart from minions).

I would recommend joust over it if you plan on going to conquest or just starting straight in conquest. It features a bit more depth starting the pick screen for team composition (also important in arena but still in arena less important) as you only have 3 picks you do want a tank, main physical damage dealer and magical damage dealer.

So smite has pretty much 5 roles in conquest and 5 god types. these things are 2 totally different things because item builds exist.

Solo laner: in most cases a warrior, bruiser assassin, several mages with sustain (e.g. Chang'e). these guys lane 1v1 in the lane at fire giant and end up late game as a front line tank that will try to disrupt the enemy and getting damage and a kill in while being hard to kill.

Jungle: in most cases assassins (any type), warriors and mages like Ao Kuang. They provide a lot of rotations for the team by ganking lanes while they farm the jungle.

mid: mostly mages and some ability using hunters. They provide thew burst damage and in a lot of cases the wave clear for the team.

adc: hunters and basic attack mages (e.g. Sol) these characters are late game monsters providing a lot of damage at that stage however early they are fairly weak that's why they are in the duo lane (gold fury side) with a support. They provide sustained damage during teamfights late game and objective push.

support: mostly guardians and warriors altough several assassins that have nice cc and can go bruiser too. These guys are in a lot of cases the main tanks (damage supports do happen from time to time) doing little damage tryign to keep their carries alive with the help of bodyblocking and CC. Some can also initiate teamfights.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by samantha_jordan » August 7, 2019 8:13am | Report
I'm noob too so I'd better subscribe to this thread

reading: blog

samantha_jordan

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }