Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

New to guide making, need a hand with detailing, promoting etc.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Build & Guide Discussion » New to guide making, need a hand with detailing, promoting etc. 10 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by yaikai » March 1, 2015 2:48pm | Report
Here's a little story to let you know where I'm coming from.

So I've been a moba player for the past 6 years or so, going from dota1 to hon open beta, to lol, to dota2, picked up smite aloneside it, and it slowly took over, making smite my main game.

Since the community on reddit is actually rather friendly, and I met some really cool people on smite to theorycraft with, I wanted to start making guide to share the results of this theory crafting, aswell as being able to link a guide for when people ask for advice (which happens more often than I imagined it would). And just to give something back to this community as a whole.

So after asking on Reddit if it was worth making guides even though I'm not in a team or anything, the response was immensely positive, and the day after I started working on my first guide for Neith. I used the same formatting for 2 other guides, kinda planning to make it my branding if you will, but now I'm stuck, and here's where (hopefully) you guys come in:

Formatting and colouring:
I learned how to write pretty well, everyone that took the time the read my guides is happy with the amount of info, but a common 'complaint' is that it becomes a bit tedious to read all of it in the end, even though I try to format it so that it don't become walls of text. Color has been something that has been suggested several times, but I have NO idea what to highlight, how many colors to use, and I need some SERIOUS advice on this.

Promoting:
I put time into testing stuff, sometimes sacrificing games with unoptimal builds. I put time into writing these guides, trying to be as complete as possible, going out of my way by adding stuff that I feel is natural or normal or whatever, but add it anyway because just because it's normal for me doesn't mean it's normal for every player.
But I get like 1-3 comments, some decent views because I post them on reddit but without feedback either here or on reddit, the views mean nothing.
How do I promote my guides? Any tips/hints/tricks concerning this are very welcome.

I think that's about it, sorry for a lengthy post, and thanks for reading/answering.

Yours truly,
Yai-Kai

EDIT: I'm a dumbass, here are my guides: Neith, Thor and Isis
New guidemaker looking to contribute to the community!

My Guides
Neith, Isis, Thor

yaikai

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheZodiacWolf » March 1, 2015 3:51pm | Report
Hmm if I had even a slight bit more free time I could give you a ton of help.
Code:
[center]Text goes here[/Center] Puts text in the center I love this. [Spoiler]Text goes here[/Spoiler]

Will post more when I got time.
IGN: Okami Fenrir Guide

TheZodiacWolf

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » March 1, 2015 4:19pm | Report
Your guides look really informative and useful. However, they are missing a bit of that 'pizzaz' that really draws the eye. I have a good number of guides up that I've really tried to make look their best. My general resource for bbcode was this.

I also have an Eset guide up. If you want to look at how it and how to do some of the stylistic code for it, I'll leave the code in the spoiler below.

Link to my Isis guide

code for guide

As for how to promote guides, I can't really say. Some guides I've made have had almost no views or votes for months, then suddenly get 5 upvotes. Linking your guides together helps since if one becomes popular, it might trigger a chain reaction.

Good luck on your guides!
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheZodiacWolf » March 1, 2015 4:50pm | Report
Thanks Zilby. I am mobile at work, that's gonna help them for sure.
IGN: Okami Fenrir Guide

TheZodiacWolf

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » March 1, 2015 5:31pm | Report
Your formatting issue seems to be about more what to code than how to code. I made a short guide on crafting a guide that might help out. It's pretty brief though, so it might not be what you're looking for.

As for promoting your guide, you'll get more visits if you're known. Posting in the forums is probably the best way of doing this, and you can also add your guides as a link in your signature. Here a basic version you can use:
Code:
[b]My Guides[/b] [url=https://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/neith-weaver-of-season-2-under-construction-7717]Neith[/url] [url=https://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/on-wings-of-victory-onward-to-season-2-under-construction-7720]Isis[/url] [url=https://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/thor-wielder-of-season-2s-mj-lnir-7751]Thor[/url]

Should look something like this:

My Guides
Neith
Isis
Thor

You can also post a blog when you publish a guide, which might help get some views.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by yaikai » March 2, 2015 2:43am | Report
Thanks for the help!
Your code from your Isis guide was REALLY helpful Zilby, thank you so much for that!
I've also found this, which has helped me a fair bit.

I've updated my Thor guide, can I get some more feedback on the use of icons and colors in that one before I update the rest of my guides?
New guidemaker looking to contribute to the community!

My Guides
Neith, Isis, Thor

yaikai

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » March 2, 2015 2:49am | Report
The promoting thing isn't going to change that fast as you also post them on reddit (and some more sites). Because most people that visit this site are looking at a guide and using it and some others are looking more indepth to it.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » March 2, 2015 9:23pm | Report
There's a definite improvement to your guide, but I would still recommend having more spoilers and rules, ie:

Put stuff in these!

^ these are great for organization
Code:
[spoiler=Put stuff in these!] Stuff! [/spoiler] [rule]
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » March 3, 2015 2:23am | Report
I would use spoilers more for items (multiple builds e.g. not the item explanation though) and unnecessary information

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » March 10, 2015 3:02pm | Report
Hey yaikai,

Looks like you've gotten a lot of good responses and help already, but in case you want, check out my Assault guide (link in my signature). I know the content is different, but you might get some formatting ideas. I use a lot of larger icons, rather than just the standard double-brackets.

As an example of how I might format your Thor guide, see my example below for the start of your Items section. In this, I'm emphasizing sections by using bold, size/heading adjustments, underline, rule (rule in brackets creates a horizontal line), and columns.

Example

It's a lot of work, but I think it's worth it.

I've only written my one guide, so I don't have a great suggestion for how to promote your guides...I did post a few times on Reddit, as well as on the official SMITE forums...but once you start getting views, they sort of keep coming.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }