Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How to fix the guide "problem"

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Build & Guide Discussion » How to fix the guide "problem" 35 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » January 29, 2014 7:30am | Report
So we've had a discussion about guides lately and I think this could work for everyone.

The simple fact is that not everyone wants the same when they look for a guide. Some want to read a long guide that explains everything, and some just want a short guide that gives you a build and ability spec with a short and specific reasoning behind the build (and maybe some nifty tips about the abilities).

So why don't we just make a rule that you can make either a "short guide" or a "in depth guide"?
Might be possible to add two checkboxes where you either check off for "short guide" or "in depth guide" when you create the guide?

And from there we can vote based on what type of guide it is.

Just to throw out a metaphor

So for a "short guide" the credentials could be something like:
  • A sound build with core items and a few situational items.
  • Correctly spec'd abilities (so not rank 5 Spirit Arrow at lvl 5) and that it is a good spec (so not rank 5 Backflip at lvl 9).
  • A short introduction about how you play the god (like this is a guide for Neith solo lane).
  • A short explanation of why you pick the items, and in what situations you would pick them.
  • A short explanation of why you pick the abilities when you do.
  • pros and cons.
  • Some tips on using the abilities that is not just the basic (so saying that Backflip can be used to slow someone to save a teammate and stuff like that).
  • That it is short, (so it takes from 2 min to 10 min to read the guide).

And for a "in depth guide" the credentials could be something like:
  • More than one build (one for beginners, etc) and items for all thinkable situations (so builds like "solo lane Neith" "duo lane Neith" etc).
  • Same goes for abilities (so maybe a build where you skip a point at lvl 4 to get Spirit Arrow to rank 3 at lvl 5 etc).
  • Introduction that explains how you play the god with the different builds, and other ways to play the god (maybe you focus on Spirit Arrow, but you can also focus on AAs).
  • pros and cons for the different builds and playstyles.
  • Explaining everything about why and in what situations the different items should be picked.
  • Explaining everything you know
  • about the abilities even the super basics (like Spirit Arrow is good for clearing the wave etc).
  • How to use your abilities in combination with other gods (so stuff like if Sobek uses charge pray you can use Spirit Arrow to lock the target in place if he does not have a jump ready).
  • What your enemies can do to counter your abilities and how you can work around it.
  • Different gameplay scenarios (videos where you show some scenarios is great, just use the spectator and record with either commentary or just "here is a short video showing how I use Armillary Sash--> basic attack --> Wind Fire Wheels" etc).
  • A summary of the guide.
  • That it is a good read (using BB-coding, grammar, understandable language), and that it is in depth so like 10+ min.

Probably more that could be used as review points, but that is at least what I can take off the top of my head :P
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 29, 2014 7:38am | Report
Good idea. More categories = more organization = more order = more sanity = less drugs.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » January 29, 2014 7:59am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Good idea. More categories = more organization = more order = more sanity = less drugs.

You probably got some good stuff for what a in depth guide needs to have, so if you (or anyone else) got more points to add I can edit it into the thread ;)

Jungle & Support main.

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by arka222 » January 29, 2014 8:01am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

lol..agreed, +5rep for the best minion
Fun and Heart
IGN: arka222
Clan: ARKA GANG
Motto: Never let the team down..find a way to win..
My Guide on Vulcan
A god idea...

arka222

Memorable (12)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Setolino » January 29, 2014 8:04am | Report
I like this idea.
"Wololol" -Age of Empires

Setolino
<Godlike>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » January 29, 2014 8:12am | Report
arka222 wrote:

lol..agreed, +5rep for the best minion

REPHYPE! oO

Hopefully it is easy to add some checkboxes in the guide creation, if not the we just have to be strict on the guide naming :P

Jungle & Support main.

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 29, 2014 8:37am | Report
I think I'm going to update my Guideception guide to include a tip about how to name the guide, actually. Edit: done :D

And yeah, a checklist for synoptic or comprehensive guides would be wonderful!

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 29, 2014 4:12pm | Report
I don't think there should be any arbitrary rules telling someone that "you have to make your guide like this". It's their guide, let them make it the way they want. If it sucks, then they'll figure it out when they get feedback from readers. If it's good, then people like it.

And we shouldn't criticize someone over a decent guide that otherwise just isn't "in order". If the relevant information is there and people have clearly put effort and thought into it, then good for them, no reason to hit them over the head because they didn't BBCode in icons or a pretty picture for children who need illustrations to understand which god the guide is for.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » January 30, 2014 1:43am | Report
Ghraf wrote:

I don't think there should be any arbitrary rules telling someone that "you have to make your guide like this". It's their guide, let them make it the way they want. If it sucks, then they'll figure it out when they get feedback from readers. If it's good, then people like it.

And we shouldn't criticize someone over a decent guide that otherwise just isn't "in order". If the relevant information is there and people have clearly put effort and thought into it, then good for them, no reason to hit them over the head because they didn't BBCode in icons or a pretty picture for children who need illustrations to understand which god the guide is for.

But that as it is now the standard is waaay to high for ppl who just want to for example just use an hour to make a short guide. Because they are being compared with in depth guides, so why not split the two types up?

Short guides would also ofc be less focused on BB-coding, because BB-coding is basically a tool to make the guide easier to read. And a guide that takes 5 min to read does not need to hold your hand while you do it.

The response from Reddit was pretty clear on the fact that a lot of ppl just want short guides/builds, so therefore I think it could be a good idea to have both short guides and in depth guides (lets face it, sitting on the bus to school and reading a in depth guide with a ton of tips and tricks you did not know about is something only Smitefire can give you).

Jungle & Support main.

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 30, 2014 1:49am | Report

But that as it is now the standard is waaay to high for ppl who just want to for example just use an hour to make a short guide. Because they are being compared with in depth guides, so why not split the two types up?

Short guides would also ofc be less focused on BB-coding, because BB-coding is basically a tool to make the guide easier to read. And a guide that takes 5 min to read does not need to hold your hand while you do it.

The response from Reddit was pretty clear on the fact that a lot of ppl just want short guides/builds, so therefore I think it could be a good idea to have both short guides and in depth guides (lets face it, sitting on the bus to school and reading a in depth guide with a ton of tips and tricks you did not know about is something only Smitefire can give you).

Not really sure what your point is.

I just said that we shouldn't try to tell other people what to do with their own guides. Some people making guides may not even post a single time or look at the forums. Which is perfectly fine, it's their choice to do that.

If someone wants to make a guide that's only a build and skills, then fine, let them. And as a member of Smitefire, you have every right to go and find their guide and downvote it if you don't like the way it's done.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }