Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How to fix the guide "problem"

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Build & Guide Discussion » How to fix the guide "problem" 35 posts - page 2 of 4
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » January 30, 2014 2:03am | Report
Ghraf wrote:

Not really sure what your point is.

I just said that we shouldn't try to tell other people what to do with their own guides. Some people making guides may not even post a single time or look at the forums. Which is perfectly fine, it's their choice to do that.

If someone wants to make a guide that's only a build and skills, then fine, let them. And as a member of Smitefire, you have every right to go and find their guide and downvote it if you don't like the way it's done.

My point is that we add a checkbox where you make a guide, that lets you either chose "short guide" or "in depth guide". That way we on Smitefire can vote accordingly and it is fair for ppl who just wants to make a short guide. Instead of like it is now where all guides are compared to guides like TT's Hel guide and stuff :P
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 30, 2014 8:33am | Report
Ghraf wrote:

I don't think there should be any arbitrary rules telling someone that "you have to make your guide like this". It's their guide, let them make it the way they want. If it sucks, then they'll figure it out when they get feedback from readers. If it's good, then people like it.

And we shouldn't criticize someone over a decent guide that otherwise just isn't "in order". If the relevant information is there and people have clearly put effort and thought into it, then good for them, no reason to hit them over the head because they didn't BBCode in icons or a pretty picture for children who need illustrations to understand which god the guide is for.

The point of this thread was not to list rules of what people must have in their guides, BMV was just trying to establish guidelines for different depth-levels. When I made my first guide, I really didn't know what chapters I should have and having a list of what people want would have been great. It wasn't until after months of reading people's opinions that I was able to determine what people wanted to know. I removed as many chapters as I have added to my Hel guide, because myself and others deemed them unnecessary.

But I digress, the main reason BMV brought up this thread seems to be to implement a system here that lets you check a box before publishing the guide to label it (yourself) as synoptic or comprehensive. That way, good guides that explain the important information that readers need to know are not compared to guides that explain, well, everything the readers could possible want to know.

Also, it is asinine to say that a guide should not be in order. It is undeniable that the human mind processes information better in chronological/sequential, thematic, climactic, etc. orders than random "order." A guide does not need to use BBCode or have any form of illustrations, but I wholeheartedly disagree that it does not need to be formatted and organized well.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 30, 2014 8:50am | Report
You know much about lamguage. You must have majored in Western Hypocrisy.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 30, 2014 9:03am | Report
Do I seem to play dumb often? o.O

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 30, 2014 9:49am | Report

Do I seem to play dumb often? o.O

Not exactly play dumb, but you don't really show your verbose and/or analytic side that often.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 30, 2014 9:53am | Report

Also, it is asinine to say that a guide should not be in order. It is undeniable that the human mind processes information better in chronological/sequential, thematic, climactic, etc. orders than random "order." A guide does not need to use BBCode or have any form of illustrations, but I wholeheartedly disagree that it does not need to be formatted and organized well.

There's a very vital bit of punctuation you missed: "in order"

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 30, 2014 9:54am | Report
@Sub
All part of my master plan.

In all seriousness, I don't argue often and I'm not very articulate when it comes to verbal discussions, so I guess I kind of just "chill." :P

@Ghraf

Ghraf wrote:
There's a very vital bit of punctuation you missed: "in order"
I don't see how. Order falls under the category of organization, and it's actually what I was specifically referring to.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 30, 2014 10:01am | Report

@Sub
All part of my master plan.

In all seriousness, I don't argue often and I'm not very articulate when it comes to verbal discussions, so I guess I kind of just "chill." :P

@Ghraf

I don't see how. Order falls under the category of organization, and it's actually what I was specifically referring to.

Ghraf wrote:
And we shouldn't criticize someone over a decent guide that otherwise just isn't "in order".

"in order".

Apparently you can't bold or increase font size on quotation marks.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 30, 2014 10:08am | Report
Ghraf wrote:

"in order".

Apparently you can't bold or increase font size on quotation marks.

Also, it is asinine to say that a guide should not be in order. It is undeniable that the human mind processes information better in chronological/sequential, thematic, climactic, etc. orders than random "order." A guide does not need to use BBCode or have any form of illustrations, but I wholeheartedly disagree that it does not need to be formatted and organized well

"in order".

The only other meaning I can think of for "not being in order" would be "not entirely there; somewhat askew," and the statements surrounding it don't seem to hint at it.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » January 30, 2014 10:27am | Report
I have no idea what is going on now xD

My idea was that we could have at least to types of guides.
One type that is supposed to be short with a build and some reasoning behind the build, some tips that's not common knowledge about the abilities and that is basically it.
The other type is supposed to be in depth with just about everything you can think about.

The reason being that a lot of ppl are not looking for a long guide when they want a guide.
For example if I just wanted to play Hel for a game, the amount of information in TT's guide would just be to much for me to bother with it. But if I really wanted to learn how to play Hel it is the first place I would go to.

And I think that is why a lot of ppl like short and direct guides, ofc you can say "scroll down to what you are looking for" etc etc. But come on, who wants to do that if they could just use another guide that is tailored to that purpose?
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }