Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How to fix the guide "problem"

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Build & Guide Discussion » How to fix the guide "problem" 35 posts - page 3 of 4
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 30, 2014 10:34am | Report
I have no idea what is going on now xD

I think we might have derailed the thread into an argument of semantics, I don't really know. You're right, though, we should bring it back on track.

So, I totally agree with you, and think there should be a checklist (that can be changed every time you edit the guide) somewhere near the publish button. It would read:

Synoptic - this guide gives an overview of how to build the god, how to use the god's skills, and general information dealing with how to play him/her.

Comprehensive - this guide not only explains how to build and use the god, but delves into minor details and nuances such as countering specific matchups.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » January 30, 2014 11:21am | Report

I think we might have derailed the thread into an argument of semantics, I don't really know. You're right, though, we should bring it back on track.

So, I totally agree with you, and think there should be a checklist (that can be changed every time you edit the guide) somewhere near the publish button. It would read:

Synoptic - this guide gives an overview of how to build the god, how to use the god's skills, and general information dealing with how to play him/her.

Comprehensive - this guide not only explains how to build and use the god, but delves into minor details and nuances such as countering specific matchups.

Ahh! good good :D

PS: dayum, you got some big boy words in your vocabulary son!
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 30, 2014 2:28pm | Report
..sigh.

The words "in order" are in quotations, because, "in order" is a term referring to being in a certain state of things or a generally accepted state, i.e., "clean, tidy, neat, orderly, straight, trim, ship-shape, in the correct condition for operation or use".

However, someone's guide may be sloppy, no BBCode, typos, ugly color font, no color font, no chapter splitting, etc, however if all of the information is that it may still be useful, but would not be considered "in order".

Semantics. They exist. And your vernacular just increased by exactly one expression, you're welcome.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 30, 2014 2:47pm | Report
Ghraf wrote:

As you could see by reading one of my previous posts, I had already suggested the possibility of you stating "in order" to signify just that. The most common definition of things being "in order," though, is when they're arranged in a logical way based on their qualities so as to be easily comprehensible. And this misunderstanding actually helps prove my point; the writer needs to ensure clarity. If not, misunderstandings and misinterpretations will result. It is not okay if good information is there if it takes extensive effort just to understand it. Organization is a big part of that, along with other forms of formatting such as paragraphs to eliminate walls of text.

But, again, I digress. The point of this thread is to discuss the idea of implementing a checklist to the guidecrafting toolset that lets you categorize your guide based on the how comprehensive it is. That way, great guides for getting you on your feet aren't compared to in-depth guides that analyze every possible detail for mastering specific gods. I really don't see the problem with this.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 30, 2014 3:02pm | Report

As you could see by reading one of my previous posts, I had already suggested the possibility of you stating "in order" to signify just that. The most common definition of things being "in order," though, is when they're arranged in a logical way based on their qualities so as to be easily comprehensible. And this misunderstanding actually helps prove my point; the writer needs to ensure clarity. If not, misunderstandings and misinterpretations will result. It is not okay if good information is there if it takes extensive effort just to understand it. Organization is a big part of that, along with other forms of formatting such as paragraphs to eliminate walls of text.

But, again, I digress. The point of this thread is to discuss the idea of implementing a checklist to the guidecrafting toolset that lets you categorize your guide based on the how comprehensive it is. That way, great guides for getting you on your feet aren't compared to in-depth guides that analyze every possible detail for mastering specific gods. I really don't see the problem with this.

You are aware when someone puts quotations around a word or phrase, they're signalling for them to be interpreted in connotation, rather than in literal means, correct?

Smitefire literary hour here. If you notice, I'm not debating the topic anymore, but simply trying to get you to understand what this particular phrase means and how you should have interpreted it.

I think other people got it.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 30, 2014 3:21pm | Report
Ghraf wrote:
You are aware when someone puts quotations around a word or phrase, they're signalling for them to be interpreted in connotation, rather than in literal means, correct?

Smitefire literary hour here. If you notice, I'm not debating the topic anymore, but simply trying to get you to understand what this particular phrase means and how you should have interpreted it.

I think other people got it.

Quotation marks used, as in this case, to specify the specific part of a sentence such as, in this case, "vital bits of missing punctuation" which have been overlooked do not signal for connotative interpretations, but rather for them to simply be readdressed. And you are aware that words and things have many, many, connotative meanings, correct? Simply quoting the same two words over and over, especially after stating that they were "missed" when being read, is irrational and stupid. How do you expect someone to understand which definition, connotative at that, you are referring to when you repeatedly give no context? And the best part is that whichever meaning you intended is entirely irrelevant to the fact that a guide that has poor presentation is not a good guide. Whether something is out of order thematically or out of order in more of a visual sense does not change the fact that it hinders the readability of a guide. If you read my guide to guidecrafting, you'll know my opinion on that.

Regarding your second sentence, I would suggest actually explaining yourself rather than reiterating two words that could have multiple meanings if you want someone to understand whether you're using common meanings of words or some obscure expression.

And, yes, you haven't been debating the topic, we've been arguing semantics. Again, do you disagree that a checkbox to categorize your guide for more accurate search and rating systems is a good idea? If so, why?

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » January 30, 2014 3:32pm | Report
Jesus bloody christ guys. Arguing over quotation marks. And we wonder why reddit doesn't like us?

On topic, I love the idea for certain types of guides.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » January 30, 2014 3:33pm | Report
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 30, 2014 3:37pm | Report
Reddit doesn't like us because we're beautiful, silly. They're just jelly.

@Raventhor: hawt. Ghraf, kiss me pls

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » January 30, 2014 3:38pm | Report
Not you. BestMinion and Ghraf.

You can film though.

(I knew I'd be able to use that RoosterTeeth video someday. Someone used it like a week ago though, who was that...)
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }