Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Fate of Divine Ruin and Brawler's Beat Stick

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » The Fate of Divine Ruin and Brawler's Beat Stick 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » September 29, 2013 3:16am | Report
Since the begining, SMITE has had two items dedicated to combating healers, lifestealers and regenerating tanks. They were Brawler's Beat Stick for the physical gods and Divine Ruin for the magical ones. Sadly, these two items were rarely used due to a poor mix of stats for their cost, with every stat they offer being better on other items. Lifesteal? Soul Eater or Devourer's Gloves were better. Crit? Take a Rage and a Deathbringer instead. Bancroft's Talon was pretty much better than Divine Ruin in every way outside of the mana and passive, and very few mages could really stack the healing debuffs to make it work.

Fast-forward to today, and a new active has recently been added: Weakening Curse. Okay, not so much "new", as it is a Tier 3 buff to an existing item, the Creeping Curse that used to just slow enemies down. Not only does it just slow them, it completely, 100% negates healing for the duration of the curse. To top it all off, it costs a mere 900 gold, with the lower tiers of the active still being useful to hinder escape attempts.

The only drawback? It uses one of the two ability slots on your god. If you're a tank or some other god who doesn't need actives to survive however, then you shouldn't have any qualms about devoting an ability slot to Weakening Curse when necessary. After all, what better way to further support your team as a tank than by completely negating the opponent's ability to recover health via regeneration, lifesteal, and direct healing? Oh, and don't forget the slowing too!

Put simply, Weakening Curse completely invalidates any need to get Divine Ruin or Brawler's Beat Stick due to how it does the one thing those items were designed for better.

Now this makes me curious: What will HiRez do with these two items now that they've been rendered obsolete?

One possibility could be to simply remove these items from the game. After all, why leave garbage items in the game that no sane player would build and only trolls would ever take? Alternatively, I would much prefer HiRez to take the effort to rework these items to make them viable. Perhaps by changing or increasing the stats they give. Maybe the Brawler's Beat Stick should give twice as much crit chance? Perhaps Divine Ruin should provide more magical power and lifesteal? Maybe the passives could even be reworked so it can completely null healing just like the new Weakening Curse when fully stacked? The last possibility I could think of is just nerfing the curse, but I'd rather not see this happen when it's the only thing keeping healers from being broken in Assault.

I'm interesting in seeing what everyone else thinks of this situation.
Waiting on a good new MOBA, please.

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » September 29, 2013 3:25am | Report
make the passive effect last longer, make it a bigger debuff and give both a bit more power. make divine ruin 60 magical power so that it over takes some other magical items and give it 200 mana.

give brawelers 20 pysical power.
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » September 29, 2013 6:12am | Report
I'd rather see them revert the Creeping Curse change ^_^

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Nogglez » September 29, 2013 8:14am | Report
Just read the descriptions, and they dont stack? When was that changed? If I remember correctly, that was one of the redeeming factors of the items, since you could stack them hard on a god like Ra. Personally I would like the see them be reworked as well, if Brawlers had more lifesteal and crit chance, and as stated above the duration of passives was increased, it might be seen in matches more often.

(Nice to see you still on here Sunfall)
Rep me up if I helped!

Nogglez

Established (19)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » September 29, 2013 11:28am | Report

I'd rather see them revert the Creeping Curse change ^_^

^ says the person who has three guides on healing support gods. XD

Out of curiousity, do Purification Beads or Cleanse remove the healing debuff of Weakening Curse?

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » September 29, 2013 11:36am | Report
Sunfall wrote:
^ says the person who has three guides on healing support gods. XD
Exactly! :P

From what I remember testing a month or two ago, cleanse does not remove the healing debuff, but simply hinders the slow. That is to say, if I cast a rank five cleanse on myself after being affected by Creeping Curse, I should be able to move at normal speeds for 1.3 seconds. However, I believe the healing buff remains.

However, I'm pretty sure that if Creeping Curse is applied to any targets that are under the effects of cleanse, it will not affect them at all.

As for Beads, I have no clue, but Heavenly Agility is definitely a better counter to Creeping Curse.

I'll have to verify what I've said by testing it in-game, because I'm not positive on anything >.>
I'll post back here once I do (hopefully today).

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » September 29, 2013 4:10pm | Report
Props to Leblinski for going into 1v1 with me to test this out.

In regards to Creeping Curse:

Cleanse, when used preemptively does not apply its slow but it will still nullify heals.

Cleanse, when applied after-the-fact only hinders the slow for the duration of cleanse, and it will still nullify heals even during the duration of cleanse.

With beads, the exact same thing applies.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » September 30, 2013 4:39am | Report
Buffing Divine and Brawler's would be stupid, because then you would just pick it up normally (which you shouldn't because it is situational items made to counter healers).

Picking up items like Divine and Brawler's should make you sacrifice damage IMO. Think about how rubbish other lifesteal items would become if Divine and Brawler's was picked up in every match..

Brawler's have been useless for a long time (the only times I've seen it be picked up the last 6 months or so is on Assault), but I still think Divine is decent (not on you magic carry ofc, but on your tank/solo lane)

And yes the 100% debuff on Weakening Curse is a bit much, but it makes you sacrefice an active so IDK. :P
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by LevasK » September 30, 2013 5:33am | Report
Well tbh it's not like anyone was consistently picking up these items (noobs aside) before the Creeping Curse buffs aside from that time period where Vamana was completely OP in his ult other then that these items have been trash for as long as I can remember ,so the Creeping Curse buffs are not the problem.I think that they should either buff/change the stats that Brawler's Beatstick and Divine Ruin gives or change there passives make the do something else,because even if they made Creeping Curse reduce the healing by 20% you would still be better off picking it up over either of those items.

P.s.A price reduction might make them a bit more viable options ,but I doubt it unless you are facing a team that's stacking healing.

LevasK
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (52)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » September 30, 2013 5:43am | Report
Just because an item is situational doesn't mean it should be stupidly weak.

Lets take a look at Hide of the Nemean Lion. It should be situational for just physical-heavy teams, yet even if you discount the passive, 80 physical protection is the highest of any item barring Sovereignty with it's passive. It also gives a decent 200 health. Hide alone on most bruisers and tanks gives them adequate coverage against whatever physical threat exists on the opposing team, even if it's just one or two gods. By a similar token, Sovereignty is just as good, if not moreso because of the higher health it provides you for non-physical threats.

Now obviously you don't build it when there's only magical damage on the enemy team--hell, ANY physical protection is dumb when there are five magic gods after you. But if there's even one physical god present, items that give protection+health are nearly always worth it.

So why are the items designed to counter healing stupidly useless compared to every other offensive item in the game?

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }