Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

What a God Reveal Should Be

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » What a God Reveal Should Be 32 posts - page 2 of 4

Poll Question:

Buggrit
Millenium Hand
Shrimp
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » October 23, 2014 10:04am | Report
nah i would call it imritefire because no one can accept being wrong, nobody reads each others arguments and everybody constantly has a hot pepper up their anus.

either way if hirez cares about what they are doing with their game lore would be a really easy way to show it.

the lore for smite doesn't have to be as deep as league or dawngate's and smite should actually have AN EASIER TIME writting lore for simple things like WHY are all these gods at war and what is each personal goal in the war.

this can be very easy to write. odin, zeus, ra and vamana/rama are there to represent their pantheons.

heck writting some simple lore as of why they are there can even lead to opening kit disigns

the only some what modernly weaponised god in smite is vulcan, if you would write his reason being to prove his smiting far out scales anyone then you can have a god that gets his weapons from vulcan, that can lead to cool interactions with gods from other pantheons and vulcan or can lead to some skins that aren't only 60's-2000's reference's because those skins are then 60's-2000's reference's that FIT into the LORE.

lore for a moba doesnt neccesarly have to be deep and it opens up doors for kit disign's as long as you respect your own lore and your source material (which they haven't done...)(krakens are NORSE! NOT GREEK! POSEIDONS ULT IS NOTHING BUT A LAME REFERENCE AGAIN!) rants aside.

this can be a weeks work of effort and allows hirez so many things that i am honestly clueless why they haven't done it.
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » October 23, 2014 10:10am | Report
RazeMage wrote:

Honestly, LoL pretty much have the same with that dawngate

the reason for that is that the creators of dawngate are actually very familiar with moba games.
league one of their favorites and i think they went with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.
^^ DOES NOT MEAN RIP OFF!

movement feels similar to league but people walk a lot smooter as they can actually make full 360 degree turns with their entire body, the view is zoomed out more compared to league which help out a lot, items function differnent and character fill different roles compared to league.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » October 23, 2014 10:13am | Report
Raventhor wrote:

Lore...eh. They go over a general sense of who the god is, what problems the god has that would inspire either interdiety (that's now a word btw) issues or personal/moral issues, thus leading into why they'd join Smite's fight, even if it's a loose description.

i think the better discription of what they do is: wikipedia artical and suprise! now they are here.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GeouZu » October 23, 2014 11:41am | Report
When I watch the reveal I just skip everything, watch the skills, close the video. If I am interested in god, I read his lore in-game/wikipedia and other websites.
They explain the skills, yeah but some gameplay would be good too. And i don't mean "gameplay" that we have now. It is just set-up situations to make that new god get some kills.

Concerning the items.. They shouldn't to items section in reveals yet.. because it will sound like this - Heya guys, meet Rama. He is adc, meaning you should build the exact same items that you build on the damn ALL other hunters. There are literally no items that will tweak any of the gods abilities (like in the video above, getting Dominance, that is triggered by Ronans dash)

I love Smite.But lets agree -- Smite has few items.. There are some very strong items, that are must have, and many sh*tty items that you never buy.Like do you ever buy Soul Eater? or Pythagorem's Piece ? I think you dont. Why? Because they are bad (actually they are mostly trash). Why? Because there are better items. Why will I get Soul Eater as an ADC, when i can get devo gloves, Bloodforge or even Asi?

I love Smite, that why i'm on this forum,but lets face it:
1) Hi-Rez needs a good group of guys who know how to balance the game (and it will be hell of a work). Because some gods are OP, some gods are like average( I mean it can be played in casual or ranked, but not in tournament because you want op gods there) and gods that are rarely played in casuals. Like for example Sun Wukong. After the nerf I have seen him only a few times in conq. Warrior nerf... SWK is in no place while some other warriors are still strong like chaac and herc.

2) They need more original items. And it is perfect time to do them because there are no tournaments and qualifiers now.

Just my few cents.

P.S
I hope we can discuss this topic without insults please ^_^

P.P.S
Why Dawngate isn't 3rd person :((

GeouZu

Memorable (12)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » October 23, 2014 1:16pm | Report
Like GeouZu said, please don't insult each other (not that I'm a mod but it kinda ruins my evening :( )

Anyway, I think Smite has a harder time dealing with the lore. Dawngate, LoL, and Dota(2) all can just make it up (correct me if I'm wrong), while the gods in Smite have a fixed lore. And a lot of the time there are multiple versions of said lore.

Also, I think a reveal is a reveal. Show lore, abilities and show what the god can do. Maybe some beginner tips but that's not really necessary. A reveal shouldn't be a guide, that's what the recommended item section is for.

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » October 23, 2014 1:29pm | Report
i disagree with it being harder for them to deal with lore as they have a good standing ground of existing lore of which they can choose multiple versions. if they just respect the existing and build off of that they can have very easy but very cool lore.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » October 23, 2014 2:56pm | Report
GeouZu wrote:
When I watch the reveal I just skip everything, watch the skills, close the video. If I am interested in god, I read his lore in-game/wikipedia and other websites.

This exactly. Given I have a decent knowledge on various mythologies, I may already know the lore behind the god/goddess before they reveal them. For example, I've known who Nox/Nyx is for a long time now, so when they announced she would be the newest goddess, I already knew the lore behind her. And if I didn't, I would have looked them up and read about them way before they actually released the reveal video for them.

Pentargonite wrote:
Anyway, I think Smite has a harder time dealing with the lore. Dawngate, LoL, and Dota(2) all can just make it up (correct me if I'm wrong), while the gods in Smite have a fixed lore.

Agreed with this as well. I personally find it a lot easier making up something of my own completely and working with it to fit whatever concept it needs to fit than having to work with a pre-existing figure and trying to make it fit with the concept. There's much more freedom to do whatever you want when you have complete creative control over everything.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 23, 2014 4:12pm | Report
HolyPudding wrote:

I have no idea what this forum has come to. Someone change the name of the site to "Oestrogenfire"

Jump off a cliff, please.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 23, 2014 4:25pm | Report
Pentargonite wrote:

Anyway, I think Smite has a harder time dealing with the lore. Dawngate, LoL, and Dota(2) all can just make it up (correct me if I'm wrong), while the gods in Smite have a fixed lore. And a lot of the time there are multiple versions of said lore.
I agree in part, but at the same time, it's a lot easier for them to make lore, since they can literally google it instead of creating anything.

It's also not THAT hard. I mean, Smite has shown that they CAN do it. I mean, in mythology, Thanatos was pretty much little more than talking death. He had little personality and pretty much did whatever Hades told him. Oh, and he got stomped on my Hercules once. While the Thanatos in lore actually has a personality and motivation to be here; an opportunity to kill a bunch of gods, who he despises since he's freaking Death, with a capital this time.

They've shown that their lore isn't hard fixed - they made Zeus a good guy, for ****'s sake. They're willing to take liberties as long as it looks cool, like the Kraken vs Poseidon thing. But apparently, they just can't take any effort in making LORE be cool.

Pentargonite wrote:
Also, I think a reveal is a reveal. Show lore, abilities and show what the god can do. Maybe some beginner tips but that's not really necessary. A reveal shouldn't be a guide, that's what the recommended item section is for.
Precisely: Show what a god can do.

They...kinda don't. It's like trying to see what Call of Duty is like by watching a quickscoping montage; yeah, quickscoping is a thing, but that's not all it is.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » October 24, 2014 12:03am | Report
Can I just say. Is it me or some of the lore that they're representing their God doesn't fit the kit they have...?

Because I like it if the lore means something to how they are actually played.
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }