Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How do unbalanced teams fair?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » How do unbalanced teams fair? 9 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by KingLion » November 24, 2014 8:36am | Report
Hello people, let me explain what I mean.

I had a debate recently and new Ao Kuang is somehow involved. So this is the thing, with Ao Kuang been mostly suited for the jungle, a normal team would probably end up with 4 magical gods and a hunter been the only physical one on the crew.

My take on this, is that having 4 gods on either form of damage on a team is not very smart because the enemy can counter you with that kind of protection and hurt your efectiveness. I do understand that penetration is very powerfull, but at some point of the match the enemy WILL have more protections than you can penetrate(probably mid, early) and will have a big advantage.

Now, the person I was debating this with said that penetration is just too strong and it doesnt matter at all if you build strait magic protections as soon as you can, if build correctly the pen will make the protections useless. He mentioned that Shoes of the Magi alone will make your protections useless early.

So.. what do you think about this topic?

KingLion

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » November 24, 2014 10:31am | Report
It does hurt your effectiveness. especially against the warrior (if in team) and the guardian (for the warrior a 4 physical team is even more painful because Mystical Mail)

This guy is saying that shoes destroy protections early but against a Hide of the Urchin or the normal protection items (including Ancile) it does nothing.

shoes is enough to remove 50% of the base protections (which is 30) you got (at lvl 1) and I don't know how many pen your going but normally you only take 1 other pen item. This item is mostly Obsidian Shard this only removes 33% of the protections. So at the end you will have a reduction of (-33% + -15 or -15 + -33%. Depends if flat pen goes before % pen But I think the second one to be more realistic).

this is enough to take away most protections against a adc and a mage (unless the mage decided to take magic protection instead of valor (but mostly they will end up taking Chronos' Pendant for the CDR giving them more damage) and some jungles.

less effective against people with 1 MP item.

And against warriors and guardians who will at least have 2 magic protection items (guardian will opt for 3-4).

a guardian will become something like this; [Item=Reinforced greaves M], Sovereignty, Stone of Gaia, Hide of the Urchin, Bulwark of Hope, and then as last they won't go another physical item but magical Void Stone or Pestilence

so let's count all MP 25+20+70+65+60+50/65=290/305 total for them with their items. add this to their base protection at lvl 20 being 58 ends up in 348/363 MP

then we get the reductions of the team 15(shoes) (15 if void stone is in range) 33%. well let's take that off our MP=212/222. (you can almost ignore the pen from the void stone and shoes.)

so from an ult from Ra (without the scalings for the ease) the base damage is already reduced to 488/478.

also if a ult and abilities miss/CC/etc. the opposing team can totally wreck their burst mages. The only big threat is the adc because the protections aren't focused on him. but normally a combo from a jungler or mage can be his death.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » November 24, 2014 10:51am | Report
Well to be fair, a normal team has a physical solo, so with AK jungle you'd usually end up with 3 magical, 2 physical. If you take a magical solo you're kinda hurting yourself.

And on the penetration vs protection topic, Devampi went into the math very well, my statement is you'll always do better with protectoins than they will with penetration. The reason is the items you're building protections on will also have health. This means even if they're getting past your protections, they're so heavily gimping their actual power/damage output, in addition to ruining their utility by not being able to buy MP items with effects, that they're more useless as a whole. Sure they may bypass the protections, but then what? Do very little damage compared to your total health and have no utility with their spells?
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » November 24, 2014 11:08am | Report
Devampi and Raven are spot on.

As Raven stated, if your jungle is magic, then whoever is in solo should be looking at picking up a physical god/goddess, or you're really setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

Granted, I never play CQ, but in any other game mode, if I'm playing a Guardian or Warrior, I love seeing a team that has at least four magicals or four physicals (preferably magicals) because it's so easy to build against that team. Like both Devampi and Raven stated, your penetration will not be as good as my protections. Sure, you'll do some damage, especially if you decide to gang up on me, but I'll be soaking up plenty of that damage to increase my survivability and allow me to stay in the fight a lot longer to support my team.

It's just not worth it.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » November 24, 2014 11:23am | Report
I would like more physical because Mystical Mail XD

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » November 24, 2014 11:52am | Report
Yes it would be a bit easier to counter the enemy team. However most high level teams that go magical jungle fit a physical god in either solo or support.

Keep in mind having a 4 magical team is much better than having a 4 physical team since objectives deal physical damage.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 24, 2014 12:14pm | Report
It's true, pen boots giving both pen and power are the main reason why counterbuilding is so hard in this game.

At any rate, both mostly mages and mostly physical gods aren't too bad off. The Executioner and Spear of the Magus exist.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » November 24, 2014 12:19pm | Report
(Also the topic name was really confusing because of a homophone. It'd be "How do unbalanced teams fare?")
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by KingLion » November 24, 2014 6:49pm | Report
Raventhor wrote:

(Also the topic name was really confusing because of a homophone. It'd be "How do unbalanced teams fare?")

Whoops.. sorry for that English is not my native language, can someone fix it please? I don't know how.

Devampi wrote:
It does hurt your effectiveness. especially against the warrior (if in team) and the guardian (for the warrior a 4 physical team is even more painful because Mystical Mail)
(...)

Yeah that's what I thought, the magical protections are too strong to be penetrated at some point in the game. Besides, having both passives from Stone of Gaia and Bulwark of Hope would be too sturdy for a 4-magical-god-team to deal with in a late game teamfight imo. The hunter is gonna get wrecked as soon as the tf starts because he is main priority.

Raventhor wrote:
Well to be fair, a normal team has a physical solo, so with AK jungle you'd usually end up with 3 magical, 2 physical. If you take a magical solo you're kinda hurting yourself.

And on the penetration vs protection topic, Devampi went into the math very well, my statement is you'll always do better with protectoins than they will with penetration. The reason is the items you're building protections on will also have health. This means even if they're getting past your protections, they're so heavily gimping their actual power/damage output, in addition to ruining their utility by not being able to buy MP items with effects, that they're more useless as a whole. Sure they may bypass the protections, but then what? Do very little damage compared to your total health and have no utility with their spells?

I didn't even think about the item effects, you are absolutely right. Its literally opting into a handicap.

SoapSuds wrote:
As Raven stated, if your jungle is magic, then whoever is in solo should be looking at picking up a physical god/goddess, or you're really setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

Thanks! I'm not insane! lol

Greenevers wrote:

Yes it would be a bit easier to counter the enemy team. However most high level teams that go magical jungle fit a physical god in either solo or support.

Keep in mind having a 4 magical team is much better than having a 4 physical team since objectives deal physical damage.

Magical gods are way more versatile imo. But yes you should always fit atleast two physical or magical imo.

Subzero008 wrote:
It's true, pen boots giving both pen and power are the main reason why counterbuilding is so hard in this game.

At any rate, both mostly mages and mostly physical gods aren't too bad off. The Executioner and Spear of the Magus exist.

Yeah, Shoes of the Magi are strong, but still I think like the others said that protections are always going to be stronger than pen. Like Raventhor said you would have to pass through both health and protections. Not a good idea imo.

KingLion

Notable (2)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }