Help Support Our Growing Community

SmiteFire is a community that lives to help every Smite player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support SmiteFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account






Or

This build has been archived and is for historical display only

This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results. We recommend you check out our other Ares Builds

x

Vote received! Would you like to let the author know their guide helped you and leave them a message?

Banner for Ares guides

Removed for Personal Reasons

1 12 1,397
2.6
by cLaw_eagLe updated February 26, 2021

Smite God: Ares

Build Guide Discussion 74 More Guides
Tap Mouse over an item or ability icon for detailed info

Ares Build

Leave a Comment

You need to log in before commenting.

Collapse All Comments

1
Change_main (2) | February 24, 2021 12:30am
everyone's playstyle is different we all prefer to play different gods differently its one thing if he went all damage support but he has legit items in it might work for him and he just wanted to share his ideas so what you play and build might be different but it doesn't mean it deserves hard criticism some of us like to rush dmg some like to rush cdr etc. different doesn't always mean bad if we all went pro builds all the time how would we find what works for us the playstyle we like why should someone else tell us how to play as long as your doing your assigned role correctly its not an issue. smite fire is meant to share our own ideas not to be the next pro or to get ****ed on by other people who think they know how to be better than everyone else we are supposed to support each other's new ideas not to stay conservative and play builds only pros come up with what fun is that and some people only play smite for the fun part, not the compeditive part. do I fully agree with the build no but is it my job to tell him any different no. I mean how would we have discovered things like chang'e solo or Athena Jung if we stayed closed minded about how other people play sorry, I just couldn't stand people disliking a build and giving kinda harsh criticism because it's not what they prefer. (and I'm not like trying to cause issues some people have been nice and just offering what they might suggest but there is a difference between helpful and nice criticism and the opposite.
1
Devampi (104) | February 26, 2021 9:57am
Change_main wrote:
smite fire is meant to share our own ideas not to be the next pro or to get ****ed on by other people who think they know how to be better than everyone else we are supposed to support each other's new ideas not to stay conservative and play builds only pros come up with what fun is that and some people only play smite for the fun part, not the compeditive part. do I fully agree with the build no but is it my job to tell him any different no.


So I feel you have a small misconception about what the site fully is. In your quote, you start off right it is to share your ideas and that it does not have to be the next pro thing. However, it is also still the internet so everyone is entitled to their opinions. The other thing we long-term users pride the site on is its teaching aspect as most visitors will be looking for guidance. and this guidance comes in multiple things from general moba questions to item builds and god guides.

Essentially smitefire is a tool for certain things, but if you do not know how to handle the tool for the specific task. for the task of guidance it can easily become a hard tool to use.
The hardest thing for new players is knowing which guides/builds are helpful or harmful. Unless the title specifies something, they won't know it. That is why the voting system and comments exist.

for your last lines I do want to point out the following
Branmuffin17 wrote:

I've taken off the guide request for comments/feedback.

As this quote shows this author had the asking for feedback checked on before. Therefore, people do make it known if they agree with any part of the guide including, but not limited to the build. (since this is mostly a build not much more to provide feedback on)

Also sadly one thing that will stay subjective is the way people receive criticism/feedback or provide it. I have been around long enough to see some people write solid helpful feedback about thing X or Y and then a creator reacting like he got harsh criticism reacting with personal attacks back, while the original feedback would be considered the nice not to direct way of telling someone. Not saying there isn't plenty unhelpful 'this build is bad' comments out there.
1
Change_main (2) | February 26, 2021 9:41pm
yes i totaly agree i didint mean to step out like that i guess i came off wrong im new and also dont know how things work around here yet im soo sorry for what i said i should've put more thought into what i was saying.
Load more comments (1 more replies) →
1
Big damage (23) | February 25, 2021 11:20pm
Having different ideas and off meta builds are fine, but they should be labelled as such. Smitefire has an awful reputation because of the builds that are publicised to teach newer players. Our criticism wasn't "harsh" it was honest and it makes sense. If this had the title "No Escape! - Ares off-meta [S8 Support]" it would have near to none of the dislikes, but showing this build as something for newer players to learn from to put it bluntly is just wrong.

If none of us told others how to improve half of us would still be in Silver. I am very open minded towards different ways of building off-meta but you can't let someone teach people incorrect information and then come along and say "it's fine!" the way that you are. If people disagreed on this point there would be a lot more upvotes than downvotes.
1
Change_main (2) | February 26, 2021 9:38pm
sorry i didint mean to imply that you guys yourself were giving harsh coments its just ive seen alot resently and i guess i kinda snaped a little i didint mean to target anyone and i have no right to say much sence im new to the comunity.
1
cLaw_eagLe (2) | February 26, 2021 1:31am
Since when was Smitefire a MetaBuilds only site? Actually I see smitefire as a resource site for the most different and creative builds there. And you see, I don't know whether it was you, but since I told you I think in the comment that your argument was invalid, this whole thing came to be with downvotes and negative comments. It is your opinion, whether or not this is wrong. Did you try the build yourself at least? I'm open minded he says, again did you try the build?, It is your opinion, when I would lable this is a meta build I would be teaching incorrect info. I Described what my idea is behind everything, so the info/the idea is clear and correct, whether you like it or not that way, this is another thing. 'I'm very open minded' - all in all, your comment is invalid again (if you were the same person). You contradict yourself, if your open you would respect the concept.
Load more comments (3 more replies) →
1
cLaw_eagLe (2) | February 24, 2021 12:48am
You strike very well some points I've been trying to elaborate. Thank you for your time.
1
Change_main (2) | February 25, 2021 10:15pm
of course just looking out for you man :) and next weekend ima give your build a go and see how it works i have high hopes :D
Load more comments (1 more replies) →
1
Devampi (104) | February 22, 2021 2:44am
looking at the build as it stands currently I have going to agree with amoral. during the early stages of the game you're going to get shredded by the lack of prot while you're stacking thebes.

Also, I think you slightly missed your goal as it revolves around Blink Rune No Escape combo. if this was really you're goal then why are you not grabbing Relic Dagger straight after thebes? The impact of an early Witchblade is not that much as most gods still rely on their ability damage. a start of Sentinel's Gift- Shoes of Focus- Gauntlet of Thebes- Relic Dagger will suit you better for the purpose. yes you will still be low on prot, but the higher health from Relic Dagger slightly helps with that.

after that, I think there are better items to utilize the Ares passive, then witch blade and especially Genji's Guard. items like sovereignity, Contagion, Pestilence (which you already noted), Shogun's Kusari, Void Stone. and if we include non aura the list continues. However, if we are assuming to keep these 2 items I would just grab witch blade after genji's as at this point an adc attack speed becomes dangerous. (so you can still opt it to something else otherwise)

and then we end with Rod of Asclepius. Which just asks why? The only reasons to get it on Ares would be on a team having a lot of healers when there is no cadeuces shield being build or rod by the other gods. in that case phytagorem's piece will better fulfill the job.

and as your argument below was for the speed. I would have recommended something like Talisman of Energy or Winged Blade 20x over rod. yes they do not give you power, but you could switch genji's out for one of those and then end of with Mantle of Discord or another item.
1
cLaw_eagLe (2) | February 22, 2021 3:16am
From the concept of why Gauntlet of Thebes early because no prots and you need to stack it, you end up suggesting Relic Dagger early, with no prots and also only health. I feel there some contradiction. Until Thebes gets stacked, because health, prots and price - being able to get it pretty early Witchblade gives you some survivability. Again Relic is also pretty cheap, won't take long. This way I see it more effective of an order. As per other suggestions, it is clear already form the notes and the comments here why the chosen items. I don't choose Rod of Asclepius based on passive, I was clear before why it is used. But, hey, not directed to you, do we have a problem with reading or is the website missing something, There Are Stated ALTERNATIVES. Is it such a problem I refuse to displace Rod?
1
Devampi (104) | February 22, 2021 4:29am
cLaw_eagLe wrote:
From the concept of why Gauntlet of Thebes early because no prots and you need to stack it, you end up suggesting Relic Dagger early, with no prots and also only health. I feel there some contradiction.

I fully know I contradicted myself as during the last sentence I even acknowledge that you will still lack prot. the best way to fix it is either skip thebes for Sovereignty+magic defense combo or grab Reinforced Greaves.

cLaw_eagLe wrote:

Until Thebes gets stacked, because health, prots and price - being able to get it pretty early Witchblade gives you some survivability. Again Relic is also pretty cheap, won't take long. This way I see it more effective of an order.


Order is really subjective to how you play the game, the reason I swap them is that in mid the 100 extra hp and 10% ccr has a bigger effect than the AS reduction which mages don't use. Might be slightly more useful against the jungle but most are burst reliant not AA. and honestly Witchblade is too situational as it value depends on AA reliant gods. Just grabbing it because there is 1 aa reliant person while I could also grab sovereignity. honestly my build for this type of game would be:
( Sentinel's Embrace- Shoes of Focus-sovereignity- Shogun's Kusari- Relic Dagger. trading out the stacking requirement of thebes for immediate dive potential from sov grabbing the cdr and boosting my team with kusari (mostly picked for the stats than the attack speed). as embrace will do thebes job right now.

cLaw_eagLe wrote:

As per other suggestions, it is clear already form the notes and the comments here why the chosen items. I don't choose Rod of Asclepius based on passive, I was clear before why it is used. But, hey, not directed to you, do we have a problem with reading or is the website missing something, There Are Stated ALTERNATIVES. Is it such a problem I refuse to displace Rod?

Honestly, most of your notes don't really explain a lot about the item choices just grouping them under spamming blink ult. which to an experienced player is attributed to having Relic Dagger, after that you explain Genji's for mana. all other items are not or barely explained to why, most of your explanations are mentions. meaning people will just grab the sample build (as tons of people do not look at notes when they quickly search for a build)

on the alternatives point, the reason rod gets picked on is that your alternatives are 10x better for your sample build, leaving the question why rod is more important than the other 2 alternatives. and the argument of 'it's a good stat stick' being super weak for an item as expensive as rod compared to the stats or price on your alternatives
Load more comments (8 more replies) →
3
AmoralOne (4) | February 21, 2021 7:20pm
So, I did my best to find the logic in this build, but I just cant. Its not a great build. My main point here in a nut shell is you need more prots. I can also explain a much better build, and I can explain a better build for CD which seems to be your point here judging by your notes.

So right off the bat you got the starter right, that will end up being Sentinel's Embrace. You have CD boots, which I guess is fine for the most part but Reinforced Shoes is very bloated and really nice, not to mention if you are wanting to build Gauntlet of Thebes you should probs grab some early protections to help get you through the stacking. So going Reinforced Shoes into Stone of Binding gives you early protections, both are cheap, and you get the passive from Binding. Then if you still want to stack Gauntlet of Thebes you have prots to get you through the early game, and your binding adds to the pressure needed to play Ares successfully. I personally wouldnt build thebes rn cause there is no reason to. Its still good, and you'll see it in a lot of my guides for guardian supps but rushing Sov after boots/binding is going to let you fight so much sooner. Anyway if you skip your thebes, you can go into Sovereignty giving you the ability to tank towers, and adds to the Ares passive. Then getting Heartward Amulet gives you magic prots, and another stack on your Ares passive. You'll notice you dont have a lot of cd in this build, and thats fine, you can grab a last item of Pridwen and now you have 20%, Sell your boots for either Spirit Robe or Mantle of Discord both give great prots, 10% CD, and a really nice passive either way you choose. now you have 30% plus a Potion of Power for 40%. Going into what you are looking for which is cooldowns quickly based off your notes the build I would go is: Sentinel's Embrace - Reinforced Shoes - Gauntlet of Thebes - Pridwen - Relic Dagger - Mantle of Discord This gives you cooldowns, but keeps you tanky enough to do your job. You have to have good protections otherwise you will get blown up, and be useless during the match. If you want to add a damage item into this cooldown build you can sell boots for like Spear of the Magus Your actives were fine, Blink Rune and another teamfight active. I get these types of builds you made work well in like Arena, and lower elo conquest games, but if you tried this in a higher up lobby against good players you'll be punished hard.
-2
cLaw_eagLe (2) | February 21, 2021 10:38pm
Well I can see the same generic patterns in every one of your guide. Being politically correct in guide build, hanging around with the staff won't help people with your build choices though. You can see straight everything by looking into your guides. I feel bad for the new players.
-3
cLaw_eagLe (2) | February 21, 2021 10:25pm
Just read the notes and the comment replies here scrub. Health, Prots, CDR, Mobility, Price, Relics, some HP5, MP5, Power, some CCR but Ares Bolster Defenses so its ok. The other options above, read the notes again, it doesn't serve the purpose and you rarely get to late endgame with all that money you theorize here. If you tried this and paid attention to the idea, you wouldn't comment generic builds here with no health backbone, no mana sustain, pricy and on top of that Spear of the Magus to compensate for your lack of good choices again with no health. Actually if you tried your ideas, Ares gets exterminated. Try mine practically and come back to comment again. Good luck.
0
Didacted (4) | February 22, 2021 6:22am
I don’t think you understand how the game works.
Load more comments (1 more replies) →
1
AmoralOne (4) | February 22, 2021 6:16am
No worries, not really sure what you were meaning in half of your comment, but where my builds may be "simple" its meta. We have meta for a reason lol. Players that come here looking for good guides to increase their performance shouldn't get stuck looking at stuff like this. You can check my smite.guru every single game I play I end up late game right next to boots. I actually have a few Ares games some what recently. As far as hanging around the staff, I just joined SmiteFire not even 2 months ago. lol Im just an actual support main that is looking to help other supp players become better. Thats why you dont see troll builds on any of my guides, but anyway, good luck to you sir
Load more comments (1 more replies) →
2
Big damage (23) | February 21, 2021 10:45pm
We're not trying to be malicious. You don't need to resort to name calling because there are criticisms with your build. Instead of being so stubborn about your build being good try to open your mind a bit more to the literal paragraphs of solid feedback you are being given.

Something that we see frequently is players who are in a lower elo using builds do have issues, sometimes big and sometimes small and they believe that because it is objectively good in their games that it is good no matter what. Realising this difference and even at least attempting to see if feedback is good or not by testing in comparison is one of the first steps to actually improving not only in your builds but as a player as well.

Hey I've been there too. My builds used to suck, some of them probably still do. I had criticisms of my builds and I thought these guys were just trying to **** on my effort but once you sorta take a step back and try new or different things openly you realise that not everything you think you know is what you thought. I've learned a lot about this game and I'm still learning now, and I'm sure most others here are in that same boat.
Load more comments (1 more replies) →
1
Gulfwulf (77) | February 21, 2021 8:46pm
I would probably go with Shoes of the Magi instead of reinforced since Ares is such an aggressive guardian, and the extra power and lifesteal can help when trying to bully the other team. Or just go with Shoes of Focus instead so you can use Shackles more often. I like Reinforced Shoes, but I think they're a bit niche.
2
AmoralOne (4) | February 22, 2021 6:22am
Shoes of the Magi are good boots, but Reinforced Shoes are sooo bloated that there almost is never a time to skip them on x support. Currently the only god im getting anything else on is Yemoja just cause Shoes of Focus work with her so well. There is nothing wrong with going Shoes of Focus like he has in this build, the only issue is lack of protections.
Load more comments (1 more replies) →
1
Devampi (104) | February 22, 2021 2:17am
reinforced is actually quite underrated early. especially in the duo lane the extra tankiness can easily help you out trade a guardian using cdr boots for an early lead. This makes them great on early aggro supports as minions will punish you less.
-5
cLaw_eagLe (2) | February 21, 2021 1:29pm
The Voting system would be amaizing as a rating system for builds, for newer/other players if it was Objective. You don't do a favor newer players by downvoting because of pesonal reasons (aka not agreeing with you). It discourages to try the actual build because of a Shoes replacement option. Unfortunate but I believe in their judgment and practical trial of this build.
2
Didacted (4) | February 22, 2021 6:26am
These builds are made to help new players. The bad builds are downvoted so that new players know to not use them. That’s the purpose of downvotes.
-1
cLaw_eagLe (2) | February 22, 2021 6:45am
^Did you return the favor to Amoralone in the proper way, or you need to more openly show the love for each other?
Load more comments (13 more replies) →
3
Branmuffin17 (336) | February 21, 2021 2:29pm
In this situation, I see downvotes as likely legitimate. An example build that shows Rod of Asclepius as a shoes replacement for Ares is just not a good example, and a questionable choice for what I will say is otherwise a generally solid build. But for those that come here looking for a build and don't know better, they may just straight copy that, and I would say it's not a great precedent to suggest to those players. You may feel the one item example shouldn't be cause for a downvote, but I would say that example greatly weakens the overall view of the build. At that point, it's not downvoting for personal reasons, it's downvoting because the build becomes questionable.

Not agreeing is a weird thing to argue on being a personal reason. The example comments below not agreeing with you isn't something that I see being personal. Taking something personal is..."I don't like your tone." "I don't like your attitude." "You insulted me and now I'm going to insult you." This isn't that from what I see. Rather, the build has some issues, these people are addressing and commenting on those issues. Those are legitimate reasons for a downvote IMO. Not understanding that there's a MS soft cap (2 in fact) isn't a crime, but it's a point that strengthens an argument against a build that's specifying into a high amount of MS (Shoes, Witch, Relic, late Asclep, when you've already got some solid MS potential through your kit). If we're talking objectively evaluating a build as you've suggested would be great, the presence of Asclep being an option while something like Void Stone or some key counter-items or maybe situational utility like Gem of Isolation not being mentioned is objectively a reason not to upvote.

Again, I feel the build is generally solid. There are some other options you have, and granted you don't have to list them or agree with them, but they're there...
  • Due to Sentinel's Embrace's upgrade protection aura that strongly beats out Thebes' aura, many have been skipping Thebes. You alternatively could then opt into Sovereignty in its place.

  • This probably then changes your build too much in terms of order requirement, because dropping Thebes means you'll likely need magical prots earlier.

  • I think Witchblade might be in there a bit early. Most ADCs won't be a huge threat at that point of the game, and while Witch got a nice buff, I don't know that it's needed then. I don't have any major issues with it built that early, but also feel it shouldn't be fully relied upon as a physical prot item. This then moves into considering the rest of your item choices, and none of the rest of those items provide physical protections (outside of the Embrace upgrade). That's potentially okay, but having Relic and Asclep in there as well, with both providing no protections, hurts things a bit. Really, this ends up circling back to the choice of Asclep. You seem to want to brush it off as no big deal, but it 100% is affecting the strength of the build as a whole.
I do like different build concepts, and people making an effort to showcase these. I don't think adhering 100% to the meta with every build helps the site...otherwise, we just need a single build for every god and can ignore everything else. But when applying different concepts of builds, I think it's also important to understand the various mechanics (e.g. MS caps, protection / health / effective health interactions), and to put forth an honest effort to engage with comments, and not just hold to your concept. Consider suggestions, admit when a differing opinion might have good value, etc. Stating "your argument is invalid" isn't doing that.
-2
cLaw_eagLe (2) | February 21, 2021 3:32pm
Match IDs:
1132813809
1132825782

Why downvote for shoes replacement when lately, rarely it does get to it. Not using these matches to prove my point but actually rarely it gets there. Then downvoting when clearly there are stated for New and Other players The Alternatives for that. It is left for - personal reasons. Anyway, good luck with the builds.
-1
cLaw_eagLe (2) | February 21, 2021 3:15pm
I am open to new suggestions when they are reasonable. Just did a change into Sylvanus Guide for that matter.

Stating Diminishing Returns as a problem in item choice when it affects for hardly 2.8% in total is invalid, it is not soft cap. Unless I am wrong. If you know the mechanics better, prove it.

You misunderstood, I said Dowonvoting for personal reasons (aka Downvoting because I don't agree with you) is not objective and it is harmful. That is what happened here in this guide. You are a part of it, so its ok,the guide isn't directed to the elevated members of the forum.

If you think you are right, try the build in the field. I'm 100% sure you will have a different opinion. Theoretizing without applying based on the meta, arguably if there is still one formed in this season, is not helpful.
Load more comments (4 more replies) →
1
Gulfwulf (77) | February 21, 2021 9:23am
You're better off with something like Void Stone over rod.
0
cLaw_eagLe (2) | February 21, 2021 9:49am
There are alternatives stated for Rod. Void if you like will do too.
1
Big damage (23) | February 21, 2021 9:55am
But it shouldn't be listed as the main choice just because it's an aura item that works with his passive doesn't mean it's a good item for him.
Load more comments (7 more replies) →
1
xmysterionz (63) | February 21, 2021 9:16am
I do think rod is not a good option for Ares
Loading Comments...
Load More Comments
League of Legends Build Guide Author cLaw_eagLe
Removed for Personal Reasons
Table of Contents

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved