Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Book of Thoth

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » The Book of Thoth 18 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » August 26, 2015 9:18am | Report
Vithaliy wrote:

Yes you're right, but I've recently seen it bought really early (1 active and 1 tier-1 item + Rod of Tahuti)... and you can say it's done by a noob, but it actually was Lassiz (team Eager) in the game of the year

I don't know why he did that, cause I also buy it as a 4th item (most of the time before penetration, cause I want to put pressure on the mid lane, not for the team fight yet)

Well, Lassiz already had pen and Rod of Tahuti is one of those items where if you have enough gold, go for it.
Vithaliy wrote:

I also prefer the Warlock's Sash if I have to go for a stacking item, because it gives good HP, but I try not to stack with mages, only with guardians.

Yes, extra damage (15% of target's HP), not power, sorry for the wrong wording. Still I think this is way better than Book of Thoth for ability based mages.

I still don't think that it's good for early game (but don't worry I can change my mind, I already did regarding Malice vs Rage :p). For the same price you can have Chronos' Pendant, ok it give you 25% less MP, but it gives your 25 MP5 (which better IMO than 125 mana) and more importantly 25% cooldown, which can save your life, especially for gods like Poseidon, Zeus or Janus that are ability dependent for escapes.

Well if you're going for mana sustain, Book of Thoth without a doubt is better than Chronos' Pendant. Book of Thoth gives 15 MP5 vs the 25 that Chronos' Pendant does. However, Book of Thoth doesn't just give 125 measely mana. 875 mana and more than just a 25% power increase. You have to account the power you get from the passive which can be around 30-40 late game.

And Obsidian Shard on Nu Wa... Ewwww

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » August 26, 2015 11:40am | Report
Greenevers wrote:

And Obsidian Shard on Nu Wa... Ewwww

More Tower damage bby
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » August 26, 2015 2:00pm | Report
Only get Obsidian Shard on Chronos for tower damage. Spear is better on every other mage except for maybe Janus because you won't always get Portal before landing Unstable Vortex. But his passive and portal procs spear, so it's good on him too (2 stacks spear > obby).

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » August 26, 2015 2:04pm | Report
Greenevers wrote:

Only get Obsidian Shard on Chronos for tower damage. Spear is better on every other mage except for maybe Janus because you won't always get Portal before landing Unstable Vortex. But his passive and portal procs spear, so it's good on him too (2 stacks spear > obby).

But Nu Wa push 2 gud ._.

Also, I did put Spear of the Magus as a option on my guide. I just normally use it when the god a easy asf DoT damage, like Love Birds.
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » August 26, 2015 10:45pm | Report
Greenevers wrote:

Well, Lassiz already had pen and Rod of Tahuti is one of those items where if you have enough gold, go for it.

I do think that buying tahuti later is more gold efficient as the effects of the passive is really weak early on.

Didn't know that pen first gives more damage stil haven't played mages in a while and on ra I normally go to a healer so then tahuti is better as 5th.

Vithaliy wrote:

I still don't think that it's good for early game (but don't worry I can change my mind, I already did regarding Malice vs Rage :p). For the same price you can have Chronos' Pendant, ok it give you 25% less MP, but it gives your 25 MP5 (which better IMO than 125 mana) and more importantly 25% cooldown, which can save your life, especially for gods like Poseidon, Zeus or Janus that are ability dependent for escapes.

you are making a pretty noob error here of giving regen a higher value over pool. in most cases pool stands above regen. As on HP havign 200 hp more is better then 50hp5 when you are getting attacked (and well with crits and mages having burst damage a fight won't last 20 seconds).
Mana has the same case as having 100 mana which gives enough for another spell cast can make the difference of your target escaping with almsot no HP or getting away as your 25MP5 isn't enough to give you that 100 mana in 3 seconds (instead you get it over 20 sec).

Green I actually just now notice how much more useful spear is for bursting squishies (as they already lose 50% of their Magic protections on flat pen).

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Webster0 » March 4, 2016 5:03am | Report
Thanks all, while I haven't replied I have appreciated the input. Out of interect, how do you compare book with warlock sash?

Also I feel book is better now over the last few patches but I'm not 100%. Mostly as mentioned by others I do tend to use glass cannons and am more of a team support mage. If I am playing straight 1v1 mage (you get what I mean) I would be using a different mage like freya who I build differently anyway, but most my other mage (isis, scylla, janis) I don't play as 'bruisers/sustain' but oh look I can help get that guy a kill. Don't know if that changes much.

I am really struggling with a hel build now both her own cd and item cd got nerfed. I feel the new spear is auto include...

Webster0

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » March 4, 2016 6:30am | Report
you can't really compare them that well. the only point you can compare them on is magic power and mana. on both those points Book of Thoth is better in late game.

However better then warlock's sash is a bit hard as warlock sash is the most cost efficient item in the game. It gives more raw stats then any other item especially when fully stacked (in raw stats it gives more then book fully stacked as the passive power won't be taken into the equation). and early game it also provides a better mana sustain then book.

Normally while choosing your stacking item you look at what you need. More sustain or more power. for sustain take warlock's, for power take book.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DeanOMiite » March 14, 2016 1:28pm | Report
I build Book of Thoth on almost all my mages just because it gives good power and sustain with all that mana. Anything that means I can stay out farming longer is OK in my book...of thoth.

I'm not saying you HAVE to build it on mages, just that I do. I actually build it FIRST on Janus for example because his early clear is already so strong with Unstable Vortex and Tiny Trinket gives more power than Lost Artifact, which is the other item I would start on with a mage if I didn't go trinket...plus Vampiric Shroud and two pots in this example. It just makes that character more aggressive and oppressive, and with the portal he can get away more easily than Eset for example.

DeanOMiite

Notable (1)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }