Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Help creating an Ares build

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Help creating an Ares build 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Grover » April 2, 2014 3:35am | Report
Hey there, I'm a relatively new player to MOBAs and have been playing Smite for a good couple of weeks with friends. I've specifically taken a liking to Ares, but I feel I'm missing something. Again, new to MOBAs so not too sure on a good number of things, so I figured I'd ask you fine people for some help.

Skill-wise, I've pretty much got it down to "chain everything", while using Bolster Defenses to stop ganks or ultis from killing myself or teammates(levelled last/balanced with Searing Pain) and levelling No Escape when applicable. Item-wise however, I'm a little unsure.

Looking around, some people say Mystical Mail is a key item, while others say to avoid it because the damage is insignificant late-game due to the pace the game goes at. Same thing is said for Witchblade/Boots.

Basically, I can't figure out how to set up everything. It seems like people and guides split him into two categories of Chain Burn and Ulti-focused. Which is a more effective role as a whole? The ultimate-focused one seems to only exist to stop those two actives that people have to buy to protect from him (and if they don't, they get wiped quickly), while the other seems to fall flat when somebody else joins the party and you end up awkwardly chasing an enemy as far as possible while his buddy/team chases behind, with your team behind them.

Should aura items be considered more than the alternatives, thanks to the passive or should they only be the basic Void stone, Sovereinity? Damage seems to disappear a little late-game, even when directly working on this.

Either way, can anyone with some good experience with our dear God of War spare the time for some advice on playstyle, build and strategies? Thanks in advance.

TL;DR: <Insert "I have no idea what I'm doing" picture here>

Grover

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » April 2, 2014 3:40am | Report
Hey man! I hope you're enjoying the game :)!
There are a few guides on Ares, check those out ;)!
Just click on god guides (below the smitefire "symbol"), and select Ares for guide filters, then click filters and there you are: Ares guides :D! You kinda want to look at the most (up)voted guide.

I don't play Ares, so this is the furthers I can help you :3

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Grover » April 2, 2014 3:43am | Report
I've taken a look at some of those, but they're either outdated (I don't think some of the items in them exists anymore) or seem to sing one tune and not mention the other playstyles. Plus all these things people have said about witchblade and other things, yet they aren't mentioned. Someone did say about an update to it, so I guess even the most rated guide here seems to be a little outdated...

There's hardly any guides for Ares here in the first place, do people not like him or is he subpar?

Grover

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » April 2, 2014 4:50am | Report
I'll try and find some more information ;-)
I'd generally not get Witchblade for ares since he's not that autoattack based and there are better aura items for him (personal opinion).
Quick question though, which gamemode is this for?

EDIT: I think the most upvoted guide for Ares is fairly updated. There are also a few guides tiermonster.com/guides. The one of "Teaching Tuesdays" is very good, also discussing playstyle during different stages of the game.

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Grover » April 2, 2014 5:59am | Report
I think the witch made is more for the hybridization, giving both tank power (also keeping you and your team in the fight) while also granting some damage. Admittedly you lose cooldown/penetration, but it frees up another item for more damage/tanking/support.

I suppose it's for a general setup. I assume that there's not a massive difference in setups for different game modes. I'd say mostly arena.

I'll take a look at that guides.

Grover

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » April 4, 2014 1:03pm | Report
There are two general ways of building Ares: Magical Bruiser, or Full Tank.

Magical Bruiser: I typically run Shoes of Focus, Mystical Mail, Void Stone, Spear of the Magus, pythagroem's piece. The last item is situational. You can either go for full damage with Rod of Tahuti or get some more CDR or protections. If you feel like going full ******, you can skip Shoes of Focus and instead get Rod of Asclepius & witch blade. Bruiser Ares is better IMO.

Full Tank: For Arena: Breastplate of Valor, Shoes of Focus, Void Stone, Pestilence, Sovereignty, witch stone & a last item of choice. For Conquest, the final build would be also something close to that. You can also get Spear of the Magus when going full tank if you want your mages to deal near true damage to targets. This item is very effective for Ares.

My Guides

If you want me to review your guide, or need help and tips, make sure to P.M me. I'll be happy to do so.

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » April 4, 2014 11:10pm | Report
Conquest support build:

Core items IMO would be Sovereignty and Void Stone. On top of that Pestilence is great if the enemy team got any type of heal. Witchblade is great if the enemy team have a fed physical god or are physical damage heavy. Mystical Mail is a good early game item, but unless you are playing solo (not a great spot for Ares) you should get Sovereignty first.

Other than that some cdr could be great so that you'r ult does not get beadsed every time. And maybe a Gem of Isolation or Spear of the Magus to make your Searing Flesh even more deadly. Gem of Isolation would give you some more utility which is what Ares lacks as a support.

So a build could look like this:

Watcher's Gift-->midas' boots--> Hand of the Gods-->blink--> Sovereignty--> Void Stone--> Gem of Isolation-->witchbade-->sell Watcher's Gift for Pestilence-->sell midas' boots for Shoes of Focus

In a build like that everyone on the team have to buy wards, so remember to specify that :P
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }