Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Define God

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » Define God 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by arka222 » March 24, 2014 1:51pm | Report
As smite is based on mythologies and gods, i would like to hear what people think is meant by the word "God"? It is a universal word, used, respected, worshipped all over the world. Even thousands of people fight and kill each other over Gods and beliefs. Is "God" a symbol of love, hatred, divinity, peace, creation, existence or all and much more? How individuals here perceive the word "God"?

Edit: special recognition shall be given to the best answer!
Fun and Heart
IGN: arka222
Clan: ARKA GANG
Motto: Never let the team down..find a way to win..
My Guide on Vulcan
A god idea...

arka222

Memorable (12)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheGenocideLord » March 24, 2014 2:11pm | Report
well if you're talking polytheistically, then I guess gods are beings used to explain why nature acts the way it does. Now, I don't wanna get into the aspect of monotheism because I do not wish to offend anyone, but what is often believed is that God is an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent being that controls everything even abstract things like time, love, etc. and is also believed to be the ne plus ultra of all things good.
What my yearbook quote should be: "Fluorine Uranium Carbon Potassium Ytrrium Oxygen Uranium Bismuth Technetium Einsteinium"

TheGenocideLord

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » March 24, 2014 2:15pm | Report
Do you mean "God" or "a god"?

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by arka222 » March 24, 2014 2:18pm | Report
Pentargonite wrote:

Do you mean "God" or "a god"?

God, not a god ^_^. But if u wish to comment on ' a god ' pls do, no restrictions
Fun and Heart
IGN: arka222
Clan: ARKA GANG
Motto: Never let the team down..find a way to win..
My Guide on Vulcan
A god idea...

arka222

Memorable (12)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Aphnex » March 24, 2014 2:23pm | Report
Hm...Without being monotheistic, basically just a supreme immortal being that is a leverage/guiding tool for those in doubt/need. It makes them complete, it makes them happy, let them believe what they believe. It might be true, but in all reality, nothing is 100% sure.

Aphnex

Prominent (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » March 25, 2014 4:02am | Report
Let's see... I generally differentiate between Monotheistic and Polytheistic.

Monotheistic : An omnipotent,omnipresent,and omniscientific being that is supreme to all. Suffice to say, everything that happens in the world is directly or indirectly attributed to this God.

A clear example is the God of the Abrahamic Religions (Islam,Christianity,Judaism)

Polytheistic : A being that is often the representative of things,happenings, or even moral values that is deemed superior to mankind/the world.

Examples : -Agni (God of Fire)
-Tyr (Justice and Courage)

A good "archaic" example would be a thunderstorm. People with Abrahamic religions would say that it is God's wrath, but people who believes in the Greek pantheon could always say it is the wrath of Zeus, or Lithuanian pagans would say it is the work of Perkunas.

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Nex The Slayer » March 25, 2014 4:11am | Report
FerrumSlash wrote:

Let's see... I generally differentiate between Monotheistic and Polytheistic.

Monotheistic : An omnipotent,omnipresent,and omniscientific being that is supreme to all. Suffice to say, everything that happens in the world is directly or indirectly attributed to this God.

A clear example is the God of the Abrahamic Religions (Islam,Christianity,Judaism)

Polytheistic : A being that is often the representative of things,happenings, or even moral values that is deemed superior to mankind/the world.

Examples : -Agni (God of Fire)
-Tyr (Justice and Courage)

A good "archaic" example would be a thunderstorm. People with Abrahamic religions would say that it is God's wrath, but people who believes in the Greek pantheon could always say it is the wrath of Zeus, or Lithuanian pagans would say it is the work of Perkunas.

Dam it you beat me to it >:(

Nex The Slayer

Prominent (37)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Demolibium » March 25, 2014 4:32am | Report
The following answer will be my own opinion and thought so please do not take it offensively as i do not intend it to be.

I would say God is a being in which man believes that he holds the ultimate power, is the creator of the world and everything that man knows of.
In different parts of the world God is represented differently. In Hindu Gods are Polytheistic as Nex said. Each and every happening is defined on the basis of God.
I being a Hindu only have true knowledge about this religion so i wont comment on the others.
God is also considered a body which is feared as much as revered.
He is said to hold divine powers and thus the bringer of calamities as well as the creator.
In short i will say God is a being which humans use to define certain events or happenings which cannot be explained otherwise.
Thus, God is a being used to provide hope to the people and to keep them strong when times are tough by giving them something to believe in.(Not everyone can believe in themselves).

It may be offensive to some, so i apologize beforehand.
Signature made by me ofcourse :P
And here is my dear Signature Shoppe
Check out these guides which i adore:-
Fenrir Guide by DarkJaw
Anubis guide also by DarkJaw
Sobek guide also by DarkJaw
Agni guide by Nimec
Vulcan guide by Jordenito
Skype- vidit.agarwal97 (do not make fun this is my name =.=)

Demolibium

Prominent (32)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » March 25, 2014 8:12am | Report
LOL This is not a hard question.

What would I consider a god is simple, for me to say you are a god you at least have to do this.

#1 - Be able to create things, not things like cars I mean can create life without the use of cloning ect. Can create planets, stars or anything ordinarily inhumanly possible objects.

#2 - Has to be immortal not able to die, simple

#3 - Can travel anywhere in the universe in a blink of an eye or get there unhumnanly fast.

#4 - Has knowledge that is either beyond understanding because they are a god or knows all things, or at least knows more than any other living species in the universe.

#5 - Can bring back to life or kill without the use of weapons, ect.

#6 - Can speak through your mind, even though this is probably going to be possible in the future I am talking about without the use of technology.

#7 - Can end the universe, mess with time/space

So some things can be done but a GOD has most if not all of these things without the use of technology. So if I was to wake up and see someone who started doing 90% of all these things I said I would say they are a god or god like, no f that they would be a GOD. Wither or not they would be the GOD that created everything is a different question but surely they would qualify for being a "God" maybe not the God of all Gods if its possible for there to be more than one god but a god none the less.

A God does not have to be good or evil. For how I see it is, as long as they can do those things I listed I consider that to be powers of a god, which means if they were a flying pickle who was talking and doing those things above, sorry but that pickle is a god wither you like it or not.

I think some people are getting confused by "God" meaning just the term "God" and "God" coming from the bibles or religions. I can tell because people are talking about a god should be nice ect.

No the question was what would be defined as a god, being good or nice has nothing to do with being a god just as being nice or bad has nothing to do with me being a human. Good or bad is more like the side you choose, god is a definition not an emotion.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » March 25, 2014 10:12am | Report
Growing up in the Christian world I do (I don't believe in any "God" though), I believe that "God" is someone who decides everything what happens, but doesn't control you or your emotions. He/she (don't know to be honest :3) just shapes the enviroment around you.

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }