Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Understanding the game

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Understanding the game 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by zywee » February 12, 2016 12:40am | Report
Hello guys! I'm a new player of this game, actually i've been playing arena a lot without knowing what to buy, in which order should I "upgrade" the "utlras"... And I finally decided to learn more about the game because i like it a lot and found this wonderful site! :) My request is: can somebody help me understanding the game plz ^^ I tried to read some stuffs but understood nothing... Thnaks in advance :) I play on PC

zywee

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » February 12, 2016 1:28am | Report
Hi Zywee,

Yikes, that's a big question. Where to start? Well, you've gone through the tutorial already, and you've probably chosen the best beginning mode, as you only really have to worry about fighting in Arena. That said, this game doesn't have an easy learning curve because there is so much experience involved... Familiarity with different gods, not only for you to play them well but to recognize what others do so you can fight better against them. Knowing terms, knowing maps, knowing items off the top of your head. These unfortunately cannot be learned in a better way than by just playing a LOT.

That said, there are things that can help you. With regard to guides, my first suggestion would be to check out Aramey's beginners guide, found here: https://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/bugs-beginners-universal-guide-to-smite-9303

This is perhaps the single best resource on the site to get you started.

After reading that, I would concentrate mostly on co-op games in the mode of your choice, just so you can have no pressure while you experiment and get comfortable with what you're seeing and doing. Don't worry about leveling yourself up or buying items until you are good with movement, the maps, just the general feeling of the game. Let the in game functions handle that for you for now. Things should just start falling into place for you after a while, with mechanics and whatnot.

I'm assuming you never played another MOBA type game before (such as League of Legends or DOTA), otherwise a lot of this would probably make more sense to start.

Once you've gotten a bit more familiar, and played the free gods and gods currently on rotation, you should get a sense of what kind of God you attune to more than others. Hone in on that God, play them repeatedly so you can really get more comfortable. After that, you can start reading more from guides on this site, learn about strategies, etc.

Come back after you've read Aramey's guide, and I'm sure we can help explain some of the more simple things that might not be obvious. But really, just keep playing for now. I think that will do a lot for you.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (395)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by zywee » February 12, 2016 1:43am | Report
Hi Branmuffin17!

Thanks a lot for your answer, I'm gonna start right now reading the Aramey's guide ^^
Actually There few gods I like, Bellona(lelv 3 and yep! from the trailer I liked her ^^) Neith(almost lvl 4) and artemmis, I tried a bit of LoL and didn't get along with it because back then only fighting games I was playing ^^ But usually i like far range characters in this kind of game but i can play some melee/warrior as bellona ^^

But as you said, I'm gonna read this guide first and then come back to learn some more if you would like to help me again ^^ again thanks a lot!

zywee

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DucksRock » February 12, 2016 4:01am | Report
zywee wrote:

Hi Branmuffin17!

Thanks a lot for your answer, I'm gonna start right now reading the Aramey's guide ^^
Actually There few gods I like, Bellona(lelv 3 and yep! from the trailer I liked her ^^) Neith(almost lvl 4) and artemmis, I tried a bit of LoL and didn't get along with it because back then only fighting games I was playing ^^ But usually i like far range characters in this kind of game but i can play some melee/warrior as bellona ^^

But as you said, I'm gonna read this guide first and then come back to learn some more if you would like to help me again ^^ again thanks a lot!

Well, after you've read the guide, I think a logical step would be learning how to aim and hit skillshots, then learn about farming, team fighting and CC. Those should be your primary things, you can learn them through youtube videos, or through one of the mentors here. Then, You might want to focus on learning all of the other gods's abilities and how to deal with them.
-DucksRock
Hi!

I'm DucksRock, But you can call me Ducks.

Kuzenbo rights advocate, guide-making delayer and passionate pop music fan.

Kuzenbo guide coming soon.

DucksRock

Prominent (41)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » February 12, 2016 8:06am | Report
Hi zewee, welcome to SmiteFire

if you are new to SMITE and wish to learn more about this game, I'll suggest some reading for you.
These guides are not dedicated on specific gods, but rather on the game itself.

Amarey's BUGS - Beginner's Universal Guide to SMITE (already suggested by Branmuffin17)

Devampi's Basic mistakes you want to avoid

Firraria's Complete Beginner's Guide to SMITE!
This guide also provides a good list of different guides that will help you learn of specific subjects.

Like Bran said, when you are new, there is a lot of stuff to learn all at once.
Just don't stress out with that, you will learn most of them by just playing.
I'd recommend to not rush your leveling (using boosters or overplay during double exp week-end), as it will not benefit you really much.
The best moment to learn all those mechanics is when you are low level.

Also, while Arena is a good mode to learn gods abilities and fighting, don't hesitate to try other modes as well.
Each mode has their own particularities, which may or may not fit to your playstyle. Just try them out.

While you are not playing, feel free to come here and ask questions.

About any topic related to Smite has been covered in a guide, unfortunately, searching through all those guides might not be an easy task.

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GameGeekFan » February 12, 2016 10:21am | Report
Another note, learning this game will take a while, it wont be easy and it wont be quick for u to understand everything.

It took me since last summer to learn most of this stuff, and i still have a lot to learn. Just a heads up.

GameGeekFan
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (50)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by CakeSlapping » February 12, 2016 10:40am | Report
The most important advice I can think of is:

Losing is part of the game.

It's going to happen to you plenty.

Don't get bitter over your losses; learn from them

CakeSlapping

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » February 12, 2016 12:35pm | Report
I actually think arena is the worst mode the start in as it's to different from the other modes.

I would recommend you to go into Joust or assault sooner or later (or just hit CQ immediately if you dare and can take loads of complaining). These teach you a bit more about building and farming but don't make it to complicated yet (with rotations or jungling)

Also the curve keeps growing you will never finish learning the game in loads of cases

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by zywee » February 15, 2016 3:48am | Report
Thanks guys for the answers, I'm still reading the guides qnd time to time playing only arena because it's easier to handle from what i've seen, i tried the conquest mode and understood nothing, I mean the leveling up is a way more different, I guess I have to farm like you said @DucksRock... But I think I'm gonna keep playing the arena mode for a while at least till I'll be able to know how to upgrade the god skills without checking the guide I'm using for bellona https://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/bellopa-arena-attack-speed-7807 ^^ and also know what item should I buy, know the terms like CC and so on :P. As a fighting player I think I have enough patience to learn the game ^^ and hope i'll understand pretty fast and become a normal player. :)

zywee

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » February 15, 2016 5:52pm | Report
The specific reason I say arena is because you don't have to worry about lanes, leveling is easy, so it's more the simple mechanics of the game, e.g. moving, using abilities, going back to base to heal, etc.

Devampi is right in some ways, it's good to try different modes, because they all offer different things. Arena is nice because they're all very quick games, you level quickly, you get 8 gold a second, and all of these add up to a quick succession of some of what goes on in any other match.

Once you get familiar with your moves, and a few different gods, branching out is good, but in all honesty, it's going to take you hours upon hours until you're really comfortable with the gist of the game. Just keep at it. It took me a long time, and I still don't really play conquest.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (395)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }