Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Chrisitian pantheon

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » God & Item Ideas » Chrisitian pantheon 36 posts - page 2 of 4
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BurnMojo231 » January 14, 2016 12:14am | Report
CakeSlapping wrote:

Well... Well no... Christianity is just a damn boring religion to translate into a game like this.

You could work around the monotheism by using angels like deities, as they have done with other religions. So then you could have God, the Angel Gabriel, and the Angel satan.

None of these figures lore has anything that would translate remotely well into a COMBAT BASED GAME. Like what did Gabriel ever do? Inform Mary that God was planting Jesus inside her? That would make for a great smite character right?

It's not about being scared to offend Christians, it's about Christianity not having any gods/deities that would work in a combat game

Mercury the messenger of the gods(note he does not actually punch people)(the same role as Gabriel). Satan has fought and lost to the archangel Michael, Raphael the healer, Enoch the Patriarch, Azrael the Archangel of Death, Yahweh the name of the judeo-christian-islamic god,
Ariel "Lion of God", Sariel "Command of God", Nuriel "Fire of the Lord" makes hailstorms,
Metatron the recorder(note not Megatron), Lailah the night, and a lot more so no this pantheon has plenty of characters to put in the game. The Abrahamic faith is a lot more interesting than one gives credit for.

BurnMojo231

Notable (1)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » January 14, 2016 12:23am | Report
I'll give you some credit in that those characters from the Abrahamic mythology do sound kinda badass at least in this brief description. However, the basis of what you said was incorrect initially. This:
BurnMojo231 wrote:

So Hi-Rez loses respect from me because they have chosen not to add Christen mythology, they have implicitly stated that the other religions are false and Christianity
is the truth and that is truly is the most offensive statement they have made.

This a HUGE leap to make. It is true that they don't want to piss off their target demographic by adding Christian gods to the game, but it's also true that there's less demand for this pantheon than others as well. Hindu, Celtic, Shinto, are all hugely popular choices with massively large pools of characters to choose from making them much better candidates, not to mention African mythologies which they haven't touched yet outside of Egypt. In any case, I'm just happy to see the Japanese pantheon here, I've wanted that since I first started playing smite :)
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BurnMojo231 » January 14, 2016 12:50am | Report
Zilby wrote:

I'll give you some credit in that those characters from the Abrahamic mythology do sound kinda badass at least in this brief description. However, the basis of what you said was incorrect initially. This:

This a HUGE leap to make. It is true that they don't want to piss off their target demographic by adding Christian gods to the game, but it's also true that there's less demand for this pantheon than others as well. Hindu, Celtic, Shinto, are all hugely popular choices with massively large pools of characters to choose from making them much better candidates, not to mention African mythologies which they haven't touched yet outside of Egypt. In any case, I'm just happy to see the Japanese pantheon here, I've wanted that since I first started playing smite :)

Okay I'll admit it's a huge *** leap, but this has normally aggravated me to no end since they
stated they would not add the Abrahamic mythology to smite. But on the other hand this was the mythology explicitly stated not to be in the game all others are on the board.

BurnMojo231

Notable (1)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » January 14, 2016 2:13am | Report
First of all, thread title, *Christian

I, for one, would be excited to see a Christian pantheon of sorts. There are lots of Abrahamic, biblical figures that can be portrayed in Smite.

Have you ever heard of the Warriors series? Or the Sengoku Basara series? One of the things i love from the series is that they had found unique ways to portray historical figures.

For example:

This

becomes this

Smite could take the same approach, after all.

What couldn't be helped is the number of would-be-butthurt Christians at the release of the portrayals.

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by CakeSlapping » January 14, 2016 4:07am | Report
alright fair enough they do have some decent sounding deities In Christianity. I'll concede that.

CakeSlapping

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by pOOsie » January 14, 2016 5:23am | Report
CakeSlapping wrote:

Well... Well no... Christianity is just a damn boring religion to translate into a game like this.

You could work around the monotheism by using angels like deities, as they have done with other religions. So then you could have God, the Angel Gabriel, and the Angel satan.

None of these figures lore has anything that would translate remotely well into a COMBAT BASED GAME. Like what did Gabriel ever do? Inform Mary that God was planting Jesus inside her? That would make for a great smite character right?

It's not about being scared to offend Christians, it's about Christianity not having any gods/deities that would work in a combat game

I disagree. There are tons of interesting things that you can do with the christian religion and playing a biblical figure in the game might even bring some people a sense of nastalgia or they might take offense lol. Perhaps it seems boring to you becasue it might be the religion that you observe the most.

pOOsie

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by pOOsie » January 14, 2016 5:30am | Report
If you really want to start some trouble they should add the prophet mohammed to the game.

pOOsie

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » January 14, 2016 10:25am | Report
I actually think one of the reasons they won't take Christian is because Christian mythology isn't really considered ancient. As most of the pantheons don't have any followers any more (the others are a pretty low amount)

And probably the start date is important too as Hinduism may still be a large followed religion it's also one of the oldest

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BurnMojo231 » January 14, 2016 4:32pm | Report
Devampi wrote:

I actually think one of the reasons they won't take Christian is because Christian mythology isn't really considered ancient. As most of the pantheons don't have any followers any more (the others are a pretty low amount)

And probably the start date is important too as Hinduism may still be a large followed religion it's also one of the oldest

Well not exactly Ancient Greece is about 2500 years old and Ancient Rome is younger. Compare that to Judaism the religion that Christianity and Islam followed is 5000+ years old. One can wonder what is ancient? The age of Hinduism before being called Hinduism is unknown, but when it was named as such was between 500-200 BCE(before common era)(2500 years) when the various Indian cultures and traditions melded together. Hinduism as we know it now is not much older than Christianity. So I ask again what is ancient?

BurnMojo231

Notable (1)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GameGeekFan » January 14, 2016 5:10pm | Report
And we look on what he said, "...Christian mythology isnt really CONSIDERED ancient."

I suggest we stop figuring out why pantheons can be considered for Smite, but the responses for it.

We all know what happened with Hindu followers and Kali. Imagine Christians and all the threats. Especially the extremists. And then they have the famous leader in Vatican City, the Pope. Its a pretty big religion. Also Christianity is supposed to be known for peace. As far as I know, fighting other gods and minions isnt really considered "peaceful."

GameGeekFan
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (50)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }