Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Why you should play many gods

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Why you should play many gods 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » May 18, 2016 10:16am | Report
So I've met a few people that really only play a handful of gods, and some of them are actually critical of me for playing such a large variety of gods without a strong focus on a small handful (while I have 73 mastery, I only have 1 rank 10, ~7 rank 4-7 and a LOT of rank 2-3). They believe that spreading your focus across so many different characters inhibits your ability to play your best with your mains. I'm here to explain the benefits of playing many different gods, and how doing so can improve your gameplay.

1) Finding your strengths
The first benefit to playing many gods is having reference for what a single god excels at. It's easy to think that Loki might be a good auto-attack god and build attack speed and crit on him if you don't actually know what a good auto-attack god is (like Kali and Nemesis). Knowing your god's core strengths better lets you exploit them upon your enemies. It enhances your build paths and really lets you take advantage of what you can do that your enemies can't.

2) Discovering your weaknesses
Similarly to finding your strengths, playing other gods can really reveal to you where a god is limited. What do they have a really hard time doing? An example would be Kukulkan vs Agni. Kukulkan has a very hard time escaping and securing damage on enemies, also lacking strong CC. Agni has a strong escape and CC, but compared with Kukulkan has a much lower damage output at max potential, something you may not take note of if you only mained one or the other.

3) Knowing the matchup
Obviously, knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your enemies is essential in knowing how to play against them. It's incredibly helpful in knowing when it's safe to go in, when you should be careful and when your enemy is vulnerable. However, it's important to remember that personal experience can only go so far. Opponents can still catch you off guard by playing a god very differently from how you would play them. If you've never played Cabrakan as a mid laner that buys blink and builds full damage, your experience playing Cabrakan as a support isn't enough to prepare you for how much damage he's about to destroy your squishy mage with.

4) Transferable skills
Some gods are extremely good at teaching you how to perform certain actions in Smite. Playing Ullr can help you learn how to land skillshots, Poseidon can help you learn how to play it safe until you can burst somebody down, Chang'e can teach you how to weave in and out of a fight, and Geb can teach you how to tank and save your teammates at the last possible moment. Every god plays differently, and playing one may teach you skills that vastly improve your gameplay with another.

5) Enjoying the game
I don't know if this one is just me, but I can't stand playing most gods more than one game in a row. I get bored! Variety is the spice of life, and playing a different god every game makes smite a whole lot less stale.

Thoughts? Opinions? Leave your comments below!
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » May 18, 2016 10:26am | Report
Zilby wrote:

5) Enjoying the game
I don't know if this one is just me, but I can't stand playing most gods more than one game in a row. I get bored! Variety is the spice of life, and playing a different god every game makes smite a whole lot less stale.

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 18, 2016 10:53am | Report
There are ofc some advantages of playing a small pool (which I recommend when you're new to the game), however you will kill of your mains after a while and lose interest in the game. And certain things are impossible to learn with onl;y playing the same gods.

I play assault because of not wantin g to stick to gods and the wicked comps you can get

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DucksRock » May 18, 2016 10:58am | Report
I hope your not talking about me and Skadi XD, i play all hunters, most mages, some warriors, most assasins, and some guardians.
Hi!

I'm DucksRock, But you can call me Ducks.

Kuzenbo rights advocate, guide-making delayer and passionate pop music fan.

Kuzenbo guide coming soon.

DucksRock

Prominent (41)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » May 18, 2016 11:45am | Report
@Devampi, I'm a huge fan of assault, partially because I play everybody :P

@Ducks, no you have a fairly good god pool, you do play a lot of adc though lol

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DucksRock » May 18, 2016 11:47am | Report
Zilby wrote:

@Devampi, I'm a huge fan of assault, partially because I play everybody :P

@Ducks, no you have a fairly good god pool, you do play a lot of adc though lol

Cause adc's the most fun role in the game. duh.
Hi!

I'm DucksRock, But you can call me Ducks.

Kuzenbo rights advocate, guide-making delayer and passionate pop music fan.

Kuzenbo guide coming soon.

DucksRock

Prominent (41)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » May 19, 2016 2:22pm | Report
This is actually true lol

Although my goodpool is pretty small, I have fun playing them at least 2-3 times a day if I can.

Although Bastet is like the entire day. XD
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » May 19, 2016 2:39pm | Report
@Prism, you'll note that I said I can't stand playing most gods more than once in a row. There are of course exceptions...

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » May 19, 2016 3:07pm | Report
I just need a small god pool because I suck. I don't get tired of the game, but these days I do find myself not playing as much unless I have others to play with. For whatever reason, I just enjoy it more, even if I'm not doing well personally.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (395)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » May 19, 2016 6:08pm | Report
Branmuffin17 wrote:

I just need a small god pool because I suck.

But BRAN that was the whole point of this piece, the fact that playing MORE gods helps you improve!

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }