Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Why reddit doesn't like Smitefire

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Why reddit doesn't like Smitefire 45 posts - page 1 of 5
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » January 26, 2014 11:46am | Report
Just saw this post on Reddit that is the harsh truth:

"Problem with smitefire, the dudes cares to much about BB Coding and less about the content or the build."

That's very true with the way editors review guides nowadays. No one talks about whether the actual build works, just about whether it used headings or bb coding and other such stuff.

Just a thought.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GeouZu » January 26, 2014 12:17pm | Report
That isn't true that editors review guides only by BB Coding.It is just part of the review(criterium).It's much better to read a beautiful guide than just wall of text.

Also people try out the build(editors too) and write what they think about it.

GeouZu

Memorable (12)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by arka222 » January 26, 2014 12:28pm | Report
To me the majority people who visit this site r looking for broadly 2 things:

- assistance and guidance on playing the game, knowing the gods, there builds, understanding various elements of the game,etc.
- to post their greivances and suggestions

Few measures to address these issues more effectively:

- editors and other veteran members can compile a mini kit for each god with suggestions on build, and pros n cons of each of them. Careful thing to maintain is tat it should be independent of situation and scenerios, smthing which is absolutely a truth for tat god.

- keep these mini kits like a pop up information on the site's main page, to make the basic information on each god easily accessible to the visitor.

- if anybody wishes to read detailed guides he must register with the site and can go through the available guides, mention upcoming for the god tat doesn't hav a detailed guide.

- encourage small situational builds and guides. Keep them all under 1 head for a particular god like a book.

- editors must proof read all the guides before they r published or put them temporarily on forums for 24hrs bfr publishing.

- i dont think forums need too much change.
Fun and Heart
IGN: arka222
Clan: ARKA GANG
Motto: Never let the team down..find a way to win..
My Guide on Vulcan
A god idea...

arka222

Memorable (12)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » January 26, 2014 12:32pm | Report
dacoqrs wrote:

Just saw this post on Reddit that is the harsh truth:

"Problem with smitefire, the dudes cares to much about BB Coding and less about the content or the build."

That's very true with the way editors review guides nowadays. No one talks about whether the actual build works, just about whether it used headings or bb coding and other such stuff.

Just a thought.

i disagree with that. looking at one of the kali guides sub reviewd saying
Quoted:

Sorry about the late review. The focus of this one will be on gameplay.

How to Jungle Kali Section:
Pretty bad. Firstly, routes are too important, and secondly, your data here is badly organized. Also, you don't really give an explanation of how to gank, just when and where to use her leap/stun, which really belongs more in a tips or tricks section or a skills section.

Jungling Section:
Holy walls of text, Batman!

This is mostly filler and generic info. Remember, not generic stuff, but how to jungle as Kali, not how to jungle. You also restated some info that was in your How to Jungle Kali section, which is proof of disorganized data.

I do appreciate the addition of gameplay. It shows you are willing to improve, which is nice. I'd advise adding a ganking and teamfight section, for starters.

Congratulations. You've expanded this guide enough that I can finally upvote. Good luck.
Um, considering the video is of Kali pre-rework, I think it is no longer relevant and should be deleted. (Oh, and I forgot to mention that Kali's fast basics make her a good matchup for The Executioner. It also helps if an enemy tank is the mark, and you need to shred their protections a bit.)

I guess it's time to lead by example.

Ganking:
Before you gank: let your teammates know who your mark is. Kali is not only an assassin, she is also a melee carry, and the kill shouldn't always be given to the other carry.

If you can, do not initiate with Nimble Strike, unless the target has already used their escape skill. Instead, walk behind the target and use Incense, before hitting with a few basic attacks if you have The Executioner, then using Lash. If you have Qin's Sais, just use Lash, before basic attacking.

If or when the enemy uses an escape, chase with Nimble Strike, then finish them off with either blood lash or some more basic attacks. With your ultimate, you could even chase them into the tower, but only if they are your mark.

For more elusive targets, consider getting Fist of the Gods, which is essentially another Incense.
[quote/]

i do not read much about coding in this but then again this guide had good coding.

so looking at one that doesn't i found this

never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » January 26, 2014 1:02pm | Report
I'm just saying, while a guide needs to look nice, the number one priority should be, does it actually work.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 26, 2014 1:10pm | Report
dacoqrs wrote:

I'm just saying, while a guide needs to look nice, the number one priority should be, does it actually work.

You should read my Reddit post to see the context for this comment, but this is what I stated in reply to a similar statement:

I agree with your second sentence much more than the first. The grand majority of our reviews are generally done by Subzero and he always starts out with the build. I don't believe BBCoding is essential, but proper presentation is - BBCoding just makes that easier. Content is indeed the most important part about a guide, but it still needs to flow logically and be easy to read.

I agree that there are a disproportionate amount of poor builds and guides to good ones on Smitefire. The main reason for this, I think, is that, unlike Tiermonster, there is no review process before a guide is published. We strictly rely on people commenting and downvoting the poor guides, and unfortunately many people can't even bring themselves to perform one clicking motion.

I think both Tiermonster and Smitefire are great sites. Tiermonster, in my opinion, is more up-to-date and reliable due to the previously mentioned review system. Smitefire, on the other hand, is an excellent site if you really put forth the effort into making a great guide. The reason I haven't published any guides for Tiermonster is because it's little more than a word document. They both serve their roles well, and they also both have plenty of room for improvement.

Basically, BBCoding is always mentioned because presentation is an important aspect of a guide. But I want to reiterate something - in Sub's reviews (let's face it, he's the review guy here), he always starts with the builds, item explanations, and skill explanations first. Then he goes on to comment about the presentation of the guide.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » January 26, 2014 1:18pm | Report
Of course that's the number one priority. I don't think a majority of people who look at/review the guides put appearance over content as far as importance goes. However, a guide should look good and be sectioned off properly. BB Code is really not that hard. Imagine doing a Powerpoint for a school/work presentation. You could have great information, and at the core, that's the most important part, but if you don't tidy up the information with sections and bullet points and don't add things such as picture, graphs, charts, etc, it's going to look like a cluttered mess. For the most part, people will enjoy reading a guide that's well formatted over a guide that's just all clutter.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Setolino » January 26, 2014 2:13pm | Report
Just as i said already on reddit, the problem of smitefire is that the most guides are stupid and contents meditation, for real that is a K.O. critierium for ME not to read further, the good thing on tiermonster is that it actually shows you what good players builded the day and if they won or lost with it.
"Wololol" -Age of Empires

Setolino
<Godlike>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 26, 2014 3:18pm | Report
The problem with Tiermonster is that they assume that all you need for success with a god with a good build. Anyone who's played the game fro more than two seconds knows better.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by pieface » January 26, 2014 3:27pm | Report
Do you think it should be harder to publish a guide? Like have it pass through a "board" of experienced people before it is released? That would recent garbage from surfacing.
#Jävla

pieface

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }