Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

What does "GG" mean to you?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » What does "GG" mean to you? 32 posts - page 3 of 4
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » November 28, 2013 5:04pm | Report
Just saying in most online gaming communities (that takes it serious), not saying gg after a game gets you reported. I don't care if you don't call gg, but how difficult is it?

Ofc it's a empty gesture, but it is the norm.

And as you said if there is someone who really played well pm him or call him out in the chat if you want to be a nice guy.

Saying gg in the post lobby before you leave isn't something you do to be a nice guy, if you bump into someone while you walk on the street saying sorry doesn't make you a nice guy. It just shows that you know how to act with common decency and that you're not an ***. Saying bg after a game is like bumping into someone and then telling them to watch where they are going :P

And yes I'm blowing this out of proportion, but the base line is there. The gg before you leave might be meaningless, but it is a gesture that is expected by most ppl and therefore you should take the time to just press 3 buttons :)
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Phil725 » November 28, 2013 7:41pm | Report
I wouldn't say the gesture is expected in a Smite postgame lobby (at least in solo queue.) It's not like every game has 10 'gg's. Rarely do I see more than half of the people say it. I understand going through the formality in a tournament like setting where you know all of the teams/players and everything though. That's the handshake line.

I'm not really arguing against saying it; it's just one of those social contract things that people expect. It just doesn't mean anything to me other than 'everyone else does this, guess I'll do it too, whatever, 'gg'.' I personally don't look at silence as any difference than a GG. There's bumping into someone on the street, and there's walking next to them. You're not a bad person if you don't acknowledge someone walking in the same direction.

Bad sportsmanship in the postgame lobby is pretty annoying, but that's a whole different story.

Phil725

Remarkable (5)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » November 29, 2013 2:45am | Report
I do it out of habit really. Even if it's a **** game, I just type 'GG WP' either way.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by rkr87 » November 29, 2013 5:38am | Report
I say ggwp at the end of every match win or lose, not because I thought the game was a goodgame, but because it shows respect and sportmanship to the other team. If the other team had a DC and/or feeder, sure the game wasn't evenly matched and they don't really stand a chance, but that doesn't mean the rest of the team didn't play well and give us a good game to the best of their ability.
Pentas:
Bakasura x2

rkr87

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Nex The Slayer » November 29, 2013 6:01am | Report
Phil725 wrote:

It means nothing to me under its normal use. If you finish a sporting event and the teams line up to shake hands and say 'good game', who cares? It's completely impersonal and an act that's basically forced upon everyone involved since you don't want to be 'that guy'. If a player voluntarily comes up to you in the parking lot afterwards, shakes your hand and says good game there, it means something. It's a real show of sportsmanship. Saying GG in the post game lobby with no context is the former scenario.

I don't say GG after a game unless I'm complimenting one player or a group of players who played well or beat me or something. I think that means more than raging at your team all game, mindlessly typing GG, then leaving a lobby.

Totally agreed.

Nex The Slayer

Prominent (37)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dark Jaw » November 29, 2013 6:12am | Report
''GG easy'' sounds like an insult to me. I've seen people saying that after a very hard game, a 50 minutes one, as an example. But ''ggwp'' at the end is totally right, even if you lost the game, it doesn't matter. It's a matter of respect.

If there is an DC or a leaver in the enemy team, I say: ''sorry for the dc'', or if there is one of those in my team, I say: ''Report x leaver, pls''. I report in both cases.

Dark Jaw

Prominent (44)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Leon Porter » November 29, 2013 11:23am | Report
I personally don't bother saying GG. People told me I have to say "GG" to "thank them for the round", that, in my opinion is BS, nobody tells ME thank you. What am I supposed to say? "Thank you for kicking my team's ***"? It's like I'm playing here, too, they can play because I'm here, I can play because they are here, there really is no need to say thanks.
Click the sig below, you can get ultimate godpack, and gems for free. PM me if you need any help with the site.

Leon Porter

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » November 29, 2013 3:03pm | Report
Dark Jaw wrote:

''GG easy'' sounds like an insult to me. I've seen people saying that after a very hard game, a 50 minutes one, as an example. But ''ggwp'' at the end is totally right, even if you lost the game, it doesn't matter. It's a matter of respect.

If there is an DC or a leaver in the enemy team, I say: ''sorry for the dc'', or if there is one of those in my team, I say: ''Report x leaver, pls''. I report in both cases.

Oh, believe me, 'gg easy' is an insult. Well, it's more so an insecure yet arrogant person trying to feel somewhat superior than someone despite having social and life issues. Well, probably is not always the case, but it does soften the blow in my opinion.

Actually, funnily enough, 'gg easy' is a bannable offence in LoL.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » November 29, 2013 3:18pm | Report
i somehow never report any leaver except they said they rage quit because it could be that they are having internet problems

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dark Jaw » November 29, 2013 3:50pm | Report
HiFromBuddha wrote:

Oh, believe me, 'gg easy' is an insult. Well, it's more so an insecure yet arrogant person trying to feel somewhat superior than someone despite having social and life issues. Well, probably is not always the case, but it does soften the blow in my opinion.

Actually, funnily enough, 'gg easy' is a bannable offence in LoL.

Is it? Guess I'll help the community... cleaning up some trash. If you know what I mean.

Dark Jaw

Prominent (44)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }