Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How did you get started in conquest?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » How did you get started in conquest? 21 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » November 13, 2015 12:39pm | Report
I was reading a reddit thread that got me thinking about how new players are introduced to conquest, and I realized I'm not really able to relate.

When I started smite i had no prior moba experience. I did the tutorials and 1 practice conquest with bots where I realized I wouldn't learn anything against bots of such a low skill level. I immediately started playing casual conquest games where I began playing first as Ra for a couple games and then Chang'e who I stuck with for quite some time in the solo lane until I had learned the basics of solo. I did do other roles here and there, but I did my best to stick to the mid and solo lanes. After a few games I got the hang of the game and started playing pretty well, I'd say I averaged about a 1.2 k/d with a 55% winrate during my initial games, I never got yelled at by better players since I played conservatively and very rarely fed more than a few deaths. I also used autobuy until I really understood how to build, so I never really got yelled for that either.

All in all, I adjusted to smite conquest pretty quickly and easily, but I tend to pick up video games very quickly and I know that's not the case for everyone. A lot of people had a really rough transition into conquest, so I'm curious what your guys' experiences were. I'm interested in better understanding what newer cq players are going through so I can relate to them on a more empathetic level.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » November 13, 2015 1:24pm | Report
Well ... I NEVER liked playing PvP games. Most of the MMORPG servers, if not all, I played on were PvE. On PvP, there are a lot of jerks and stuff.

Until I ACCIDENTALY queued for Assault on Normal : Assault. I got Zhong Kui and I went ... 13/7 ( Yes I remember my first PvP score, I'm a beast ! ) I thought he was OP but a tad bit too hard to understand.

When I noticed I was playing againts ppl I was like : " Wait... they're PEOPLE ? OMG ! Yet this is so fun ! " and I decided to play Normal : Arena and Normal : Assault even more.

Until, in a match lobby for Assault, I got Thor, one of my WORST gods until this day. That match was the ONLY match I did well on Thor, and I got a party to accept me as their friend.

The only reason I'm still here is because of this party.

Until I got to level 30, I would BARELY play with them, I mostly played with Bon ( BonTeeTee ) and Jack(some random numbers here). ~ Level 15, Bon played a God named Aphrodite, and I saw it and I was like : She looks like fun !Is she fun ?

Bon responded : She's really hard, I wouldn't recommend her for you Prism.

That kinda gave me a task to play her, and today I'm a 10 Aphrodite. Yay.

Anyway, one day, that party I mentioned previously wanted to queu a 3-man conquest ( Back in S1 ). I said " I never played conquest " ( Said this on TS ). And they responded : " Which is your best god ? " I responded " Aphrodite " " Ok, you'll be the support player. "

And so I played my first Conquest match. Until Rama Patch, since I stopped playing EXACTLY on the day it happened, I would play 80% of the time Support, being 60% Aphrodite suppport. I even played 2 matches of Leagues : Conquest with Aphrodite Support and ****ing won both. One I got carried by Old-Wa and the other I pretty much saved the day with a amazing play ( Stealing GF & FG with Love Birds. )

So Yeah that's how I started playing Conquest.

Also, I'm just here because THAT party, 8 months later that I've stopped playing SMITE, were saying to me : ****ing find a way to fix SMITE you little trash. I found a way and NOW TA~DA ! I'm here ! It's a me, Prism !
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » November 13, 2015 1:35pm | Report
I totally forgot that I played Chang'e support when I got that role until you brought up aphro support. I didn't even think of smite as a first pvp game though, that must have been an odd transition. I was mostly playing shooters like Halo and Smashbros before starting smite.

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » November 13, 2015 2:38pm | Report
well when I started playing the tutorial was on the conquest map I believe. and well I started playing that one the most with friends (going into Pvp asap as I learned that from my nephews with LoL were I was horrible in Pvp because of playing agaisnt bots for 9-10 lvls)

like really nothing special. first I played a lot of Ra while looking at which god to buy when I seteled on the mayan pantheon (only buying those gods till none were left) xbal was my first buy and I started to play ADC more until I got chaac (as duo queueing with my brother always ended up with me in another role as he mained artemis from the start because of favorite god in mythology)

and well after I couldn't buy the mayans anymore I started buying other gods till I won zhe god pack

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » November 13, 2015 6:49pm | Report
I got the godpack after I got mastery with two gods that were on free rotation and realized I wouldn't be able to play either of them again until I had enough favor. Also because I'm willing to drop 30$ for a game if it unlocks actual game content

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wayne3100 » December 16, 2015 3:59pm | Report
I realise I'm late to this thread, but I never realised Conquest isn't the most popular game mode in this game. As a League player, I'm surprised by that, since playing 5v5 on Summoner's Rift in League is standard and all other modes are either unpopular (3v3 Twisted Treeline, Dominion) or considered more casual (ARAM). However, after reading some of the Reddit posts I can see why it's the case.

Anyway, I suppose that also answers the question about how I got introduced to Conquest: previous MOBA experience. Hell, it's pretty much all I play:

Thanks to Janitsu for the signature!

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (45)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » December 16, 2015 4:59pm | Report
You should try Assault Wayne if you're feeling in the mood for a more casual game mode. I always enjoy working with weird team comps and just the overall attitude of the mode compared to the other casual ones (it's also the least toxic mode in smite).

The other modes I wouldn't recommend as much if you're a CQ fan. Arena has always felt pretty boring to me and it's hella unbalanced (Assault isn't balanced either, but working around that is part of what makes it interesting, it's designed to be unbalanced. You'd be surprised at what team comps can do well too if you play it right). Siege is basically just shorter conquest with 4 people, good if you're in a duo q since you can lane together or a 4 man q since you can be the whole team. Can also be nice if you're just looking for a short game. Joust is sort of the same in that it's great with a 3 man and below average as either a solo or duo queue. Clash is... clash lol

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » December 17, 2015 7:30am | Report
When I started to play Smite, I was playing Conquest in Co-Op only.

After a few levels, I realized that the bots were really stupid and that it will never be improved.
So, I tried against players.
I hate PvP, in any game, I just hate it, and Smite is no exception.
But since bots are so dumb (even with the AI improved recently), I guess I have to get over it.

During my first PvP conquests games, I was really upset when my team mate were coming on my lane, and even more when an expected enemy arrived during my combat.
I was like, "wtf dude, go back to your lane, I'm already here, don't you see ?".
I don't need to explain why I always had bad score ...

So, I went to Arena, and then it was way better.
Later on, since I had learned every god, I tried Assault.

Now, I'm level 30 for long moment, I have rarely played Conquest, except during free gems on FWotD.
If I would come back to Conquest, even though I view many videos about this mode, I feel I'll still be bad.
Plus, I find that 40 minutes for a single match is too long. The game starts to be interesting only after 15-20 minutes, early game is boring.

Now, with all the new gods, I realize that HiRez is balancing their gods only based on Conquest.
Since some gods are completely changing the game, these modes become less attractive.
Add the fact that most of the players only consider Assault and Arena a casual games and pure deathmatch, I feel like I should come back to Conquest.

Someday, maybe.

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by CakeSlapping » December 17, 2015 7:58am | Report
I used to play the street fighter 4 series a ton, which has given me the mindset that the best way to learn, how to play, is to play for reals.

You can spend as much time as you want practicing against bots, but when it comes down to it you're only going to learn properly playing real people, so I just dived straight in to what seemed to be the main mode and learned by myself on the go.

Seemed to work well enough for me. I got moaned at a few times, but it didnt phase me, I just made sure to learn from the mistakes I was making.

CakeSlapping

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » December 17, 2015 10:25am | Report
Oh man, Bullfrog, that's a great story...lol!

I started playing Smite after being pressured into it by my nephew. He started me out in Assault, but shortly thereafter forced me into a few conquest matches. Needless to say, I felt lost, but when it gets to the teamfight part (later game), I of course felt more comfortable.

I've only tried Solo and Duo (mostly as support). Personally, I feel I mostly fit in as either of these, or perhaps ADC...but I know support is difficult, and I hate the toxicity I get when playing with others...I just want to get along with everyone, and enjoy the game!

I'm still stressed out by the early/mid game, and the timing for things like gold fury, fire giant, mid camps, rotating, and backing. The details of mana management and "winning lane" is difficult for me because I'm used to having MP5/HP5/Salvation from Assault, and easy backing from Arena. I hardly ever play the mode unless someone else really insists when I'm teamed up.

I might consider playing Conquest more sometime, but the stars really need to align. I'd only feel comfortable playing with others that know and accept my current limitations, play in my game-playing window (usually 9-12ish Pacific), and are willing to continue helping me =P
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (395)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }