Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Copying vs Following, and other MOBA vs Smite Comparisons

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Copying vs Following, and other MOBA vs Smite Comparisons 72 posts - page 6 of 8

Poll Question:

BLARGH
ISSAC!
AZAZEL
???
EVE
EDEN
SAMSON
JUDAS
CAIN
LAZARUS
MAGDALENE
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » November 24, 2014 3:02pm | Report
@chuilin
^^^ he gets it.

In all seriousness though that is actually a great example of how "following" is done right, both LoL amd smite follow the basic idea set up by dota but change a lot around.

@TT then that argument falls in the prevously mentioned "unintentional copying" which o have already given the majority of my arguments for. In short i find something that is THIS similar to something used in the most currently played game that you are trying to rival in the market unlikely to be put up to chance. A lot of peoe at hirez play or have played a ton of league which is why i find it so questionable.
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » November 24, 2014 3:06pm | Report
How about Gigantic not having any lanes at all?

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 24, 2014 3:55pm | Report
Pentargonite wrote:

Yay :D

So because it's a global ult which deals damage to all characters it's copying LoL?
I'd understand that it's copying if it was a really original idea but something like a global ult which deals damage to all characters just isn't original as itselfs.
I mean everyone could think of an ult like that, I'd not really class it as copying, more like a standard ult of sorts (if that makes any sense).

If I could think of five twists or changes in a few seconds, I'm sure HiRez's developers can think of one single change or modification to the ultimate.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 24, 2014 3:59pm | Report

I think it was a good point. There are plenty of generic abilities that are necessary to do basic tasks such as clearing waves. Sure, small changes make these abilities significantly different, but there are bound to be similarities among certain types of abilities from different games.

The crucial point is that League and other MOBAs don't require waveclear. In fact, pushing the wave is considered a bad thing most of the time. This makes kits more varied, and it really is hard to find examples of similar abilities, because waveclear isn't needed = no need for a linear piercing skillshot.

They do exist in ADCs, but are much rarer. And you rarely, if ever, use them for waveclear in the laning phase. A better comparison would be a pushing skill, a skill designed to push waves, and there are one or two or zero among ADCs, I think, since all of them either deal no damage or get their damage pushed to **** if they hit too many targets.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 24, 2014 3:59pm | Report
Greenevers wrote:

How about Gigantic not having any lanes at all?

Sort of...vertical lanes count, I think.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Aeadar » November 25, 2014 4:43pm | Report
I'd like to pop in and say that the new Thanatos skin is not unique.

That said, that would be a case of following, not copying. Even if I think he should get smaller and weaker-looking as he levels, since he falls off.

Aeadar

Memorable (10)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » November 26, 2014 4:55am | Report
Aeadar wrote:

I'd like to pop in and say that the new Thanatos skin is not unique.

That said, that would be a case of following, not copying. Even if I think he should get smaller and weaker-looking as he levels, since he falls off.

See, but just because one MOBA thought of a skin that changes throughout the game, that doesn't mean no other MOBA should do it to, just because it's 'taken'.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » November 26, 2014 5:18am | Report
That is what aedar is saying, there is nothing wrong with following something like that.
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Aeadar » November 26, 2014 2:33pm | Report
All4Games wrote:

That is what aedar is saying, there is nothing wrong with following something like that.

He really did misunderstand me.

Aeadar

Memorable (10)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » November 26, 2014 2:34pm | Report
As usual.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }