Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Copying vs Following, and other MOBA vs Smite Comparisons

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Copying vs Following, and other MOBA vs Smite Comparisons 72 posts - page 1 of 8

Poll Question:

BLARGH
ISSAC!
AZAZEL
???
EVE
EDEN
SAMSON
JUDAS
CAIN
LAZARUS
MAGDALENE
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 22, 2014 8:03pm | Report
This is a thread for MOBA comparisons blah blah blah

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 22, 2014 8:07pm | Report
dacoqrs wrote:

Just going back to earlier conversation, listen to this:

If Smite does a 'god/champ reveal type thingy' that ISN'T what League of Legends does, then it's 'bad' 'below the industry standards' and anyone who tries to stand up for it is just 'sticking up for Hi-Rez'

If Smite WERE to do a god reveal that followed League of Legends, then there would be complaints that Smite is copying off of League of Legends.

You can say that's now how it would go down at all, but that's ********, cause when there was a slight chance that in the Arachne rework, her ult was slightly and possibly similar to Elise's Rappel, there was a whole *****torm about it. And trust me, the LoL players on this here Smite forum have flipped out numerous times about "copying" from LoL.

There's a difference between copying and following.

Copying is something like another website copying Smitefire's design to the letter. From font, to main page format, to topics, forum organization, guide BBC system, mod ranks, rep system, etc.

Following is like someone saw Smitefire, thought it was cool, and made a website that also had a guide making system with a forum.

If Smite followed League's example and made better god reveals, I wouldn't be complaining one bit.

It's an objective statement to say that most other MOBAs have more in-depth god reveals. Considering how going in-depth is a good thing, when its also concise and useful, I can say it's below a certain standard.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 22, 2014 8:11pm | Report
Also objective: Smite gos reveals NOT EXPLAINING OR SHOWING PASSIVES. But that's just them doing their own thing, aye? It is totes not below a certain standard.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » November 22, 2014 8:37pm | Report
Are you deciding on the name for a baby? If so, I recommend ???

I don't particularly like the use of "Copying versus Following" in your title, as it seems a bit loaded. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a comparison thread at its core.

Anyways, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the difference between copying and following, but you seem to be arguing about incompetence rather than imitation. I'll admit I think HiRez puts too much focus on lore and too little focus on gameplay in their reveals, but I don't think it's really necessary to basically give a comprehensive guide to every god. They should obviously know quite a bit about how the god plays or otherwise it couldn't possibly be balanced properly and they should show the god in action (it is a reveal, after all). But I think we, the players, should learn how to play the gods ourselves. Not individually, but as a community. I think it's interesting how people use gods differently over time as their true advantages come to light, and, to me, that's part of the fun in a game - learning and improving.

I'm also asking anyone who comments on this thread to refrain from throwing **** at each other as many of the members here have been lately. Instead of calling any game "terrible," please discuss what you'd like to see from other games implemented in Smite, and vice-versa.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Swampmist1142 » November 22, 2014 9:20pm | Report
Just popping in to say, I respect the Rebirth reference in the pool. Samson FTW!

In all seriousness, it's currently too late for me to be giving opinions. But, I will say that smite has good basics, there's a reason that we've all played it, and continued to watch it, for so long.

Swampmist1142

Remarkable (8)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 22, 2014 11:35pm | Report
dacoqrs wrote:

Perhaps Smite doesn't want god reveals like Leagues'? Maybe Smite wants to have it's own thing?

Personally I enjoy how Smite doesn't spoonfeed you everything the god can do: You have the game, go figure it out yourself.

Perhaps it isn't spoonfeeding. Perhaps its how this game doesn't have much depth to go into. You can't say that any god is realistically difficult to learn how to play. All skillshots in this game aren't realistically that difficult, either.

I mean, yeah, I get that some people like intuitive things, but what's the harm in including some depth? Adding depth to god reveals can only be a good thing; it certainly isn't a BAD thing. League's god reveals go in-depth enough, but if you aren't convinced that there isn't more to it, and that there isn't room to learn intuitively, see this play. (If you're wondering, this is a play slowed down to 33% normal speed.)

HolyPudding wrote:

If smite were to "rip off" something from league, it would end up different. Why?

THEY'RE DIFFERENT GAMES.

For example skillshots in league tend to be much stronger than those in Smite because Smite is entirely based around them. If you were to introduce Rengar's bola strike into smite it'd be stupidly op due to the 80% slow, because in smite it would have no downsides. They have different mechanics so the same ability will often work differently.

Reghar's slow is a DECAYING slow. 80% slow decaying over 2.5 seconds is essentially the same as a 32% slow for 2.5 seconds. It is by no means overpowered in Smite or League, ESPECIALLY compared to-

Scylla's AoE 2.25 sec root/cripple.
Ullr's 1.4 second stun
Anubis' 2 second stun
Freya's 2 second suppress
Nemesis's 40% 2 sec slow
Fenrir's 1 sec stun
Mercury's Special Delivery

I can go on. But anyone who's played both games will universally agree that CC in League is weaker as a whole than Smite, in both general and specific examples. (Oh, and Reghar's is a single-target skillshot, that is WAY harder to hit than every single example above. The projectile speed is sluggish compared to Smite's. Watch the video on the wiki to see. Meanwhile, in Smite, things hit super fast/go through minions/hit in a huge AoE.)

The difference between a decaying slow and a nondecaying one is the same difference between a root and a slow. The difference is enormous.

And I can disprove your statement with another example: Karthus ult. Nu Wa ult. Functionally identical, the only difference is slapping on CC immunity onto Nu Wa's. They are only different in a way that Smite added on. If they removed the CC immunity, it would be a carbon-clone skill.

Seriously. Functionally identical. Used to secure kills from global range and pretty much nothing else. They certainly are not different.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 22, 2014 11:39pm | Report

Are you deciding on the name for a baby? If so, I recommend ???

I don't particularly like the use of "Copying versus Following" in your title, as it seems a bit loaded. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a comparison thread at its core.

Anyways, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the difference between copying and following, but you seem to be arguing about incompetence rather than imitation. I'll admit I think HiRez puts too much focus on lore and too little focus on gameplay in their reveals, but I don't think it's really necessary to basically give a comprehensive guide to every god. They should obviously know quite a bit about how the god plays or otherwise it couldn't possibly be balanced properly and they should show the god in action (it is a reveal, after all). But I think we, the players, should learn how to play the gods ourselves. Not individually, but as a community. I think it's interesting how people use gods differently over time as their true advantages come to light, and, to me, that's part of the fun in a game - learning and improving.

I'm also asking anyone who comments on this thread to refrain from throwing **** at each other as many of the members here have been lately. Instead of calling any game "terrible," please discuss what you'd like to see from other games implemented in Smite, and vice-versa.

Binding of Issac, Rebirth names of characters, actually. Although, the character in question might be a baby. (The game is horrifying: You get an item called a Dried Baby.) But if I had a kid, it would be hilarious to name him ???.

I can see your point, but I'd like to add that League doesn't give a guide, exactly. More like guidelines. There's a lot of depth to the game not covered in the reveals, the reveals are more like a glimpse into possibilities rather than a demonstration.

Er, what I'm trying to say is, don't feel like League's reveals are like a full-blown guide or lesson. There's a lot more outside of it, that players are supposed to learn on their own; otherwise, there wouldn't be so many guides on MOBAfire, eh?

My problem with Smite's reveals are that they don't seem have any depth at all.

And of course we won't fight, will we?

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HolyPudding » November 23, 2014 1:39am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Binding of Issac, Rebirth names of characters, actually. Although, the character in question might be a baby. (The game is horrifying: You get an item called a Dried Baby.) But if I had a kid, it would be hilarious to name him ???.

I can see your point, but I'd like to add that League doesn't give a guide, exactly. More like guidelines. There's a lot of depth to the game not covered in the reveals, the reveals are more like a glimpse into possibilities rather than a demonstration.

Er, what I'm trying to say is, don't feel like League's reveals are like a full-blown guide or lesson. There's a lot more outside of it, that players are supposed to learn on their own; otherwise, there wouldn't be so many guides on MOBAfire, eh?

My problem with Smite's reveals are that they don't seem have any depth at all.

And of course we won't fight, will we?

Why do you always post in sets of 2 or 3? I'm kind of curious.
"We are none but friends

All born to the same forum

Why not live in peace?"

HolyPudding

Established (19)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » November 23, 2014 2:48am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

And I can disprove your statement with another example: Karthus ult. Nu Wa ult. Functionally identical, the only difference is slapping on CC immunity onto Nu Wa's. They are only different in a way that Smite added on. If they removed the CC immunity, it would be a carbon-clone skill.

Seriously. Functionally identical. Used to secure kills from global range and pretty much nothing else. They certainly are not different.

Soooo are you saying that Nu Wa's ult is copying or following Karthus' ult?
If you mean Nu Wa's ult is copying Karthus', what did would they have to do to make it 'following'?

I mean, they'd have to rework the whole ult right?

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » November 23, 2014 3:10am | Report
they probebly should either way because the ult doesn't fit in smite, its less effective because you can't do a quick HP check on the enemy you're trying to finish off, Hirez in beta marketed smite to be all skill shots and this ult is a direct slap in the face to those who originally helped smite grow big.

i would say its a copy because the minor changes like cc immunity on it and lower CD aren't different enough to the point where i would say it's simply following something that is proven as good.

i honestly dont think there is a way to NOT make this ult a copy in smite but a "following", the ult just doesn't fit in smite, it takes new wa out of the action by sending her to space but unlike thors ult doesn't allow you to send your self back into the action, its more so i do this so i deal some more damage and am safe for a few seconds. it doesn't make for ingaging gameplay which hirez has proven they want.
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }