Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Are there useless Gods?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Are there useless Gods? 15 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by IDNeon » June 29, 2020 11:02am | Report
I had a lot of trouble with Ares. Looking back on it I'm not sure if because I didnt understand his role very well.

But I also remember somewhere that Ares is a pretty old God and not competitive against newer releases?

Is anyone doing very well with Ares? If so does he play like an aggressor role pretty well or how are you playing him?

IDNeon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 29, 2020 11:07am | Report
He had a ton of damage potential when Spear of the Magus had protection reduction. That said, he's partially suited to Solo, and partially suited to Support, but isn't anywhere near top tier in either role.

If he can get ahead, or at least stay even and get items online, he can be tanky and deal a good amount of damage, IF he's good at connecting efficiently with his shackles. And at max rank, his flames do a lot of tick damage. But he's a sustained damage god, not a burst one.

His biggest threat is of course his ultimate. If you pick up Relic Dagger and Blink Rune, you can easily outwork Purification Beads, though that advantage is still matchup-dependent. Many gods' ultimates give them some CC-immunity frames, allowing them to get out of his pull easily as long as they use their ultimate as a counter.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Big Damage » June 29, 2020 11:07am | Report
The only god I would consider useless is Loki as of the current patch, if he was reworked later this year that would change that. Aside from Loki I say there are no gods that are completely useless.

Different gods fill different niche's and some gods are more powerful than others due to buffs or itemisation. Ares for example can really struggle if he doesn't get ahead by playing aggressive in the early game, or you could have been playing against a comp that Ares struggles to play into.

Big Damage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (37)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by IDNeon » June 29, 2020 12:40pm | Report
Well I wasnt playing him high sustain thats for sure. But also wasn't playing him well against Carry.

My early game put me way behind. In solo if I did solo him...I kinda forget. It would have been before I figured out some tricks, timings and positions in solo.

Sad....

How advantageous is late game high sustain when all you have is 1 ability that does not so amazing dot damage?

IDNeon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kriega1 » June 29, 2020 12:51pm | Report
IDNeon wrote:

How advantageous is late game high sustain when all you have is 1 ability that does not so amazing dot damage?

Which god you talking about?
Kriega1

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (143)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by IDNeon » June 29, 2020 12:54pm | Report
Kriega1 wrote:

Which god you talking about?

Ares in this case. I wanted to try him again more skillfully.

Trying to determine if he's expected to do enough damage with just his fire and chains?

IDNeon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kriega1 » June 29, 2020 12:56pm | Report
IDNeon wrote:

Ares in this case. I wanted to try him again more skillfully.

Trying to determine if he's expected to do enough damage with just his fire and chains?

Yes, he gets power from his passive, just build items like Sovereignty, Void Stone, relic dagger or witchblade etc...

Can pick up one damage item later in your build (Ethereal, Reaver, Magus).
Kriega1

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (143)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by IDNeon » June 29, 2020 1:03pm | Report
I've been looking for auras that include power. I whipped up an all armor-aura build and he came out to only 300ish power on the site eliteownage.

Dunno how accurate that is. At work so limited 😏

IDNeon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 29, 2020 1:10pm | Report
I wouldn't worry too much about auras, though the power is nice due to his scaling. But if you can just build in a bit of pen, e.g. maybe an early Stone of Binding (situationally) and Void Stone a bit later (which is also aura, of course), then you'll have a good base of damage, at least to squishies. Consider also getting Gem of Isolation unless you're easily stunned out of your flames, as it offers a ton of control.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by IDNeon » June 29, 2020 2:54pm | Report
Do any passives count as auras? The way some people talk about them in the ares guide makes me wonder...

IDNeon

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }