Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Which is a better support?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Which is a better support? 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kaishinamon » January 9, 2014 9:51am | Report
Guan Yu or Sun Wukong

I know guardians are better supports, but i have seen both Guan Yu and Sun Wukong used in the support role. I have been playing both i find i get more kills with Guan Yu which i know i shouldn't as support, he seems harder to kill and his 3 shreds protections setting up kills. As Sun Wukong i escape loads and have more control to save team mates.

Just want to know some opinions.

Kaishinamon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dark Jaw » January 9, 2014 10:02am | Report
Sobek, Athena and Bacchus are, undoubtably, the best supports in the game.

Packed with high CC, Mobility, and tankiness. All of them can built some damage and be sucessful in the game. The problem I see with Guan Yu is, it's just feels weird to play him Full Tank, not mentioning that his only real CC is on his Ultimate. Sun Wukong is the same problem: His true CC lies on his dash. What if it is a bad engage? Then He'll have to ult to get away? Sounds wrong to me.

Dark Jaw

Prominent (44)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kaishinamon » January 9, 2014 10:24am | Report
Just seen a lot of warrior supports in the weekend tournaments, especially Guan Yu

Kaishinamon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ryvvik » January 9, 2014 10:37am | Report
Between Guan and Sun, I think Sun is a better support due to his CC abilities and clear.

If you don't take your staff attack too high, you can smack the minions low and set up for a quick clear the carry (thus ensuring they [and you with watchers] get last hits). Then you have a knock up and stun which can be used to initiate or peel. On top of that, his ult and duplicate can be good for pushing a tower.

Ryvvik

Remarkable (7)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » January 9, 2014 3:03pm | Report
Guan Yu is probably the second best support in the game (after Sobek).

He got a slow (not really that important though ofc).
He got a heal, a pretty damned decent one as well (when charged) and a protections buff.
He got protections shredding for your enemies, so your carry will be dealing true damage most of the time.
And last but not least he got a HORSE for gods sake! (which is awesome for chasing, and most importantly for engaging and ganking when you rotate for mid camps etc).

Sun Wukong works, as someone said he got tons of CC, but he isn't as good as one might think.

He is pretty poop late game, at least I've never seen anyone managing to pull of a good late game with him as support (including myself). But his early game is pretty sick, you can easily set up 5+ kills in the first 10 min just by laning unless the enemy team starts hardcore turteling (if they do just roam and set up kills in mid etc). :P
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Porz21 » January 14, 2014 3:37am | Report
Although imo you'll have to practice the Guan Yu Support a lot, since it doesn't really feel natural to play him tank. Also early game you're really squishy. You may also have a remarkably more damage than the other tanks as Guan but no stun whatsoever. I'd assume he'd go well with an Anhur, or Neith so you have some control over your lane. If you play with an Apollo or AMC you'll be pushed into your tower quickly and have to rely on the jungler to help you.

As for Sun Wukong (I haven't tried him as support tho), his initiate can be very strong and with him you can easily tower dive for ages (if you ult and let your decoy run in first ofc) then follow up with the tiger form and go for the kill, which is the safest and earliest towerdive possible I can think of. Also you can get out perfectly with the bull form against an Sobek.

So those two are good possibilities for playing support with and are viable for ranked i guess, if your duo partner, in Guans case, picks a controling adc.

Porz21

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Setolino » January 22, 2014 4:37pm | Report
My Little Support best of List:

Athena
Sobek
Guan
Ymir
Sun
Odin
Bacchus
Ares
"Wololol" -Age of Empires

Setolino
<Godlike>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » January 22, 2014 4:41pm | Report
Two different kinds of supports. Sun Wukong is a disruptor who's good for initiating early game, and peeling throughout the game.

Guan Yu is not nearly as aggressive. He has a heal that mitigates poke, so he encourages trading and that's it. However, post-5 he is much more aggressive than sun wukong, ensuring a kill on all but cupid and apollo (the others just don't have ENOUGH of an escape, neith, anhur, and xbal included). His ult will rot them, and then he has a dash and a DPS assault to match. His downside is in late game, he's tied to his initiate, then does nothing for his team, while sun wukong can Bull straight through them, into a knockup.

IMO, Sun wukong is a better support levels 1-4, and in teamfights. Guan Yu is better for the rest of laning phase, and for picking people off. He's worse in teamfights UNLESS you have literally no other initiation whatsoever, as sun wukong still has minor trouble initiating with his bull transformation from a decent distance away.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 22, 2014 6:32pm | Report
I think Guan Yu is an often underestimate support. I kind of have the exact opposite of Raventhor's outlook.

In Laning Phase: Pre-5, not so good. He has good sustain for early levels but no peeling ability, as well as some mana problem. The good thing is that he can hold a lane decently by himself and is extremely tanky while doing so, thanks to the free protections from his Taolu Assault.

Post-5, Guan becomes a huge threat, being able to single-handedly secure kills for his carry, even without the jungler, thanks to the sheer mobility of his horse. His biggest problem, getting close the the enemy, is now resolved.

In Roaming Phase: You are an extremely good roamer, not only because you can take jungle camps without help, but because you synergize well with all lanes. You won't have the best ganks like with a roaming Ymir, but your ganks are decent enough. Your healing is also useful.

Late Game, with enough CDR, your teamfight potential is insane. Why?

You are probably the only god who can conceivably use his ultimate twice in one fight. I have done so before.

Teamfight Reason 1

Teamfight Reason 2

Teamfight Reason 3

Downsides

Sorry about the lengthiness.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 22, 2014 7:12pm | Report
Don't forget Guan Yu's 1 is an AOE cooldown reduction for your team as well. That's effectively 20 seconds of cooldown reduction every minute or so, if you're spamming your 1 constantly and hitting.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }