Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Good Music Thread

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » The Good Music Thread 43 posts - page 4 of 5
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » July 3, 2014 11:22pm | Report
You wanna hear my opinion about good and bad music? You got it.

WARNING: Condescending, pretentious douchiness is incoming big time. Don't take it to heart.

I don't consider good music to be only rock and bad music to be the rest of the genres. I myself enjoy reggae music a lot, as well as some ethnic and world music from time to time. Just because my favorite genre of music is grunge/rock, I didn't mean that it's the only good genre out there. By all means I don't mean music like metal is bad, but I myself find it boring. I won't ever compare Metallica to Justin Biber. There is some metal music which I like, for example Unforgiven II, but the bad kind of metal - death metal, is just... boring. I can't seem to enjoy a guy screaming directly "HUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHUHAAAA!!!!" to the mic.

Let me tell you a little something about bad music. When I say things about "pop music", I'm talking solely on modern pop music. Back in their day, The Beatles and Steve Wonder were considered pop music, but they made good music. When I say pop music I mean those annoying @ss songs that all sound the same and have no meaning. I'm talking about Mrs. Gaga, half a dollar, Niki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull... W/E. I'm not an expert to pop artists, so that really sums up all of the pop artists I know. I don't know most of their songs, but god help me, the people my age hear them so much and all of their songs sound the same and are about the same things and are always just bad.

You wanna know why this music is bad? You wanna know why I'm mad about the modern music industry? It's because the music industry has became a f***ing industry. Music shouldn't be about making money. Art shouldn't be about making money. Art & music are about contributing to the world creativity and beauty and culture.

But when you start making music out of the angel to make money, when you start making music as part of your job, it becomes twisted and wrong.

Look, I'm not saying that Nirvana or Led Zeppelin didn't have a sh*t load of money, they did. But they didn't make music because they wanted to get rich. They made music because that's what they liked to do and wanted to share it with the world. The money is just a "reward" that the world gives to the artist or as I like to call it a "side effect" of making music.

Let me tell you a thing about pop music. Do you know why most of the songs in that genre talk about sex? Do you know why there are also 50 bimbos rubbing their butts on the rapper singing the song? It's because that way, when you hear the song without watching the clip, you get a conditioning of a good feeling because subconsciously your mind remembers the clip and seeing all these hot chicks and that way you feel better when you hear the song.

We, as human beings, have sexual impulses. These songs and clips are engineered to arouse those impulses and make us recall those arousals when we hear those songs, thus making us "feel better". It's all scientific, it's all been proven.

But, words are just words. And when they come from me, they probably won't mean as much. If you didn't know by now, I'm a freaking huge fan of Porcupine Tree, which is a progressive/psychedelic rock band. And they have a song which, correct me if I'm not wrong after listening to the lyrics, is, among the rest, about modern music.

Now, there are other pop genres other than dance and rap music. I consider trances and dub steps in that pop genre as well.

I don't revolted by trance/dub step music as I do with dance/rap music, but I certainly don't like that genre.

Trances are just boring, in my eyes. It's the same rhythm, with the same melody and the same structure of songs throughout all the trance songs. You have the build-up, then the drop, then the hype/peak, and then it just repeats. And it's the same way to all of them.

Yes, you can say the same thing about rock music, that you have like two verses, and then the chorus, then another verse which is a little bit different from the other previous two, and then the chorus again, and that's about it.

But, ******** it, I don't find other music to be as annoyingly repetitive than trance music. All of these songs sound the same and feel the same.

The only time when I hear trance/dub step music is at parties, and then I'm okay with that because I like to dance and can easily force myself to dance to the sound of this music. But, for fun and in the mid-day, outside of parties, I would never ever ever in a million years hear dub step/trance music for fun.

Oh, and BTW, dub step, to me, sounds like someone got into a scrapyard parking lot of old used cars, took the first 5 spare parts he saw, put them in a blender with trance music and a couple of ecstasy and pressed all of the buttons simultaneously.

What I am trying to clarify and achieve here, is not to change your music taste. I have found out long ago that trying to force someone into changing their taste and so called "enlightening" them to understand what real music is, is useless and a waste of efforts. You like what you like, and I like what I like.

But, what I do want to achieve is that you understand the root of pop music/culture and understand what is the interest of the "pop artists" (IMO I'm being more of an artist when I go to the bathroom than the music they produce) and why their songs and clips the way they are and how meaningless and greedy their songs are.

I am sorry if I offended you, your music taste / artists you like and your feeling towards music, but this is my true, real opinion about pop music.

My Guides

If you want me to review your guide, or need help and tips, make sure to P.M me. I'll be happy to do so.

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » July 3, 2014 11:29pm | Report
Devampi wrote:

I need to say we have some people (more then I expected) that are listening to metal XD

Metal ftw.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » July 4, 2014 12:14am | Report
Jordenito wrote:

There is some metal music which I like, for example Unforgiven II, but the bad kind of metal - death metal, is just... boring. I can't seem to enjoy a guy screaming directly "HUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHUHAAAA!!!!" to the mic.

I get that point I don't like death metal too. I mostly listen to power metal (dat guitar solo's) because I hate the screaming and grunging in most styles

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » July 4, 2014 12:26am | Report
Jordenito wrote:

someone got into a scrapyard parking lot of old used cars, took the first 5 spare parts he saw, put them in a blender with trance music and a couple of ecstasy and pressed all of the buttons

Really? To me, it sounds more like two Transformers doing battle.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » July 4, 2014 4:54am | Report
Sounds more like they ran out of toilet paper and all they could find was a Brillo Pad.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Janitsu » July 4, 2014 5:11am | Report
@Jordenito

plz take Shakira off that list :D Her music varies from pure Latino music and Latino pop to love ballads and such :D She also made rock music :p

But imo good songs are like old songs (70's to 90's mostly) and rock/metal/love songs

^this is probably my current favourite song

Janitsu

Prominent (25)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » July 4, 2014 8:10am | Report

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Thegenuinebuzz » July 4, 2014 8:52am | Report
Jordenito, That's your opinion. You cannot create a thread defining "good music" and then make it opinion based.
TheGenuineBuzz
Warrior
Main Diamond 3 LoL (quit) +
Guide maker

Thegenuinebuzz

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Chiulin » July 4, 2014 10:12am | Report
Devampi wrote:

I get that point I don't like death metal too. I mostly listen to power metal (dat guitar solo's) because I hate the screaming and grunging in most styles

Death metal is an acquired taste. It's my favorite genre, but it was something that came over time. I started by listening to old rock bands, then started listening to modern rock, then more post hardcore rock like Escape the Fate, and eventually to death metal, like Born of Osiris. Now that I'm hooked I can't even stand to listen to any of the music I used to listen too. xD

Chiulin

Prominent (31)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » July 4, 2014 10:40am | Report
Chiulin wrote:

Death metal is an acquired taste. It's my favorite genre, but it was something that came over time. I started by listening to old rock bands, then started listening to modern rock, then more post hardcore rock like Escape the Fate, and eventually to death metal, like Born of Osiris. Now that I'm hooked I can't even stand to listen to any of the music I used to listen too. xD

That's possible. I also don't like it because of the guitar (in power metal it is way better). And a good guitar is almost a must by me (or I'm listening too hardstyle)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }