Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Good Music Thread

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » The Good Music Thread 43 posts - page 1 of 5
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » June 20, 2014 12:48pm | Report
Disclaimer - This thread is solely and only about good, quality music, and its purpose is to share that kind of music among people. I am not here to argue about what is "good music" and how it's actually an oxymoron because music tastes, because music is very close to my heart and I'm sorry, but if you are a fan of pop music, this thread isn't for you and you shouldn't argue about it/talk about it.

So, I've been to a Soundgarden concert the other day, and I felt the need to share some bands that I like and to discover new ones thanks to you. So here are my favorites and my opinion on them. The goal of this thread is for people to discover new bands and good music that they have never heard about/of.

Nirvana - While there are a few songs that aren't pleasant to read, they are so outnumbered and outshined by their other songs, that are just masterpieces. "Come As You Are", "In Bloom", "Lithium", their covers to "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" and "The Man Who Sold The World", and of course, the unquestionable "Smells Like Teen Spirit" are just the cherry on top of that amazing grunge cake band.

Peal Jam - Fun, exciting, melodic and just plain beautiful grunge/music. More calm and less heavy than Nirvana, and extremely beautiful music to listen to. Their album "Ten" contains endless masterpieces.

Soundgarden - Somewhere in between Pearl Jam & Nirvana - grunge as well. A lot of loud music, but also a lot of calm ballads and beautiful songs. The one that stands out the most is "Black Hole Sun".

Porcupine Tree - One of the most deep and meaningful bands in our days. Beautiful psychedelic rock with songs so unique and special like you have never heard before. I'd recommend "Blackest Eyes" and "Prodigal" for starters.

Pink Floyd - If you don't know them, you've got to. They were pioneers at their time, and still are, with their unique music and meanings behind their ever so deep lyrics. Their album "Dark Side of the Moon" is one of the most beautiful works ever written.

The Heavy - Classic, fun rock, that is very varied and colorful. They are always fun to listen to and give you a good mood. I'd recommend "The Lonesome Road" and 'Can't Play Dead".

Led Zeppelin - The classic rock 'n' roll band. You will never find more upbeat and fun rock 'n' roll music out there. A pure must for any rock 'n' roll fan.

Antarctic Monkeys - Very melodic and fun alternative rock. I remember last year, when they weren't so popular and their song "Do I Wanna Know" had only about 5m views, now has about 80m.

Muse - Alternative Rock. You really need to be picky here. While there are a lot of mediocre songs this band has created, there are about 10 songs that are just so beautiful. "Starlight", "Knights of Cydonia", "Supermassive Black Hole", "Uprising", and more.

There are also other bands that I don't really have the time to expand about, such as Foo Fighters, Radiohead, King Crimson, John Petrucci and more.

And now... SHARE THE MUSIC!

My Guides

If you want me to review your guide, or need help and tips, make sure to P.M me. I'll be happy to do so.

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » June 20, 2014 12:57pm | Report
Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin are all great. Other than those four, I've either never listened to the others you've listed, or wasn't big into them.

As for your definition of "good music", I'd have to know what types of music you're into before I could recommend much. It's apparent you like grunge, but I don't listen to much grunge, so I can't really recommend any of that. Your listing of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin show that you probably show you're into some more classic rock. As for that, at the top of my head, if you haven't listened to them, I would recommend Blue Oyster Cult ("Don't Fear the Reaper") and the Rolling Stones ("Paint it Black"). Both listed songs are great listens, and "Don't Fear the Reaper" is one of my favorite songs.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » June 20, 2014 1:09pm | Report
Yeah, I mainly listen to Rock and its variants, but not things like hard rock or metal... grunge/psychedelic/calssic/alternative - things like that. I do know The Stones, they actually preformed in my country two weeks ago, but the cheapest ticket cost around 250$, so I didn't want to spend so much money.

I also forgot to mention Dire Straits.

My Guides

If you want me to review your guide, or need help and tips, make sure to P.M me. I'll be happy to do so.

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » June 20, 2014 1:54pm | Report
The Smiths - This may sound cheesy but they shaped my own personality in a lot of ways, and their music is really amazing. Some of their songs are "Barbarism Begins at Home", which is about domestic abuse, "This Charming Man", which is about being gay in the 80's, "How Soon is Now?", which is about social awkwardness and the need for acceptance, and finally "Asleep", which is like the saddest song you'll ever hear. Definitely my favorite band.

Nirvana - Who doesn't love Nirvana? Easily my second favorite band.

Morrissey - He's the former Smiths singer, but now has a solo career. He's not as good as he once was, but some great songs I'd recommend are "Everyday is like Sunday", "The Loop", "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get", and "Suedehead".

The Cure - The singer may look weird as ****, but their music is amazing. "The Love Cats", "Lovesong", "Just Like Heaven", and "Why Can't I Be You?" Are all great songs.

Josh Ritter - A lesser-known singer, but still very talented. A few songs I suggest are "Good Man", "New Lover, and "Girl in the War". They all sound like really average poppy song titles, but they aren't.

Tears for Fears - "Head over Heels", "Everybody Wants To Rule The World", and "Mad World", are all really good songs. Gary Jules did an excellent cover of "Mad World" that's definitely worth a listen.
P.S. Donnie Darko.

Radiohead - Particularly "Creep".

Patti Smith - Particularly "Because the Night".

And now just a few artists/bands I listen to regularly:

Sandie Shaw, Lorde, Danger Mouse, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Death Cab For Cutie, Hole, Apparat, Michael Jackson, Queen, and The Smashing Pumpkins.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » June 20, 2014 2:02pm | Report
Pentargonite wrote:

My plaulist now is
Calvin Harris - Summer
David Guetta & Showtek - Bad ft. Vassy
Avicii - You Make Me (Avicii by Avicii)
Ed Sheeran - I See Fire
Eminem - Not Afraid
Bastille - Pompeii
Bastille - Things we lost in the fire
It's like my relax and play smite music :P

I also like Queen but it doesn't fit in this playlist xD

Penta, to get offended please, but this is what I was talking about. This is the good music thread, and believe me, I hate how douchy I sound saying this, but read the disclaimer. Pop music (that includes rap, pop, dance, dub-step, whatever you want to call it) don't belong here.

My Guides

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » June 20, 2014 2:34pm | Report
Jordenito wrote:

Penta, to get offended please, but this is what I was talking about. This is the good music thread, and believe me, I hate how douchy I sound saying this, but read the disclaimer. Pop music (that includes rap, pop, dance, dub-step, whatever you want to call it) don't belong here.

K then -_-
Call it the rock thread then or something -_-
Deleted it :P

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Janitsu » June 20, 2014 4:54pm | Report
What about downtempo?

Janitsu

Prominent (25)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » June 21, 2014 1:50am | Report
Well for me good music is power metal and alternative.

like: Nightwish and sabaton. some albums avenged sevenfold (the non grunge albums).

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » June 21, 2014 4:22am | Report
I don't listen to good music.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » June 21, 2014 6:20am | Report
HiFromBuddha wrote:

I don't listen to good music.

And no one can prevent you from doing so.

My Guides

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }