Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The King Is Coming

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » News » The King Is Coming 27 posts - page 3 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 8, 2019 11:06pm | Report
I've read some of Salvatore's Drizzt stuff. Also Butcher's Codex Alera (though I will admit I'm a bigger fan of his Dresden series). The Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow books are all good, though the original in the series is my favorite. Definitely enjoyed Clines' Ex- series.

Personal preference of some of the best for me include:
  • Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series (10 long books)

• Anything Brandon Sanderson (my favorite author overall)

• Will Wight's The Traveler's Gate trilogy and more recently his Cradle series...easy reads, but super entertaining

• Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy and the Lightbringer series

• Abercrombie stuff
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by silentshell » June 8, 2019 11:21pm | Report
Branmuffin17 wrote:

I've read some of Salvatore's Drizzt stuff. Also Butcher's Codex Alera (though I will admit I'm a bigger fan of his Dresden series). The Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow books are all good, though the original in the series is my favorite. Definitely enjoyed Clines' Ex- series.

Personal preference of some of the best for me include:
  • Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series (10 long books)

• Will Wight's The Traveler's Gate trilogy and more recently his Cradle series...easy reads, but super entertaining

• Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy and the Lightbringer series

• Abercrombie stuff

Yeah, ender's game I only got around to reading a couple of the books and Ender's game was by far one of my favorite sci fi novels growing up. I also read the Piers Anthony Incarnations of Immortality series which I think would be sort of equal parts sci fi/fantasy/mythology.

The Night Angel series was a really good series.

oooo...forgot one of my favorite fantasy not technically a stand alone(but the other novels are just all different characters unrelated to each other I think) called the Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans.

Nightfall/the return of Nightfall Mickey Zucker Reichert

A big chunk of the Terry Brooks Shannara books and also the Magic Kingdom for Sale series.

Read quite a bit of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

A good chunk of Star Wars novels from after the events in Star Wars.

I liked what I got through on the Wizard for Hire series a lot better too, but enjoyed the Codex.

A couple of my other favorites are the Garrett Files and Black Company novels by Glen Cook.

If I really sat down and thought about it I could probably go on and on about this stuff. lol. I miss reading so much but I just don't have an off switch and really get obsessed with reading to the point where I don't really do anything else unless I HAVE to. I just don't have time to let myself be that way at all. lol.

silentshell

Remarkable (5)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 9, 2019 12:30am | Report
Read a few Shannara books, but got a bit tired of them. Magic Kingdom for Sale, I think I only read the first? I don't remember, it's been a while.

Used to read a lot of Piers, but haven't touched his stuff in years.

I read a couple of the Sword of Truth, and I need to get back and read through that one. It's in my list.

Read Star Wars stuff a while ago...a lot of the Rogue Squadron stuff.

The ending of Black Company killed me. I had to reread that ending a few times.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wayne3100 » June 9, 2019 2:54am | Report
Branmuffin17 wrote:
I read the Mistborn Trilogy at the beginning of the year, that's him right?

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (45)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by silentshell » June 9, 2019 7:20am | Report
Branmuffin17 wrote:

Read a few Shannara books, but got a bit tired of them. Magic Kingdom for Sale, I think I only read the first? I don't remember, it's been a while.

Used to read a lot of Piers, but haven't touched his stuff in years.

I read a couple of the Sword of Truth, and I need to get back and read through that one. It's in my list.

Read Star Wars stuff a while ago...a lot of the Rogue Squadron stuff.

The ending of Black Company killed me. I had to reread that ending a few times.

Yeah, Black Company got me too. that whole series did. It was hard not to get attached to characters and every time I did...I really loved that series but you're right that ending to the series...that was definitely one of those series that I was reading every second that I had an opportunity.

while I am thinking about it I believe I also missed out on the last book of ex-heroes and just got so busy I forgot I never finished it.

silentshell

Remarkable (5)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Stuke99 » June 9, 2019 9:04am | Report
I think the only thing I'm worried about is how he's going to fit into the lore and why the gods are just going to give him the throne. The candidates for Olympus are amazing and had proved themselves to be competent leaders:

King Arthur: An already beloved King, he and Merlin's helped to defeat Jormundgandr from completing Ragnarok. It would have made perfect sense for him to take the throne after Camelot was destroyed by Jourm, plus Merlin isn't the type of person to lead anyways so it would have gone to Arthur.

Bellona: She, along with Pele, ended Hades plan to rebuild to the world in his image using Ragnarok.

Hera: After Bellona was done, Hera had to put the pieces back together on the broken world some of the gods destroyed. She might have been hidden for the majority of the war but she did her part to rebuild.

Whoever is writing this better come up with a damn good reason why Olorun is just going to become ruler of Olympus because the worst thing a writer can do is be lazy. No one wants a lazy writer making a lazy story.

Stuke99
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 9, 2019 10:05am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

I read the Mistborn Trilogy at the beginning of the year, that's him right?

That is correct! Have you read anything else by him?
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }