Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Tips for getting better?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Tips for getting better? 36 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by hooflung » May 22, 2014 5:48pm | Report
Typically, I am a miniatures player, (Warhammer, Warmachine/Hordes, and things of that nature,) with a lot of tournament play. However, due to having less time out of the house to play these games I recently started playing smite again, when I find the half hour - hour of time. (I played a little bit last year.) At this point in time I am level 12. I usually feel confident going into a game, then I make a mistake and get constantly told that I am garbage, or that I just flat our suck. Heck, I've been sworn at several times as well. I did ignore it at first, however it is starting to get discouraging as I want to be at least decent and enjoy the game, with out having people be jerks to me nearly every other game.

So, that leads me to the question. What are some things I can do to get better?

As this is a pretty broad question, I will state that I do not have an ultimate god pack, but I am familiar the feel of each game mode. Typically I like (trying) to play Ao Kuang, Ra, Hun Batz, Sobek, and Hades (If this leads itself to any help)

Any help is much, much appreciated!

hooflung

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Heartwire » May 23, 2014 11:49am | Report
Honestly, practice for most part.
The people that yell at you etc are just morons.
Instead of trying to give something constructive they rage and expect you to do better with that information.

Most of the time, the people that are actually acting like morons are the ones that are bad players.
They do have mentoring programs here, which might be something you want to look in to.
From what I can tell, there are a lot of skilled players here who are offering their help.
I suggest hopping over to that part of this forums.

Other than that, just ignore the people trying to put you down, It's a downside of online gaming. but nothing you can do about it.
Even good players get **** like that flung at them everyday.

Heartwire

Established (16)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by WatchfulShadow » May 24, 2014 7:55am | Report
Play a lot.

Play with friends, because playing with randoms won't help you past the basics, for the most part. Plenty of people from here will play with you.

Watch good players on streams/YouTube etc.

You could play perfectly and still get yelled at by the idiots that plague this game. Or because they rushed in and died, they'll blame you for not saving them etc, so just ignore them.

WatchfulShadow

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FaTaLiTyFiReFly » May 24, 2014 9:20pm | Report
Just keep playing! :)

I fail as a level 28 A LOT (when playing ranged carries)

If you don't play you can't get better!

Also I play jungle practice sometimes just to see what is the quickest way to kill a god.

But basic tip:
If you are tank, be aggressive and try and take the shots by standing between them and your carry
If you are mage, in arena keep the waves clear, in lanes try to harass a bit while keeping creeps at bay.
If you are carry, idk I suck at carry

Gl, add me , my friends (4stack) won't yell , they all suck :D (jk)
CyborgBoompie. (IGN)
why does wukong look so much different now?

FaTaLiTyFiReFly

Prominent (25)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by hooflung » May 25, 2014 12:54pm | Report
Thank you for the responses everyone! I apologize for the delay in replying. I assume with practicing, just work in random groups then?
I did not know about the mentoring part of the forums! Thank you!
Fatal; Sounds great! My name is the same on here as it is in game.

hooflung

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Aphnex » May 25, 2014 4:51pm | Report
Know your enemies.

And by that, I don't mean know them personally, know their motives, blah blah blah. I mean study and understand each god. You don't necessarily have to be good with all of them, but the better the understanding you do have of them, the more you know what to do against them.

If that's basic knowledge, then know you're playing ground. Arena, Conquest, Assault, Siege, etc. Know your role, know what to do, how to do it, and what it takes for it to be done (for example, team comp). Prior in-game knowledge comes first. Executing it with expertise comes naturally, understand?

Aphnex

Prominent (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wafflebob » May 28, 2014 2:08am | Report
As a fellow miniatures player here's my HUGE piece of advice. Just like miniatures games, SMITE likes to trick simple players that just follow the rules. Pay careful attention to each gods abilities. A god may say it's a guardian but it's abilities are perfect for a mage. Some god may look like a hunter but it's just over flowing with guardian crowd control. PAY ATTENTION TO STATS AND ABILITIES. I don't recommend finding a class you like, but finding some weird combo you like that'll suit your playstyle and throw people off.

Wafflebob

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FaTaLiTyFiReFly » May 28, 2014 3:33am | Report
Also out of TF2 experience... Kill EVERYONE you meet.
why does wukong look so much different now?

FaTaLiTyFiReFly

Prominent (25)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » May 28, 2014 3:48am | Report
Try reading the Smite wiki, or check out the databases and general guides

Study what kind of damage each god does, what cc does they have, how does their skills go on (in a line, a cone, etc.), and ponder on the synergy between gods.

I am, truthfully, an average player who rocks only with Bastet. But i read a lot, a lot, a lot, so as to be an asset to my team.

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HardcorePwno » October 6, 2014 8:01am | Report
The most effective way to get better is that you should play with friends that are good in the game (level 30 would be suitable) and you should probably used voice chat or Skype with them! They will help you with your God's build and they will instruct you on where to go and what do in early-mid-late game! Trust me I tried this before and they helped me a lot and I became much better after training with friends!!

I hope your getting better and flying through the levels! ;)

HardcorePwno

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }