Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

"Some" general question about Moba (Smite in this case)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » "Some" general question about Moba (Smite in this case) 28 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Critical Cut » October 21, 2012 2:03pm | Report
Hi Moba-Com,

i got not a lot of experience in Moba games.
Played LoL for 6 month but switched to Smite now (like it a lot lot lot more ^^) and waiting for Dota2 to become open.

So, my questions are about the math of damage/protection/penetration.

How does the damage work?
example: i buy +40 damage, enemy doesnt have protection
How much more damage do i hit for?

How does the protection work?
example: i buy +40 protection
How much less damage do i get?

How does the damage vs. protection work?
example: i got 40 damage, enemy got 40 protection
Since there is penetration stuff, am i guessing right that protection doesnt cancel damage completly?
If yes, how much of my damage comes trough?

penetration negates protection completly?
example: i got +20 penetration, enemy got +20 protection
Does it behave like the enemy has no added protection?
nagte? back to normal?

An last: Is there a difference between physical and magical in this calculations?
i mean ofc: physical protection aint gonna affect magical damage...
but are those somehow different in how they behave?

i didnt found a site that could answer me those questions, so i would be very glad if someone can enlighten me ^^

-CC

Critical Cut

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Odd Arcade » October 21, 2012 3:34pm | Report
Ill just redirected Asmoday to this thread. He likes this kind of stuff :')

Odd Arcade
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Westighouse » October 21, 2012 4:10pm | Report
There is a ton of things here, so Im just going to edit this and add my text in a different color as to not miss anything and so that all answers are clear.

Critical Cut wrote:

Hi Moba-Com,

i got not a lot of experience in Moba games.
Played LoL for 6 month but switched to Smite now (like it a lot lot lot more ^^) and waiting for Dota2 to become open.

Well, welcome to Smite and this community. Glad to have you around!

So, my questions are about the math of damage/protection/penetration.

How does the damage work?
example: i buy +40 damage, enemy doesnt have protection
How much more damage do i hit for?

That is something that I personally do not have the answer for. Im sure there is a formula that someone might know and if they do please feel free to post it as I have been looking for this as well. Im not good at math, at all. It is literally another language to me so I can not persaonlly sit down and figure it out. The game is also in Closed Beta, so these things have and will change over time.

How does the protection work?
example: i buy +40 protection
How much less damage do i get?

Same thing as above, I really wish I could help you on this but I just dont have the answers that I feel good enough about to give.

How does the damage vs. protection work?
example: i got 40 damage, enemy got 40 protection
Since there is penetration stuff, am i guessing right that protection doesnt cancel damage completly?
If yes, how much of my damage comes trough?

If they have 40 magic resis and you buy Obsidian Shard then you will lower the 40 resis by 45% of the total. If you have Spear of the Magus and the Obsidian Shard you will lower it by a flat 30 first, and then 45% of the remaining. As above, how does your damage change? I am not sure again on that. I have also looked for this answer with no avail.

penetration negates protection completly?
example: i got +20 penetration, enemy got +20 protection
Does it behave like the enemy has no added protection?
nagte? back to normal?

You would get the full damage going through, as the flat pen will negate the resis.

An last: Is there a difference between physical and magical in this calculations?
i mean ofc: physical protection aint gonna affect magical damage...
but are those somehow different in how they behave?

I do not think so, tho physical damage is at an advantage because the natural resis of physical is only 10 where as the magical is 30. Most Physical goes rely on auto attacks a but more than the mages who rely on landing all skills in a giant burst combo for the kill. I do not think, nor have seen physical damage and magical damage act differently with the same items besides physical being able to bit for a bit more because of the mentioned above.

i didnt found a site that could answer me those questions, so i would be very glad if someone can enlighten me ^^

I am right there with you, I have not been able to find the answer either.

-CC

Westighouse

Renowned (102)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Critical Cut » October 21, 2012 4:45pm | Report
Wow, that was fast, didnt expect that ^^
Ty to you both for that fast answer
(+Rep that)

penetration works as i tought then... but really sad HiRez didnt release some info about that. (...yet hopefully)

I got some intel on the lol-community tough:
something like, if you buy a +40 protection item and the enemy has +40 damage item, then its like 40/(100+40)=0.2857142..., so about 28% less damage taken, w/o the base-stats ofc. Dont know if this applies to smite or other Moba....

-CC

Critical Cut

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Odd Arcade » October 21, 2012 4:59pm | Report
Wish I could add to this Asmoday aswell, but i literally have the same knowledge of this as you. Ill pass this thread onto the Smite forums for you Critical and see if any of the devs have anything they can add :)

Odd Arcade
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Westighouse » October 21, 2012 5:08pm | Report
Quoted:

Wish I could add to this Asmoday aswell, but i literally have the same knowledge of this as you. Ill pass this thread onto the Smite forums for you Critical and see if any of the devs have anything they can add :)

I am currently in contact 2 Hi rez members VIA email right now, little side project of mine.
When I get an email back Ill see if I cant milk Gabriel or Todd for information about this, and any plans for the future of changing it.

Westighouse

Renowned (102)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Critical Cut » October 25, 2012 9:40am | Report
Still no news heh? *sadface*

You guys know the stat-caps?
like on movespeed/attackspeed and so on?

-CC

Critical Cut

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Westighouse » October 25, 2012 12:25pm | Report
No, they are sort of ignoring that question. Leads me to think they want to keep it under wraps for now or they are still messing with that system of damage and defense.

Move speed cap is 720 or 730, one of the two. Basically unreachable unless you plan your entire team to hit it.

Attack speed doesnt have a cap, it is just effected by diminishing returns.

Westighouse

Renowned (102)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by kine » November 9, 2012 10:11pm | Report
do you happen to know at what attack speed diminishing returns starts? or how much % as until that point?

kine

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Westighouse » November 9, 2012 11:36pm | Report
As soon as you buy an attack speed item, the next one is effected.

Think of it this way.
You start with 0% of the 100% max.

Now you buy a 50% attack speed item and now you have 50% of the 100% max
This leaves you with 50% left to 100%
Now you buy that same item again, you gain 25% because you only had 50% left and you bought 50% of the remaining amount.

So now its 75%
Buy the item once more of 50% and you had 25% left, so its 50% of the 25% leaving you with 12.5% increase.

It is impossible to hit 100%, unless it is what is called "Flat" stat

Look at these:
Obsidian Shard
Spear of the Magus

Notice now Spear is 30 points not a percentage. This is flat stat, and with that you can get the "100%"

Westighouse

Renowned (102)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }