Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Tired ov angry teammates... :(

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Mentoring » Tired ov angry teammates... :( 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by sux2Byou » May 1, 2019 1:17am | Report
What's up all?

I just want to say first off, I'm not a gamer. Everything was a little overwhelming at first but I'm catching on. I know ADC is Attack Damage Carry, but I have no idea what that means.

Usually I play ASSAULT in a party with my girl. (She is MUCH better than I am) At least once per night we play, someone gets really upset with how I'm playing and reports me for feeding.

Truth is, I just have no idea what I'm doing, or supposed to be doing. I have watched videos and tutorials and read through pages and pages ov builds, but I still don't understand what it all means after the math is done. I recently started looking at the last tab in the "ITEMS" store/page that shows a bar ov how your build stacks up. It's been helpful, but I still feed like crazy.

The only way I don't feed is if I go ALL health and protections, or just stay out ov combat and try to farm minions to catch up levels while avoiding other players like plague.

I have been playing for about 3 years, off and on. No idea what my LEVEL or RANK is. Bronze 3? But I really want to get better at this game. If anyone is down to walk me through some game play and strategy, and explain how the items work off each other, I would greatly appreciate it!

I live Virgina USA, so east coast time. Best time for me to get on is midnight or so. I have a headset so i can talk in game, or maybe use discord, I saw mention about that. Whatever's clever, I just really need to improve. Smite screen name is same sux2Byou. Thanks!!

sux2Byou

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 1, 2019 2:09am | Report
So I won't really be able to help you in game wise because im returning to the game myself, however I can give you some advise

My first recommendation is probably to switch away from assault for a while. Because you get a random god you will be focussing more on learning the god then some more basic stuff.
The advise point that this is part of is to pick a class/god you like (1 or 2 gods). Then you start playing them and after you get the hang of how the god works (abilities)
With that out of the way you will start learning game mechanics a bit better when to go aggressive, defensive, etc.
Also can you focus more on item building and understanding the class of god you're playing.

I can probably give you more tips etc if i have more information (like class you normally play), however this isnprobably something that will give you a solid start of starting to better understand the game or at least the class of characters you're playing

Also remember everyone has a bad game in a while and some people will always complain. Don't take it to personal and if you find it annoying just mute them.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » May 1, 2019 11:20am | Report
Hi Sux,

No problem not being a gamer, and super cool you're looking to improve.

To answer your first question, ADC (Attack Damage Carry) is a term originally used by earlier MOBA style games. League of Legends' definition is as follows: "ADC (Attack Damage Carry) is an archaic term used to refer to a champion that deals strong, continuous damage with their basic attacks and scales with attack-related stats - i.e. attack damage, critical strike chance and attack speed." Basically, an ADC is one who focuses on their basic attack damage rather than ability damage. Most hunters and some assassins like Kali and Bakasura fall into this category with that definition, but in most respects in SMITE, it's used for the duo-lane damage god (usually hunters). The "carry" term is something that refers to the late game, when their damage is so high they can carry their team to victory.

So you're mostly playing Assault...is this because your girlfriend (wife?) prefers this mode? If so, then perhaps I can do just a bit to help you in this mode, but it'll require some reading. It's my Overarching Assault Guide. It gives an overview with tips and considerations, along with chapters for each class, and build directions to help you out.

I checked out your profile and your girl's profile, and I see what you mean. Assault is a unique mode, and it makes it pretty difficult unless you both build well and play well, because you can't go back anywhere to heal up.

Understand that builds are only one aspect of gameplay effectiveness. I'm sure you know this. Good builds obviously have benefits over bad ones, whether by providing more functional protections for tanks, or better offensive output for the damaging gods, etc.

But a good player can still do well with a bad build, whereas a skill-lacking player is going to struggle even with a great build.

So more than builds (even though you don't want to give up on learning how to build), it's more important to figure out how to be more effective with your gameplay.

So, an easier mode to start with is probably Arena, and as you and your girl are both pretty new to the game (at least with regard to total games played), I think that's a good mode. The base is close, and if you get hurt but don't die, you can run back and heal up quickly. In addition, as Devampi said, you get to pick your god here. You don't have to worry about trying to figure out a new god every time you play a new match. As he said, pick a couple of gods, and just play one of those until you're fully comfortable with their kit.

Choose one of the tanky god types...from the Warrior or Guardian class, and I suggest choosing one with some mobility. By this I mean a god with a leap/jump or a dash of some type. This allows you to have a way to escape if things aren't looking good. And one VERY KEY point here as you're learning is...SAVE that mobility...don't use it unless you're using it to escape, at least until you're more comfortable.

And then just build tanky, so you don't die too quickly. I can give you a couple of god suggestions and a universal build that should work to start.

Hercules: He's a warrior with a heal AND a short dash. That heal actually increases if you activate it (the 3rd ability) as you start to take damage. Save the dash (the 1st ability) for escape purposes, but keep in mind, if you hit an enemy with it, you push them with you...so as you get better, you can locate yourself behind an enemy and push them back toward your team to help get a kill.

Universal Herc Build: Reinforced Greaves, Hide of the Urchin, Breastplate of Valor, Oni Hunter's Garb, Spirit Robe, Shield of Regrowth. This gives you a lot of protections, maxes your CDR (cooldown reduction on abilities), lots of additional damage mitigation, and some additional movement speed from Regrowth when you activate your heal.

Kumbhakarna: He's a guardian with a normal dash (his 1st ability) and another short dash (his ultimate). He's got a ton of CC (crowd control) to lock down enemies, and is perfect when build tanky.

Universal ***bha Build: Reinforced Shoes, Hide of the Urchin, Breastplate of Valor, Oni Hunter's Garb, Spirit Robe, Void Stone (or Midgardian Mail). Yes, this is almost identical to the Herc build. Mostly same effect, but he doesn't use Regrowth well since he doesn't have a self heal. Instead, I chose Void Stone here for more magical protection that also helps magical teammates deal more damage, or you can alternatively choose Midgardian Mail here if you're facing a lot of basic attackers, as it will slow their attack and move speed when they attack you.

Also...I have The Overarching Arena Guide if you'd care to read that, as there ARE strategies and considerations to be aware of.

Anyway, as you get more familiar with these specific gods, you'll naturally start to learn what you can and can't do in a given situation. That comes with time (and patience). You need to be aware of where the enemy is, where your teammates are, and not jump into a fight if you're outnumbered. You need to save your abilities for when they're going to be most effective, and again, I'll emphasize for you that it's probably best that you save those mobility abilities to escape...don't just use it because it's there, save it to help protect yourself until you develop a better sense of gameplay.

Hope this helps. I'm not sure my gameplay times will align with yours, as you're East coast and I'm West, and I play usually starting around 9-10pm Pacific. But you're welcome to add me (Muffinman17), and if you see me on, it's possible I could play a bit with you and sort of coach or something. We use the SmiteFire Discord channel for chatting in-game.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by sux2Byou » May 2, 2019 10:21pm | Report
Yo Devampi,

I prefer ranged gods simply because ov range, but I find myself standing just out ov range to hit. I have the "ruler" turned on to try and help me stay in range, but i get tunnel vision trying to lead my target and forget to check my range. I guess in my mind, if it were a real arrow/whatever, the trajectory should still hit. I have to remind myself every time.

As far as preferred god, I'll be honest. I like pretty much all mages and hunters. Close combat gets me killed quickly if I don't have an amazing healer. Feels like I run in, drop a couple attacks, get stuck, then die. With assassins, sometimes I might get a kill or assist.

Also, I don't mind the people who get upset. I'm concerned with the people who have a losing day in life, come home to blow off some steam, then have my playing bringing down the team. I want to give THEM a win.

sux2Byou

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by sux2Byou » May 2, 2019 11:01pm | Report
Hey Branmuffin,

I'm about to read that assault guide after I thank you for your reply. Yeah, my fiance likes assault because she doesn't have to think about her god. If she gets to choose, it's Artemis or Sol, that's it. Assault makes her branch out.

I also really like assault for the same reason. I have the gods I'm better with, like; Raijin and Cernnunos. But if not for assault I would have never picked up melee gods, ever. Still don't like them. I'm actively trying to improve there, because if I can stay alive in a near constant combat position, that should help me stay alive in any position, right?

As far as using abilities to get away, CHECK! Haha, in fact, that's pretty much the only time I can get away. If I got a good team and the enemy is on the run, I will use the ability to get in, but I usually regret it.

I will probably read the arena guide at a later time. I def need to have a better comprehension ov the strategies involved with the different game modes. I'm sure there is some overlap.

Yeah, keeping track ov where everybody is needs attention. Sometimes I'm the only one on the field and don't realize it for a bit. But I also get lost on the map and run into the enemy tower for safety.

I def think my biggest issue is "fight IQ". But I'm kinda dense and don't put together what items they have counter items I have, so what worked last time or earlier in game doesn't work now. I'm just like, I need more penetration/power/attack speed/crit whatever. I just recently realized buying protection from magic when their whole team is physical is pointless. Now I look at if an item has a useless effect, and find something ...better?

Cali??? I'll be coming back to Cali in the Fall. :D :D But yeah, 9pm your time IS midnight here. I'm gonna add you to my SMITE. First I'm gonna read that guide. Thanks for all the help!

sux2Byou

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 3, 2019 12:00am | Report
I also use ruler or well the line as it doesn't go past basic range. After that you can also add a bracket to see what you're hitting in the same menu.

I already thought the reason you played assault was because one of you couldn't really pick (a problem i have myself).
Remember that assassins are the hardest class to play because of not being tanky so i wouldn't recommend them until you became more understanding of fights.

Probably a good thing to find out if you like using basics more or abilities and then do the arena or any mode you can pick who to play.

Also becoming more aware even though smite can be quite mesmerising is probably a big step in the right direction. Running into the ebemy tower instead of your own is quite a big mistake.
Maybe making the minimap bigger or using one of the colour blind modes could help make the enemy-ally colours better.

Also I understand you want to give people a better time when playing smite however those people also have to understand that a game like smite doesn't really care about it, because matchmaking will try to put you with the same skill level people and combine it with assault people won't win as easily because of comps being messed up by autogeneration and people never playing the god they get.

Also another slight note. Why do you right ov instead of "of"?

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by sux2Byou » May 3, 2019 8:18pm | Report
Devampi,

Yeah I have the red "in range" bracket. For the longest, I thought if they were in the bracket I was hitting. I wasn't....

Assassins were my least fav until I played Thanatos and got a kill. From there I have gotten less sucky with them.

As far as basic or ability attacks go, it's whatever. I don't care as long as I can hit them. if using basic attacks, I go attack speed. I'm bound to hit something eventually. Ability attacks have a variable delay so some gods I have a lot ov trouble with targeting.

I'm going to try the color blind mode. I would love better clearaty on what I'm looking at. And the challenge ov mismatched teams makes assault more appealing. I like overcoming difficulty. Makes the victory that much sweeter. Like, when your team is down by 10 kills and 2 towers, then you hard push to a win. No idea what causes that to happen. someone changed their build(s)..?

OV... I choose to spell "of" as "ov" for a couple reasons. First, it's phonetic. Pronouncing "of" with a distinct F sound is kinda funny. Comes out "uf". And second, I like to add a little chaos to the world. Mostly the second one... LOKI!!

sux2Byou

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 4, 2019 3:08am | Report
a comeback like that could have been a mistake made by the other players

Looking at the bracket if it light up you will hit them, unless the move. Either you missed them cause movign target or we're talking about different brackets.

Also (even though it's not from loki it's pretty sutable for loki quote) I see I see.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by sux2Byou » May 8, 2019 8:44pm | Report
Wasn't really a Loki quote... I just like to yell LOKI anytime I encounter mischief, chaos, or other "harmless fun". I'm a huge fan ov the actual Loki from myth.

Also, I have been trying single click attacking instead ov holding the button. It has helped.

As far as the bracket, It seems like if I'm aiming at a minion, it will pretty much always hit. When shooting at gods, a slight miss, even if they are in the bracket, still misses. I have started transitioning to melee gods since their aim doesn't need to be as precise. I finally did over 10k dmg in a game. YAY! Still weak sauce...

I have been tinkering with mouse sensitivity. Thinking that may be my issue. If the scroll is slow enough for my eyes to follow, I can't spin around to track opponents. If I can quickly spin to follow them, I overshoot a lot. I'm trying to remember to look down when they are near to see if that makes the camera rotate faster without increasing sensitivity. Here's to hoping!

sux2Byou

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 8, 2019 10:48pm | Report
Could indeed be teh bracket is throwing you of a bit. I have noticed it for my own basics

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }