Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

LF Mentor for PC

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Mentoring » LF Mentor for PC 18 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by silentshell » July 16, 2019 11:39am | Report
Pengruen wrote:

Hi I'm Pengruen (IGN Pengrün),

I have around a years worth of experience in LoL as a support main. I expected to have success in the same role when I transferred over, but my play style is different in Smite. I'm not quite sure which role is right for me as I have very little experience in Smite (I played on Xbox for around 2 months with some friends.) so i vaguely know the basics of skills and what not for a few gods.

I'm trying to get into Conquest as Arena doesn't interest me since it seems like a big FFA anyway. The only god that I am sure I'm comfortable playing is Skadi.

If anyone is interested in helping me out that would be super cool. Please go ahead and DM me on here or add me through my discord Pengrün#1896. If you have just any basic tips on how to find a good role as well feel free to add to the thread.

Thank you for reading.

If you look through Bran's Conquest guide and try to apply what you read there and still aren't having luck then I would suggest that you maybe commit to running in joust/clash for awhile to at least get somewhat of the mechanics down. Conquest is still way different from either of those modes, but it will at least give you experience in smite committing to a role and trying to fill it(groups can be a ****shoot if you can't find someone here or don't end up making some in game friends you get comfortable with).

Going hand in hand with this, for example you said you are running with skadi. If you haven't done so already go through the different guides for her. If you are committed to just going full conquest no matter what find guides with up votes and a lot of comments that are updated for the current season. A lot of the regulars here are really good about putting their input AND the reasons for their choices along with strategies at times. Sometimes you might not get much from a guide, but gain a lot just from the comments.

If you are open to learning through Joust/Clash, you can look through character guides for those modes as well. Some guides will say all modes so aside from some possible tweaking you can get help with from the discussions in the guides you should be ok with running and you could always come back to this thread for any questions you maybe didn't ask or didn't get answered in the guide discussions.

It sounds like you have no interest in Arena, and i can understand that, but it can still be pretty useful in learning targeting/aiming, some fight strategies, and just a certain comfort level with any character.

Even though I am sure most consider the AI trash you can also do the conquest practice.

the only modes i really do are arena and some joust(except when i run a bit with the Smitefire clan), but I wouldn't mind running with you in either of those modes if you are on and go either of those routes at times while getting up to speed. I normally work nights but will be on randomly through the week dependent on sleep schedule and on my nights off. My smite handle is silentshell.

Once you get to a certain level of competency with the game you could even do assault matches to get introduced to random characters if you don't have any that particularly catch your eye.

silentshell

Remarkable (5)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » July 16, 2019 11:58am | Report
Alright, so you're still relatively new, based on account level. This helps, because we can tell you that the competition you face is unlikely to be very knowledgeable either...and that's important to know, because things the Conq guide tells you...they may or may not be that helpful in an individual match, even if you're doing everything you should be doing.

Although roles are now assigned, you still get people assigned to Support going with a non-Support god (with a non-Support build) and not even going to the Duo lane, for example. This can make things a bit frustrating, but I'll say just have patience, try to do what you know you're supposed to, and develop good habits.

You also don't want to fully lock yourself into 1-2 roles. You eventually need to expand and at least have a general understanding of how to play each role, because some games you might not get the roles you request.

You also don't want to just learn one god for each role. You might find yourself in Jungle, but someone has chosen him before you for an off-meta ADC, or for the Solo lane. Having at least a couple of comfortable options means even if one of them is picked, you have a backup.

Although it's important to play gods you enjoy, one of the general things I'd suggest would be to choose gods that have an escape of some sort (dash, leap, etc.). This can make things a bit more forgiving when you get into trouble. As such, although you're enjoying Olorun, I'd consider him one of the more difficult gods to play as ADC, as he doesn't have a true escape. But you also mentioned Anhur, Hachiman, and Chernobog, all of which have an escape, so that's fine.

You're fine going with a standard build at your level. You want to eventually get to a point where you know how to custom build, but for now, just following a build from here (as long as it's good) should be sufficient.

Counter-building is usually more important for the Support, Jungler, and Solo laner, with the ADC and Mid making minor adjustments to their builds when needed. You've got the first part of it down...when facing physical damage, getting physical protections, etc. But more specific counter-building is knowing how many gods have healing in their kit and so you build Divine Ruin, Brawler's Beat Stick or Pestilence, for example, to reduce their healing effectiveness. It's building Midgardian Mail, Witchblade, or Hide of the Nemean Lion to counter high attack-speed basic-attackers. Things like that.

So you're having issues with early game laning/farming, and rotation / mid-game (where should you be). I might venture a guess that your initial experience with SMITE was the Arena mode or something. You're probably more comfortable in a teamfight, but when you have to play more cautiously, pick your times, and focus more on farming, you're much less sure of yourself.

This is just something you're going to have to teach yourself to a degree. You might want to watch some gameplay videos of pros to get a better feel. Check out BaRRaCCuDDa's YouTube channel for ADC. Watch how he focuses more on the minion wave than anything at the beginning. That's your main focus. Clear the minions, because that's your source of XP and gold, which is what you need to level and purchase items. Without that farm, you're nothing.

For Jungle, probably just suggest watching Weak3n's gameplay. Pay attention to his rotations, and when he chooses to attack, and when to just rotate and farm.

As a final question, how about your individual prowess...do you consider yourself a regular gamer? How are your mechanics? Are you good with quick twitch gameplay (e.g. first person shooters)?
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sixstarfool101 » July 16, 2019 1:26pm | Report
I am ok with FPs I'm not great but I'm not completely worthless. I play a very wide variety of games on both PC and console mostly mmo variety on PC but have dedicated that time to smite last 3 months. You would be correct to assume I mainly only played arena for a while when I started as I didnt know conquest roles and all of that but your guide took good care of that informing me. I do spend a lot of time watching twitch and mixer and Facebook streams of smite play though not much of the pro teams though I did watch the entire MSI last week.

Sixstarfool101

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » July 16, 2019 2:12pm | Report
I think the most important part for you to take out of watching pros is how they play the early/mid game. I'm talking less about pro teams (and how the view is more like League of Legends view), and more about their own gameplay videos (and seeing things from the player's viewpoint).

Specific things to note at any point in time, say for ADC role:
  • Their positioning / distance to the enemy when minions are there
  • Their positioning / distance to the enemy when minions aren't there
  • Their god of choice (and the kit strengths/weaknesses)
  • Their Support (and can you recognize gods that are more aggressive or passive?)
  • Enemy gods
  • When they go for their buffs or trying to steal enemy buffs
  • How they level their abilities, and when they choose to use their abilities (and on what target)
  • When they decide to back
  • How aggressive they are at different health levels compared to the enemy
  • How they play when their Jungler is looking to gank
  • How they play when one of the duo enemies has to back and you have a potential 2 v 1
  • How they play and where they position themselves when their own Support has to back and it's a 1 v 2
  • Where they place their wards (are you warding, by the way?)
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sixstarfool101 » July 16, 2019 4:33pm | Report
Ok this are all great pointers to look at thanks for the pointers on that. I occasionally ward mostly when I play as support and jungle and I remember to a lot more when I keep getting ganked. The big thing with wards for me is to train my brain to hear that ding for enemy spotted and adjust accordingly. I tend to get so focused on what's in front of me trying to position correctly and keep myself alive or diving for a kill that I dont notice the jungle has come out and is bearing down on me for a quick gank. I think also i could use some work on remembering and using my relics correctly. Typically beads and aegis I'll add as an ADC.

Sixstarfool101

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » July 17, 2019 12:53am | Report
So I'm going to fill up on bran's comment and clear up some things as bran has thrown in a lot of long term goals and mostly will fall under the category knowledge instead of mechanics. His second comment I don't have much more to say on as that is spot on (the what to watch for in streams/vids. also yes PoV is better as team games are more for looking at macroplay or teamcompositions.)

Looking how you are to focussed on what is in front of you you're probably forgetting your mini-map in general. while wards ping looking at the minimap is still a crucial mechanical skill. This can help you and your team as knowing where someone is can allow you to go more aggressive since your 2v2 can't become a surprise 2v3. Also for jungle the map is super important as you can maybe read what the enemy jungle will be planning to do or where he will try to gank.

Sadly I'm from EU and slightly relearning the game after a hiatus so can't be of much help during your game times.

on to brans huge comment.

Branmuffin17 wrote:

Although roles are now assigned, you still get people assigned to Support going with a non-Support god (with a non-Support build) and not even going to the Duo lane, for example. This can make things a bit frustrating, but I'll say just have patience, try to do what you know you're supposed to, and develop good habits.

Good habits include knowing when to disengage or engage and other normal mechanics (like the mentioned farming) keeping distance.

Branmuffin17 wrote:

You also don't want to fully lock yourself into 1-2 roles. You eventually need to expand and at least have a general understanding of how to play each role, because some games you might not get the roles you request.

this is a long term goal so don;t focus to much on it go by the 2 you have now and then expand it likely the way of support as 3rd (since autofill will put you there).
Another reason is that for jungle having the knowledge for other lanes will help out tremendously in foiling plans.

Branmuffin17 wrote:

You also don't want to just learn one god for each role. You might find yourself in Jungle, but someone has chosen him before you for an off-meta ADC, or for the Solo lane. Having at least a couple of comfortable options means even if one of them is picked, you have a backup.

Another long term goal. even longer than the role one depending on your priorities (as you can stick to adc jungle and just take the hit from that fill game, however not really recommended).
For this piece of advise I would suggest a pool of 3 gods of the same type to learn the role and expanding to other types after feeling confident in the role. (with different types I mean AA focused hunters vs ability focused hunters same goes for jungles)

the reason for this is to remove focus from havign to worry about builds or abilities so you can focus on the role more.

Branmuffin17 wrote:

Although it's important to play gods you enjoy, one of the general things I'd suggest would be to choose gods that have an escape of some sort (dash, leap, etc.). This can make things a bit more forgiving when you get into trouble. As such, although you're enjoying Olorun, I'd consider him one of the more difficult gods to play as ADC, as he doesn't have a true escape. But you also mentioned Anhur, Hachiman, and Chernobog, all of which have an escape, so that's fine.

I agree. Another point is jungles that only have one movement ability I would suggest to leave it as an escape instead of an engage.
You can move this once you recognize situations you can get away with it as engage (jungle) or if you're positioning has improved and you rely less on needing the escape button (adc)

Branmuffin17 wrote:

You're fine going with a standard build at your level. You want to eventually get to a point where you know how to custom build, but for now, just following a build from here (as long as it's good) should be sufficient.

You can always read up on the items once in a while and slowly get an understanding of what they do and why people buy them. you can even simplify the items for yourself lie Pestilence magic protections & antiheal pickup etc. or which items are 'worthless' (so niche you won;t grab them quickly unless you have something specific in mind)
However a long term goal.

Branmuffin17 wrote:

Counter-building is usually more important for the Support, Jungler, and Solo laner, with the ADC and Mid making minor adjustments to their builds when needed. You've got the first part of it down...when facing physical damage, getting physical protections, etc. But more specific counter-building is knowing how many gods have healing in their kit and so you build Divine Ruin, Brawler's Beat Stick or Pestilence, for example, to reduce their healing effectiveness. It's building Midgardian Mail, Witchblade, or Hide of the Nemean Lion to counter high attack-speed basic-attackers. Things like that.

insert what I jsut said again XD.

Branmuffin17 wrote:

So you're having issues with early game laning/farming, and rotation / mid-game (where should you be). I might venture a guess that your initial experience with SMITE was the Arena mode or something. You're probably more comfortable in a teamfight, but when you have to play more cautiously, pick your times, and focus more on farming, you're much less sure of yourself.

Farming is a great skill to learn, however smite is one of the forgiving in not last hitting minions (compared to the other mobas only HotS is more forgiving). I would actually focus more on early game resource (mostly mana management) and wave control (trying not to get pushed in if your lane allows it). And like said in the stream comments focus on your space and enemy spaces so you don;t get to much poke/engaged on (health management)
if you do get pushed under tower focus the minions the tower hasn't shot yet as they still provide gold (towers robbing yah gold)

Branmuffin17 wrote:

For Jungle, probably just suggest watching Weak3n's gameplay. Pay attention to his rotations, and when he chooses to attack, and when to just rotate and farm.

On the attack point for assassins choosing when to engage is quite important and can end up in you being able to do your damage or get blown up.

Branmuffin17 wrote:

As a final question, how about your individual prowess...do you consider yourself a regular gamer? How are your mechanics? Are you good with quick twitch gameplay (e.g. first person shooters)?

This is your biggest short term goal. don't forget to adjust interface, controls and sensitivity to your liking as much as it's possible.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sixstarfool101 » July 17, 2019 10:27am | Report
Tha I you so much for your tips and help I really appreciate anything I can get!

Sixstarfool101

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » July 18, 2019 6:29am | Report
if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask them

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }