Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Datamining Debate

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » The Datamining Debate 17 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » November 11, 2015 11:33pm | Report
So currently there's this debate regarding the morality of datamining smite and also the morality of making money off of datamining. I'd say the most important two resources for this debate are Krett's youtube video (below) and smitedataming's response to said video (also below).

smite datamining's defense

As it is, there are two points of contention in this argument.
1) Should people datamine smite?
2) Should people make a profit datamining smite?

As for part 1, I'm in-between. In the recent instance with Thor's T5, I agree with Krett. That skin was released in a manner that really didn't do it any justice and made a LOT of bad hype concerning it. If you guys saw it in the actual patch notes show, it looked about 10x better than it did in the leak, and I can really see why hirez isn't very pleased with datamining right now because of it. In general though, I side more with datamining. While I do agree that misinformation and stuff like that is pretty dumb, I typically take smite datamining's info with a grain of salt. Regardless, knowing what gods are upcoming does help me get hype for them. An example of this is Medusa, who I was REALLY excited for because she had been predicted so long ago (an older example of this could be Fenrir as well). Overall, while I think stuff found in the pts is fair game for the most part, if something like a leaked pts happens and a huge thing like the T5 skin gets spoiled, at least have some tact and either keep it to yourself or show it looking as good as it is in-game.

As for part 2, I'm more in agreement with Krett. Regardless of the time you spend datamining, you shouldn't be monetizing for others' work. Datamining should be done and shared because you want to spread cool content you've discovered, not because you want to make a dime off of it. You should work to discover content because you're passionate about it, not because you want people's money. Regardless of the fact that Krett has monetized questionable things, that doesn't make monetizing datamining any less wrong.

Anyway, that's just my personal thoughts. Agree? Disagree?
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » November 12, 2015 2:22am | Report
as far as I know smite has the biggest problems with the data mining.

compared to LoL and Dota. I honestly don't even know if those games are getting datamined. Maybe they even banned it by their user agreement.

like really it isn't even sure when the 2 still missing heroes join or in which order (a lot of people say x before y at the moment though)

and I actually think riot doesn't give dataminers a big chance as they announce stuff really early. like the S6 changes the only things that you could call datamined are the youtube vids on the new champion select (as riot was late on their full S6 overview) from people in the PBE. and this doesn't count as datamined IMO. and things they announce are rather quick on PBE too. (at least nowadays they make dataming hard)

how ever I gotta agree with Krett because of the same points as you Zilby

Also I don't know exactly how datamining works but I honestly think smite kinda makes it too easy in certain ways

(funny is if you search for LoL datamined skins you get soem results most being from 2012 1 from 2015 eing a troll and then you get 2 smite dataming hits XD)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » November 12, 2015 2:53am | Report
I disagree with both of you and I'll write why later
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » November 12, 2015 6:41am | Report
#anticipation

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » November 12, 2015 7:10am | Report
I'll write it in 3h10min
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » November 12, 2015 10:48am | Report
WARNING : This is REALLY big and I made this with my own opinions/research. It you wish to argument with me, read it ENTIRELY.

I'll put numbers on my arguments so you can just like "2- blablablabla "

I'm also leaving the Reddit thread link so you can check some of my research/arguments :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/3shn0w/so_with_the_datamining_drama_on_twitter_what_is/

Click here to read ! ^^

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » November 12, 2015 10:55am | Report
Damn prism I thought I wrote a lot xD
Give me some time to read my way through this

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » November 12, 2015 11:30am | Report
Okay okay okay, got through all that and I agree maybe like 87%. Firstly this last comment

" Ohh and I especially loved the comment how "Datamining ruins Hi Rez's way of hyping their stuff". Yet Hi Rez actually never bothered to hype any of their patch notes related stuff, at best they'll tweet the picture of the skin card before patch notes. Meanwhile we get news that some god is getting some skin weeks before it actually happens through datamining, and THAT is what gets people hyped, knowing that their fave god is getting a skin. "

is definitely on point, this is exactly why I like datamining, hence my Medusa example above. I still think that datamining done right is a really neat thing that I enjoy.

A point I never stated but agree with is that HiRez is at the same if not more at fault for leaked content as dataminers. They could easily as you mentioned tell datamining what they absolutely don't want spoiled and leave it at that. However, regardless of that fact, leaking the information in a way that can be potentially harmful to the final product (as in the case of T5 thor) is still morally wrong, at least by my standards. Even if the smitedatamining site isn't the person responsible, it was still essentially a dataminer that caused this, so datamining smite as a whole takes fault (to clarify, I'm not saying that smitedatamining should apologize for that since it's not their, but it still makes them and their community

Now this technically has nothing to do with datamining, but was Krett right to tackle this debate? Not really. As pointed out, his argument is very opinionated, he has no real stake in the argument and he has also had quite questionable monetization in the past (hypocritical? quite so). I think he's allowed to have an opinion, you can't take away that right, but the way he presented it very condescendingly and without much backing and adding to the drama wasn't okay. I didn't mention that above because I was trying to stay on the topic of datamining rather than krett's personal morality but that's that.

Overall though you still said "I do agree that monetization is wrong, not saying it's right" so I guess we're in agreement then? The only point of contention seemed to be whether dataminers should be held responsible for showing content in a poor light, which I thought was still wrong (although not without equal responsibility coming from HiRez), or if they're guilt free, I'm not sure you ever quite stated where you stand on that.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GameGeekFan » November 12, 2015 11:33am | Report
All in all this is a subjective topic to discuss. My only opinion I have on this is that HR could have easily discussed to the dataminers of what they dont want to reveal yet. Besides the hype helped alot before, yet I don't think HR was doing that, just the dataminers.

GameGeekFan
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (50)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » November 12, 2015 11:37am | Report
GameGeekFan wrote:

All in all this is a subjective topic to discuss. My only opinion I have on this is that HR could have easily discussed to the dataminers of what they dont want to reveal yet. Besides the hype helped alot before, yet I don't think HR was doing that, just the dataminers.

I feel most everyone can agree with that yeah

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }