Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Datamining Debate

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » The Datamining Debate 17 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » November 12, 2015 12:04pm | Report
Zilby wrote:

Overall though you still said "I do agree that monetization is wrong, not saying it's right" so I guess we're in agreement then? The only point of contention seemed to be whether dataminers should be held responsible for showing content in a poor light, which I thought was still wrong (although not without equal responsibility coming from HiRez), or if they're guilt free, I'm not sure you ever quite stated where you stand on that.

It was my Lydia example.

IMO, The SMITEDatamining should NOT be held responsable BY THIS TACKLE we have right now, and I believe that Dataminers need to think, like " This is REALLY big, so I shouldn't spoil it " otherwise, they're not dataminers, they're children.
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GameGeekFan » November 12, 2015 12:04pm | Report
Then comes the topic of whether they get money or not for it.

I think they should, in a way. I like to think of it as a mutual benefit. They get the data the people want and get people hyped, then HR recieves money for the purchases of such skins or even more people online to try the new thing. Of course for this to be morally right or for it to work at all, HR needs to contact the dataminers on what they cant reveal, or to reveal something the right way.

If no communication is occuring, then who is really at fault? HR for being lazy and not contacting them, or the dataminers for finding info that HR couldve kept secret?

GameGeekFan
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (50)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » November 12, 2015 12:06pm | Report
I also think ppl like Mez should stop TRYING TO ACT LIKE LAWYERS and saying that it is ilegal to enable ads on the site.

Like for reals
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GameGeekFan » November 12, 2015 12:06pm | Report
Btw they should be equally guilty. Still taking dataminers side for the most part.

GameGeekFan
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (50)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Stuke99 » November 12, 2015 12:34pm | Report
I personally like datamining as it gets me hyped for the next god, but I will say making money off of it is kind of a **** move.

Stuke99
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » November 12, 2015 3:09pm | Report
I disagree, not going too in-depth with it but just touching the surface, here goes.

To start, the issue with the T5 Thor skin wasn't a part of smitedatamining, it was revealed from a random reddit user. Misconception Krett even admitted in one of the comments of that video.

Going on, datamining is actually encouraged by HiRez... They add in jokes of icons like Krett mentioned specifically for dataminers to reveal. It's practically harmless and the site is kept going because of players' curiosity. Sure, datamining in general can add or get rid of hype... But that's up to Hirez to define the line because they don't have to release all the new game files for upcoming patches in the PTS.

It's like saying news websites are morally wrong because they can release a story before the "big guys" can do it in a more professional way. It's his/her website, it's up to the owner what kind of content that is shown to the public. It's up to you to call it content or not, but it's not right to criticize a person making money off of his own website.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » November 13, 2015 2:58pm | Report
Devampi wrote:

I honestly think smite kinda makes it too easy in certain ways

as I didn't watch the vid (I'm lazy lately) I'm going back onto this point.

If HR really don't want people to datamine they should like riot not put certain stuff in their files. That's why it was kinda a surprise when I read zilby's part of HR not being happy about it.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }