Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Hi-rez receipts

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Hi-rez receipts 29 posts - page 3 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by xZeroStrike » September 19, 2016 9:36am | Report
Zilby wrote:

As for this If you've had to train yourself for years to avoid acting on sexist remarks (such as saying women are more sensitive/emotional, I'm sorry zero, but I lost all respect for you after you said that)

Whatever you've picked up that made you lose "respect for me", I find that too bad. Just know that I'm not criticizing women. Infact I love women. Beautiful, mostly friendly and heartwarming humans.

Them being more "sensitive/emotional" isn't me criticizing them. It's literally hormones. The human body is what it's called. Just like males tend to be more aggressive.

Whatever..

xZeroStrike
<Hunter Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DucksRock » September 19, 2016 9:40am | Report
Zilby wrote:

Oooookkkaaaayyy a lot to unpack here. Firstly: this is coming from the perspective of me, an American who's majoring in Computer Science and Game design and looking for coops (semester long internships) in the industry. As such, naturally I did research into the companies whose games I've played the most that are local to the US, to see if I'd want to work for a company that makes games I've enjoyed. HiRez was one of the first companies I looked into. Their reviews by employees that have worked there are consistently terrible. They pretty much all say what was in Nex's drive across multiple different sites (most notably glassdoor which is what most people use), spanning from 2013 to the present (thus unless one person came back to write hundreds of reviews year after year... you get the idea). The gist of it is: upper management sucks, most of the employees are great, but upper management remains terrible in cases involving sexual harassment, treatment of its artists, and only promoting those within an inner circle close to the CEO.

Believing whatever DM says about HiRez is being naive, even if he is telling what he believes to be the truth, he's one small cog in the studio and his perspective is narrow. He doesn't interact with 95% of HiRez employees, so while his small lens might be rose tinted, it's not a good perspective to get a bigger picture. Hundreds of dissatisfied employees are.

Now as for your individual arguments firstly: why anonymous reviews? The gaming industry is a brutal, kind of awful industry. There are tons of companies with equally heinous reviews, and most companies that see someone non-anonymously bash a gaming company will blacklist them. Thus unless you want to be blacklisted from the industry (well most of the industry, but considering it's very hard to find work even without being blacklisted.. yeah...) you don't bash your previous employer online with your own identity. In regards to sexual harassment it's a similar thing. If they bring up sexual harassment to upper management, you can see that they're ineffective from the reviews HiRez has gotten. If you bring it to court against the individual or the company, 9/10 times you won't win the case as it's very hard to record solid evidence of sexual harassment unless you have video of it, and most cases happen around the workplace where no such evidence is recorded. Even if you DO end up winning the case, you'll likely be fired soon after with the company citing something else such as "low productivity" as the reason for firing you so they can't get sued, and then you'll be completely blacklisted from the gaming industry, as no gaming company wants to get sued by one of its employees; even the liberal ones.

As for this If you've had to train yourself for years to avoid acting on sexist remarks (such as saying women are more sensitive/emotional, I'm sorry zero, but I lost all respect for you after you said that) and harassment to avoid being fired, you'd be pretty good at looking cheery on camera too, it's really not hard.

So yeah. I'd really like to want to work for HiRez, I love smite and I really think it's a great game. But after the research I did... I'd rather work for Ubisoft or something. Idk if Nex has a personal vendetta or whatever, but from someone who's more biased to like HiRez than dislike, just understand that I kind of agree.

I also don't agree with shutting this thread down necessarily. It should be in off-topic, but it's helpful discussion for those who are in positions like my own~

thanks for the insights Zilby, but i still doubt it. I'd still like to stay on the blind fanboy train, cause i have spoken to Erez on a few occasions in early beta. i dont think he could do sexual harassment.

i will stop following this thread though, probably because i have a lot to think about regarding this. i'd rather keep my vision of hirez, even if it is flawed, because it is a company that has helped me in many ways.
Hi!

I'm DucksRock, But you can call me Ducks.

Kuzenbo rights advocate, guide-making delayer and passionate pop music fan.

Kuzenbo guide coming soon.

DucksRock

Prominent (41)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » September 19, 2016 9:43am | Report
xZeroStrike wrote:

Whatever you've picked up that made you lose "respect for me", I find that too bad. Just know that I'm not criticizing women. Infact I love women. Beautiful, mostly friendly and heartwarming humans.

Them being more "sensitive/emotional" isn't me criticizing them. It's literally hormones. The human body is what it's called. Just like males tend to be more aggressive.

Whatever..

Sorry, maybe that was a bit harsh. It's not a criticism but it is stereotyping. Most stereotypes are rooted in a bit of truth, but they're fleshed out far more than they really are in reality. Men being more aggressive and women being more emotional are generally related to testosterone for the first and periods for the second, but making that generalized assumption isn't really fair. There are TONS of guys who are really non-aggressive (myself included) and women that are stoic, so making these sweeping generalizations is a bad habit.

But that's a bit off topic, ending that now.

@Ducks, you can still like aspects of HiRez and enjoy them as a whole (again, I like 98% of the company), but viewing them through rose tinted glasses is deluding yourself a bit. You can choose what you want to see, but what's there is there.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DucksRock » September 19, 2016 9:48am | Report
Zilby wrote:

@Ducks, you can still like aspects of HiRez and enjoy them as a whole (again, I like 98% of the company), but viewing them through rose tinted glasses is deluding yourself a bit. You can choose what you want to see, but what's there is there.

i know that was the wrong approach, but i mostly feel bad cause i protected him on a ton of occasions. i guess that was a reaction to that. i still choose to see Erez for the human he is, but i guess ii'l take that with a grain of salt now.
Hi!

I'm DucksRock, But you can call me Ducks.

Kuzenbo rights advocate, guide-making delayer and passionate pop music fan.

Kuzenbo guide coming soon.

DucksRock

Prominent (41)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Technotoad64 » September 20, 2016 7:24am | Report
I got here late, I guess, so sorry if this is necro.
All things considered, I have wanted to work for hirez since fall 2015, and I still do. Upper management be damned. The head of (close to any) large enough company is likely to be corrupt, and that's just what money does. That doesn't excuse sexual harassment, but if you are being harassed, no matter who it is, report it. If you don't, you only have yourself to blame.
#ffe699 #ffff99 #e6ff99 #ccff99 #afff99 #99ff99 #99ffb3 #99ffcc #99fff3 #99f3ff #99e6ff #99ccff
#ffcc33 #ffff33 #ccff33 #99ff33 #66ff33 #33ff33 #33ff66 #33ff99 #33ffcc #33ffff #33ccff #3399ff
#cc9900 #cccc00 #99cc00 #66cc00 #33cc00 #00cc00 #00cc33 #00cc66 #00cc99 #00cccc #0099cc #0066cc
#664d00 #666600 #4d6600 #336600 #1a6600 #006600 #00661a #006633 #00664d #006666 #004d66 #003366

Technotoad64
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » September 20, 2016 9:18am | Report
@Techno, fair point. Tbh HiRez isn't even that far from the norm for the gaming industry, a lot of companies are like this so working for them isn't really that much different from working for half the other companies out there. As for the sexual harassment though, most of these people did report it, HiRez was just very ineffective in regards to taking any action.

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Stuke99 » September 20, 2016 11:20am | Report
Not sorry for Necroing as well but I have to say this.

Ok, what Zero said was not the smartest thing he said but Nex's response it was got my attention. I've made it clear in the past that I don't like Hi-Rez's tactics that much but I do enjoy the games they make and can see their teams are really trying to make the games they do. I would also like to address the harassment claims made against Hi-Rez and their CEO. If there was sexual harassment going on at Hi-Rez, then why hasn't any of their former, top dog, high respected employees spoke out about it like Bart, Kelly, or Brandon; they have nothing to lose at this point as they are sitting pretty financially well doing their own thing and could expose what Hi-Rez and their CEO dose behind closed doors but there was nothing so, it seems to me, the harassment claims are false until solid evidence and recorded accounts prove otherwise. If making complains to the company aren't helping, get the law involved, I'm sure that will get them to change their act as harassment of all kind are not taken lightly in the US as of late and could totally bring them to court.

Stuke99
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » September 20, 2016 12:10pm | Report
Bart, Kelly and Brandon all worked relatively in the same department of HiRez, which is a 200+ person company. It's very possible they were never personally exposed to any harassment in the workplace, considering the multiple incidents reported in the reviews were generally from lower level workers than them and different areas of HiRez. Even if they had been exposed to them, I already mentioned that the gaming industry is super harsh. Outing your previous employer on sexual harassment would make it much harder to find future work in the industry and while those three have a fairly stable economic status, they're not rich, they need work. Finally, again, people don't want to take things to court since they'd be blacklisted from the industry.

Just because you can point to people who are the face of a company who outwardly express no discontent doesn't mean there's nothing going on behind the scenes. The world is harsh, but everyone puts on a smile because that's what everyone wants to see.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Technotoad64 » September 21, 2016 5:50am | Report
Zilby wrote:
The world is harsh, but everyone puts on a smile because that's what everyone wants to see.

Quote of the Year.
#ffe699 #ffff99 #e6ff99 #ccff99 #afff99 #99ff99 #99ffb3 #99ffcc #99fff3 #99f3ff #99e6ff #99ccff
#ffcc33 #ffff33 #ccff33 #99ff33 #66ff33 #33ff33 #33ff66 #33ff99 #33ffcc #33ffff #33ccff #3399ff
#cc9900 #cccc00 #99cc00 #66cc00 #33cc00 #00cc00 #00cc33 #00cc66 #00cc99 #00cccc #0099cc #0066cc
#664d00 #666600 #4d6600 #336600 #1a6600 #006600 #00661a #006633 #00664d #006666 #004d66 #003366

Technotoad64
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }