Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Counter dat pokemon strategy.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » Counter dat pokemon strategy. 62 posts - page 3 of 7
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » May 13, 2014 7:22am | Report
@Subzero You're right on in team comp:

Sucker punch 1 hit KO on my gengar lol, and idk why I had poison jab, was picking it too quickly I guess.I might still see how the electro ball plays out, I usually only use it if my other attacks are ineffective or enemy is immune.

Right about priority. This kid had one blaziken and I couldn't do anything to him and kod my whole team with 2% health. Right that my blaziken isn't a physical sweeper, so I might put another one and just make kyogre have toxic or a bit more of a wall.

Right on about taunt, had a difficult match with someone who had taunt but electro ball came thru xD.

I think you're wrong about the calm mind scenario. I personally am a fan of it but with gengars speed, he can just use clear smog and clear all those stats. Or I could try to add in a flying pokemon w/ whirlwind.

Nice points

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DaisySniper » May 13, 2014 8:00am | Report
there always a way to fight it, but at the same time you can't read someone may do. Not only that sometimes it really just comes down to luck or if its even possible to reverse it. If you go by normal rules sometimes what ever 1st pokemon you pick can cost you the game.

DaisySniper

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » May 13, 2014 9:38am | Report
Yeah. The problem with teambuilding is that you can only cover a limited amount of things - it gets to a point where by covering up weaknesses for your team, you create equal weaknesses in other places. When someone suggests a pokemon change, they should not only explain why, but provide a short analysis on a team with that change added, which should help show what new weaknesses come out. That's why I don't do RMTs - I'm way too lazy to do that.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » May 13, 2014 11:40am | Report
Great great. Im impatient and counter me!

All4Games wrote:

Here is the team in building for next years vgc.

Spoiler: Click to view
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Swampmist1142 » May 13, 2014 3:05pm | Report
Ok, posted the actual strats, go check it out!

Swampmist1142

Remarkable (8)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 13, 2014 9:24pm | Report

Tyranitar (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 236 HP / 56 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SDef
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Thunder Punch

I started this team with the single-minded want to use an unconventional-but-effective assault vest user, so I decided on TTar here. With his already crazy sp.defence from sand coupled with the assault vest, he is a force to be reckoned with. The only problem I foresaw was with keeping him alive, and so I created...

Umbreon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 232 HP / 212 Def / 64 SDef
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

My cleric and one of the best tanks in OU, umbreon does everything you want out of a physically-biased mixed-wall in the 6th gen meta: Can take a special hit well enough to not worry about getting killed by the few hard special attackers, has physical defense for DAAAAAAAYS, and has access to something that many walls in OU covet: STAB Foul Play. Only a few things I might change, and honestly I'm considering going with a vaporeon or something. Open to ideas.

Pinsir (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

I needed damage, speed, and a mega. So who you gonna call? GHOS... er.... MEGA PINSEEER! Yeah, that was bad, but M-pinser is quite good in today's meta. He tends to do the least work out of my sweepers, but I'll be damned if he can't clean up the post game as well as a +2 luke, especially after a moxie boost. Also it's great for killing sash-hazards leads like mamo, so it can work as a lead.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 HP / 20 Atk / 240 Def / 48 Spd
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

At this point in the team creation, I began to look at what my team really needed, and my defensive core was both dark types. Woops. well, what beats fighting types? Landorous. With M-Pinser covering fairies and offensively pressuring the big fighting types in the tier, I needed all of a pivot, a SR user and a physical tank who could beta fighting types and M-Mawile. Landorus Always serves me well and counters many of the big threats in the tier, especially with knock-off + U-turn giving me so much pivoting potential. One of my Possible leads as well, specifically for set up. With it's mixed scarfiness, it tends to act as my lead, although more as an anti-lead as such.

Infernape (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 158 Atk / 158 SAtk / 192 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- ThunderPunch
- Poison Jab

I needed something Fast, Mixed and ready to F anyone. So why not a physically biased Infernape? Grant you, I could have gone fully special and been better off, but this infernape is much better against the blobs and can deal great damage to most of the other walls that could stop M-Pinser from sweeping. Part of my Wall-breaker core,
Infernape pairs well with...

Jolteon (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

Mr. Jolteon. Most people haven't seen jolteon much since 4th and maybe 5th gen, so even with it's tiny movepool it's still an amazing counter to most things. He's super fast with Timid, and the specs makes him hit like a magical truck. Also, with VS, he completes my VoltTurn core, both of which have electric immunity for sillyness when protecting M-Pinser.

Not going to explicate at the mo' because I have school in the morning, but it seems to serve me well is showdown singles OU.

Edit: Basic Descriptions in.

I've seen that special TTar set before (it doesn't work too great in doubles), and he seems fine, but why Thunder Punch over Rock Slide or another coverage move? Not to mention you already have a EQ guy.

Umbreon is awesome.

For Pinsir, he's mostly fine, except I'd switch either Close Combat or Earthquake or even X-Scissor for Return. Return is a WAY stronger STAB move than X-Scissor, reaching a ridiculous 198.9 base power with STAB and Aerilate, with X-Scissor dealing a relatively minor 120 base damage. I don't really understand the singles meta right now, but I advise you to remove the type coverage you need least.

Landorus is so damn obnoxious. I suppose it works.

Infernape is pretty awesome, but I don't think Poison Jab is the best coverage move (but I don't really play singles, so I can be completely wrong about this.) What kind of walls do you normally see? Because Poison just seems odd.

Jolteon's also fine.

Your team seems vulnerable to being counter-sweeped by something really, really fast, like Scarfchomp. EQ would be a OHKO against 1/3 of your team, Rock Slide takes care of another 1/3, and I think only Tyranitar and Umbreon have the bulk to withstand one of the STAB moves.

If you're wondering, Infernape, with only 192 Spe EVs, is slower than a maxed speed Scarfchomp. Not to mention, even if Infernape got in the first hit, odds are he wouldn't OHKO Garchomp without a lucky crit.

Actually, now that I think about it, your team is all slower than a normal Jolly Garchomp, with the exception of Jolteon and Infernape. A Life Orb Garchomp, or worse, a Focus Sash Garchomp, can really ruin your day. (Seriously, how trolly would Focus Sash be against a HP Ice Jolteon?)

tl;dr: Your team is weak to ground, a common coverage move, along with Rock Slide. Aerodactyl and/or Garchomp could but a big dent in your team, and your only anti-ground ability is HP Ice, with no other ice or water or grass move to be seen. This could be a problem. Again, singles aren't my forte. But that's my analysis.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 14, 2014 12:15am | Report
All4's Team

Greninja looks good and so does Lucario, although I think Lucario needs some kind of speed boost. 112 speed is fast, but it's not THAT fast.

Dusclops is **********ing Dusclops. No need to explain him, but I think two recovery moves are a bit overkill, especially when you can use something like Confuse Ray or Taunt or Torment, etc.

Uh, I'm here to tell you that while Typlosion with Scarf and Eruption is freaking terrifying, a +2 (uninvested) Sucker Punch can and will KO him in one hit. I can tell you from both personal experience and the damage calculator. But the typical 252 Atk Adamant Mega Mawile will indeed fall to your Typlosion.

Thunderus is a douchenozzle.

Oh god, your Dragonite is really scary. x2.5 Atk Extremespeed too stronk. But I'd get something like Fire Punch to take care of those pesky steel types, since you already have Electric coverage from Thunderus.

Overall, you team is great, I can't find much wrong about it. But it does have a few problems.

1. Water. Water types can decimate your team. Water counters Typlosion very hard, and all water types have an ice beam handy for Thunderus and Dragonite, and for the latter, Marvel Scale can be bypassed fairly easily by savvy player using spread moves, priority moves, or focused fire.

2. This one sounds very specific, but Mega Mawile w/Swords Dance (and maybe Steel types). Lucario is OHKO'd by +2 Sucker Punch. So is Typlosion. Dragonite is OHKO'd by +2 Play Rough - and yes, that includes Marvel Scale. You have only two pokemon that can put a dent into Mawile, and Lucario and Typlosion both die to Sucker Punch. As for setup...setting up Swords Dance equals a Swords Dance to Mawile, too. Greninja might survive a +2 Sucker Punch, at the cost of 90% of his health, which is honestly kind of hilarious, but he is OHKO'd by Play Rough. I'm pretty sure that Thunderus would also die to a single +2 Sucker Punch. And Dusclops...well, he might work as a check, but the damage calculator tells me that there is a 98.8% chance that 2 +0 Play Roughs would kill Dusclops. Basically, Mega Mawile with Swords Dance acts as a check to literally your entire team. As a lead, a sweeper, and a wallbreaker.

3. Speedy sweepers. A sweeper with good type coverage can kill Greninja, Lucario, Thunderus, and maybe Dragonite if his partner chips in. If the sweeper has Choice Scarf and is someone like Starmie, Greninja, or even Garchomp, Typlosion is dead, too. This is probably the biggest weakness - the only things strong enough to survive a hit that can outspeed it are Dragonite and Dusclops, and maybe Mega Lucario, if he isn't instagibbed by the dozens of EQs and Fire Blasts and Close Combats or Superpowers out there. (ScarfMalamar is a ****)

Suggestions: I think Dragonite could forget Thunder Punch and get something like Earthquake or Fire Punch. Or Ice Punch, for other dragons and Garchomp/Salamance.

And honestly, I think Mega Lucario was a bad choice. Your team doesn't really cover his weaknesses - Fighting, Ground and Fire, other then Greninja. Having "mini-team synergy" is generally not as effective as having your whole team synergize. If you want a setup sweeper, Mega Dragon Dance Gyrados, Mega Swords Dance Blaziken, etc, generally do a better job - especially Mega Blaziken, whose weaknesses of flying and water are countered by the tons of electricity on your team.

But besides that, your team is pretty good. It took me a pretty long time to think of these weaknesses, and that's a good sign, I think.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » May 14, 2014 12:50am | Report
I wasn't really looking to switch pokemon out, moves are more of my priority since i am happy with my team as it is.

I run thunderpunch for taking care of mega zard and as a good alturnative to dragonpunch which can already take care of dragons. I think that because i am not going with any ev investment in sp att on thundurus so having him as electric coverage is an overstatement.

Dusclops has rest as a way of just clearing all statuses and pain split for quick hp gain when still setting up so i am not sure that i want to switch out on of those or which one but i'll look into it.

When i am home im going to run a few damage calculators on mega mawile on what i can do to handle her better, like i said before sub you are one of the few people who i have actually seen running sword dance on m-mawile so untill more people realise how strong it is i am safe from that though i will look into what more i can do to counter her.

I am not that afraid of water types because like you said they often run ice beam and with dragonite that will trigger weakness policy and let's me sweep.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » May 14, 2014 12:54am | Report
Im going to put parafuse on thundurus with swagger. Should also help against m-mawile.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 14, 2014 3:09am | Report
Wait...what is Dragonpunch? Are you talking about Dual Chop, or Ice Punch?

Personally, I dislike ParaFuze as a strat. Sometimes, it works, but I've won with a +4 Mega Mawile before.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }