Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Counter dat pokemon strategy.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » Counter dat pokemon strategy. 62 posts - page 1 of 7
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » May 12, 2014 1:58am | Report
Its simple. You write down your main team and it's strategy and then the rest of us try to make a counter for it.

Rules: just calling out a move does not count! You have to tell us the pokemon's that would be using it.

Tell us your teams main format! A team can be OP in single's but suck in double's and that goes for counter to.

GO!
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » May 12, 2014 3:59am | Report
Format: VGC 2014

V (Vivillon) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Safeguard
- Protect

Most people view Vivillon as a one-trick pony: 89 Spd 97% Acc. Sleep Powder. Beyond that, they stop looking. Not me. 252 SpA 91% acc. Hurricane, even with Vivillon's base SpAtk, hits hard (a crit will always OHKO all viable variants of Amoonguss, and Sky Drop + Hurricane KO's almost all Grass-types), and gives me a way to dent M-Venu, who gives my team problems. Safeguard is self-explanatory, and since I usually lead with her when I use her, it gets use. Sash is so she can at least get ONE sleep off, and sice she's so FRAIL, people love to target her. I cannot tell you how many times I have won by baiting my enemy to attack a pokemon I used Protect with. She does need some team support, though - which I gave her through my next pokemon.

Aaron (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Wide Guard
- Rock Slide
- Sky Drop
- Tailwind

When you see an Aero, your first thought is probably "UU". Don't get fooled. He hits fast, hits hard, gives great support, and breaks nine out of every ten leads. He's the fastest guy on the field 90% of the time, so I always nullify a move first turn with Sky Drop and not the second turn, and RS' flinch chance is always taken into account. With Vivillon, I usually break the front line of the opponent, then Kamikaze (stop using Wide Guard/Protect) so my main two pokemon can get on the field. He makes a good clean-up crew, too: I actually won a 1v2 with 3% health because I Sky Dropped right before the opposing pokemon used Hi Jump Kick, killing himself. Sky Drop killed the other. But one of the most neglected things about him is his Tailwind; people think it's useless because he's already so fast. What they don't realize is who's affected when he's gone. And 146 (282 at level 100) Spd Mega-Mawile comes in and kicks them in the gut.

Maria (Mawile) (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 4 Def / 180 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

One of the two pokemon I started with in the making of this team. She's easily strong enough in doubles to not only pull her weight, but to even rival M-Kangaskhan's VGC Best Mega slot. Play Rough hurts like all hell, and is my main STAB move. Iron Head has surprising coverage with Fairy, and with Speed Creep and Tailwind in the mix, the flinch can be useful too. Sucker Punch is to get past the speed stat and get a hurting opponent. And Protect lets me act as bait to avoid Mega-evolving, make Char-Y mega before he should, waste enemies turns, and to let tick damage get one more instance in. Fake Out also sucks. Now, people always tell me that her typing isn't as good as it sounds, as Fire and Ground moves are extremely popular. I answer with two words: Rotom Wash.

Buzz (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 4 SAtk / 132 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt

This pokemon is M-Mawile's missing part. A resistance and immunity to the two things she gets hit hard by, and can hit both super-effectively. Fairy/Steel/Water/Electric is also one of the best coverage combinations out there, allowing them to take out almost any target(s), even at low health. However, this combo does have its flaws: Sun rips them apart to hell and back again. So I devised a strategy, to deal with this seemingly insurmountable threat. Then I pooled together everything my (at the moment) team of 5 needed to patch up, and almost instantly, a solution came to me: Special Attacker Tyranitar.

Marx (Tyranitar) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Nobody expects the Spanish Inqui- oops, sorry, wrong line. I meant Nobody expects the Special TTar. My team needed three things: 1.) a Dark-type, for both offensive and defensive capabilities. 2.) a way to counter Sun. 3.) a special Attacker. TTar fit all of these. Sand Stream completely counters Sun, I hit Char-Y quad-effectively, and I have immense offensive capabilities, especially people will Intimidate and Burn me. How sweet. Rock Slide still hits hard, too. AND after some LO recoil, people will start targeting him, so he can abuse Protect to buy several extra turns. But now you're wondering why special, because this is the fifth Poke I've shown you. And the last one is actually the second pokemon I put on the team, right after M-Mawile, to build the team so his niches are filled: Gallade.

Galahad (Gallade) @ Leftovers
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 116 Def / 4 SDef / 60 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Feint
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Protect

People say Gallade has stiff competition. I do not believe them. His niche is a wide and unique one, and the only pokemon in said niche that people say gives him competition sucks balls when non-Mega, securing him a nice place in VGC '14: He boasts a wider movepool and a different typing than Scrafty, and two niche but very good abilities. Vivillon's Hurricane alone can't deal with M-Venu; what if I'm not even running her? I needed another SE STAB to hit him with. Fighting STAB is also invaluable, with Fighting-weak pokemon, namely M-Kanga, running around everywhere in VGC '14. I'm 50% sure Scrafty doesn't get Feint, which I personally think is as godlike as Protect in doubles, with the ability to take down high-health opponents with the same ability that made them use Protect. And, finally, who can't resist going after that -3 Def -3 SpDef half-health pokemon? I've gotten use out of Protect with him. Protect, switch out, switch back in, protect - I suddenly can take a lot more hits.

Well, yeah, that's my team. Obviously, no teams are perfect, so there are going to be flaws. There are actually some things I want to change:
1.) Gallade's EV Spread. I was too lazy to run calcs, so I copied a physical version of Scarfed Gardevoir's EVs.
2.) TTar's nature. Is Rash really the best?
3.) Gallade's/Aero's item. Lefties has served Gallade well, but something else might do better, and as for Aero, while Lum Berry has helped, I can't help but think its effect goes unused through a lot of games, so there might be a better option.

But I like my team. As soon as I can, I'll be building it in-game (did I mention, my B-day was May 6th, and I got a 3DS XL and Pokemon X last Saturday?), and will use it in all future VGCs it'll be eligible in. I also won't change any pokemon, so don't even try to suggest changing my pokemon. :P

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » May 12, 2014 4:22am | Report
Good now explain how it exactly work.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » May 12, 2014 6:05am | Report
Is there the "Sleep Clause Mod" where it limits one pokemon to sleep like in Showdown?

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » May 12, 2014 7:19am | Report
Smogon singles uses it

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » May 12, 2014 7:19am | Report
Vgc doesn't

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » May 12, 2014 7:31am | Report
All4Games wrote:

Good now explain how it exactly work.

Sorry, forgot that part. Editing right after I post this.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » May 12, 2014 9:33am | Report
Interesting. I remember that when i fought you you ran aaron and V with sleep powder skydrop. I think my secondary lead being a thundurus with taunt, thunder wave and thunderbolt next to my dragonite would have been able to counter that rather well.

You are very weak to electic types on this team and a prankster with taunt absolutely destroys you first turn lead if they know a vivilon.

Over all your team is very deadly. 3 possible mega's can throw some opponents off and you are well prepared for almost all of the popular leads in vgc 14.

I do recommand planning a secondary lead that doesn't immidiatly flop to some sneaky anti prankster though you seem like you should be able craft that with your current arsanal.

If you desperatly want that rock slide rash is the best. The meta right now is filled with pysical sweepers so missing out on spdef is not the worst.

Keep lum on aero. If he gets hit leftovers wont heal him up to survive an other. Lum will save you from the things that can truely ruin your lead, burn and par on a pysical like aero is just no.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » May 12, 2014 11:16am | Report
Well, I don't ALWAYS go that lead. It just so happens to be the combination I end up using the most. If I predict a prankster/taunt lead, if it's a grass-type I'd still go Vivillon because Hurricane'd probably be a OHKO, or close to.

You have a point. I'll keep rash.

Well, Electric hits Rotom-W neutrally, Vivillon's not supposed to survive **** anyway (I joke that her three levels of health are 100%, 1%, and 0%. It's not that far off), but I agree it hits Aero hard. Hopefully, I'd Sky Drop it so it'd e useless, or use RS to hurt the other poke and hope for the flinch. Or if I'm expecting Discharge or Parabolic Wave, Wide Guard.

The beauty of my Aero set is even if I'm -6 Atk and burned, I'm still useful. Wide Guard and Tailwind aren't affected, Sky Drop takes an opponent out of the fray for a turn (which can completely change a fight), and Rock Slide still has flinch hax.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 12, 2014 12:54pm | Report
I see a giant Jolteon-and-Electrivire-shaped hole in this strategy.

Okay, Jolteon is about as fast as Aerodactyl, and a Choice Scarf Jolteon would be a perfect anti-lead and normal lead for this combo, for reasons I'll explain shortly.

Jolteon uses Discharge first turn, weakening Aerodactyl and the other guy. Then Electrivire, which gains a MASSIVE speed boost from Motor Drive, either kills Aerodactyl, or the other guy, with its fantastic coverage (Fire/Ice Punch, Brick Break/Cross Chop, Wild Charge, etc). You aren't going to outspeed a 433 speed Electrivire, like, ever, without a Choice Scarf.

Seriously, Electrivire has an answer to virtually all of your team. It can obviously instagib Aerodactyl. Mawile will be 2HKO'd by Fire Punch...but when you include Discharge from Jolteon, it'll be a one-turn KO. Buzz won't be killed so easily, but he has the obvious problem of having difficulty killing them. TTar will be instagib'd by Cross Chop + Discharge. Gallade will also be instagib'd by Discharge + Something.

It doesn't matter if Jolteon lives or not. As long as it survives to give out that first Discharge, Electrivire is going to shove something unpleasant up your team's collective ***. And that's not even including the other 2/4 memebers of the team.

Basically, a sweeper with good coverage, that doesn't need setup, and blazing speed can make mincemeat out of your team. It doesn't have to be this combo, necessarily; Noivern can do the same, Salamance is slower than Aerodactyl but can't be lifted with Sky Drop, Scarfchomp, all who can survive one Sucker Punch are virtually free to sweep. A Fake Out user would also REALLY hurt - Stun Aero for a turn, destroy the other guy with your sweeper. (And what's worse is a Fake Out user who uses that double-protect turn for setup).

Your team is too squishy to resist neutral hits from STAB powerhouses or super effective ones from bruiser-tanks like Rotom or Muk (With the obvious exception of Mawile). I would suggest adding some kind of tank. Porygon 2 with Eviolite, Recover, Charge Beam, etc, would help cover the Elec typing, as well as support with Thunder Wave or Toxic.

Also, don't count on people being fooled by the other possible Megas. Mawile simply isn't viable without Mawilite, and any competent player will instantly think, "Mega Mawile."

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }