Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

To All New Players: Please Provide Any Questions You Have on Anything in Smite

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » To All New Players: Please Provide Any Questions You Have on Anything in Smite 31 posts - page 3 of 4

Poll Question:

Didn't Mean To Make This a Poll
Turnip a cool guy
Turnip is a flaming homosexual
Raventhor's name should officially be changed to RavenRadish
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » May 29, 2014 11:38pm | Report
Waffle, it's just learning what items are overpowered based on what you want to do. I wish there was some magnificent answer, but unlike LoL or such, items in this game are pretty straightforward and sensical, so just playing a LOT will teach you what items are overall extremely solid and makes sense. Otherwise, when you are searching for items, if you don't know what to get, put it on list, not extended, so it's a bunch of boxes (easier to navigate) and check off boxes you want, such as physical defense or such. It helps speed it up very quickly and you'll learn what ones are best in each category.

If you ever have a question such as "is ___ good" feel free to ask. We have amazing theorycrafters here :)
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » May 29, 2014 11:38pm | Report
Also holy **** why did ELEVEN PEOPLE VOTE FOR THAT
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 30, 2014 12:16am | Report
Wafflebob, read the following sentences: The specifics of builds (or at least main item builds, actives are different) do not matter.

The specifics of builds (or at least main item builds, actives are different) do not matter.

The specifics of builds (or at least main item builds, actives are different) do not matter.

Did you get that into your head? Good.

Anyway, the main reason why autobuy sucks is because of the ******** actives forcing you to get Med and Sprint, but even they aren't completely terribad. Salvation and Heavenly Agility can be surprisingly useful.

Basically, the choice between Sovereignty and Hide of the Nemean Lion doesn't really matter. Gameplay and skill and teamwork are the main factors.

Those runts who yell at you to pick faster, well, if you sit in base for a minute while your team dies right outside the base, I can understand, but if you were taking only a few seconds, they are *******s.

Unfortunately, I lack experience with him (will change in the future), but I do have experience with playing support. Since you didn't ask a specific question, I will list things that a support has to do and why, and you tell me if you have been doing them.

Supports need to:

(In lane)

- Support their ADC by peeling (basically, prevent enemies from attacking him by CC or protecting your ADC with your shield.)

- Support their ADC by getting kills (very complicated, and tactics are usually dependent on the specific god.)

- Support their team by warding (buying wards and placing them on the map so your team can see their enemies, as well as warning before a gank or enemy rotation)

- Hand of the Gods for clearing the first jungle camp and eventually leveling it to Hog 3.

(Out of Lane)

- Ward the map, because the FG and GF are important objectives, and you want to know if the enemy is trying to get them.

- Hand of the Gods 3 for taking objectives. Instantly killing the Fire Giant or Gold Fury when they drop below 25% health helps prevent enemies from stealing it as well as make it quicker to kill them (and therefore less damage on yourself and your allies).

(In Fights)

- Peel for your allies. Honestly, with the stupid amounts of CC in Smite, don't bother with this. Your team can peel for itself 90% of the time, it's the 10% that you have to watch out for. Geb is ****py at peeling anyway.

- Initiate, or engage. Someone has to start a fight, and it has to be the one who can survive doing so. A good start can define the outcome of a teamfight. You also need to know when to initiate and when to hang back.

- Disengage. If a fight goes south, it is your job to help your allies live to fight another day, even if you must die for it.

- Pick off. This may overlap with engagement. Basically, you can practically doom one of your enemies if you manage to somehow shove them into the middle of your team in a 4v1. Aka, use Roll Out to know an enemy squishy into the center of your team for a free kill, if you have competent allies.

That's all I can think of for now.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » May 30, 2014 7:01am | Report
Wafflebob wrote:

OK so here's mine.
Item selection. So I'm gathering from the guides here that you want to avoid autobuy. It's a crutch. You can build a decent generic character with it but to truly shine you need to customize your items on the fly to match your role, teammates and especially, enemies.

I've tried this a couple times, and keep getting yelled at for pissing around at base. Telling them what I'm doing doesn't help. I realize that there is a somewhat toxic playerbase and account for that but even my friends ***** about it and tell me to do autobuy. The thing is. I've SEEN the effects of customization. We (my friends and I) played a game where we literally could not fend off GEB. They won because nothing we could do freaking scratched him. It was that GEB actually that got me interested in tanking. I saw him anchoring down his entire freaking team and was like "I can do that". Not so much. I've read guides and they like to give you generic builds you can set up and they help. But I've never managed to match the ridiculous power I've seen some other players wield.

So yeah, this isn't really a specific question more of a "am I missing something?" and any suggestions? Should I tell my friends to go F themselves when they tell me to do autobuy?

I suggest going into a bot match and familiarizing yourself with all of the items, so you don't spend 10 seconds simply looking for the item you need. Remember that there's also a search bar, if you can't find what you're looking for.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » May 30, 2014 7:02am | Report
Raventhor wrote:

Also holy **** why did ELEVEN PEOPLE VOTE FOR THAT

it's 13 now. I voted for 1, btw - not enough of a **** to select 2 or 3.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wafflebob » May 30, 2014 1:43pm | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Anyway, the main reason why autobuy sucks is because of the ******** actives forcing you to get Med and Sprint, but even they aren't completely terribad. Salvation and Heavenly Agility can be surprisingly useful.

Basically, the choice between Sovereignty and Hide of the Nemean Lion doesn't really matter. Gameplay and skill and teamwork are the main factors.

OK so item selection for the main items aren't that critical. They are basically all good and just slightly different. The main thing is picking useful actives and actually using them.

Quoted:

Those runts who yell at you to pick faster, well, if you sit in base for a minute while your team dies right outside the base, I can understand, but if you were taking only a few seconds, they are *******s.

Well I've been doing some research and so far most of the people yelling at me seem to be having problems because they aren't doing their job. So i'm not as concerned anymore. As an example our jungler was playing fenrir and kept bursting out of the jungle into my lane to find nobody there to support him as my carry had been thanatosed (we had an enemy thanatos in every one of our games that night) and I ported back to upgrade gear while he respawned. I've now come to realize from reading jungler guides that he should have been keeping an eye on my lane and known I wasn't there to begin with.
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I lack experience with him (will change in the future), but I do have experience with playing support. Since you didn't ask a specific question, I will list things that a support has to do and why, and you tell me if you have been doing them.

Supports need to:

(In lane)

- Support their ADC by peeling (basically, prevent enemies from attacking him by CC or protecting your ADC with your shield.)

- Support their ADC by getting kills (very complicated, and tactics are usually dependent on the specific god.)

- Support their team by warding (buying wards and placing them on the map so your team can see their enemies, as well as warning before a gank or enemy rotation)

- Hand of the Gods for clearing the first jungle camp and eventually leveling it to Hog 3.

-I'm getting the hang of peeling and assisting my carry. Except when thanatos drops out of the sky. Usually I hear him just say "run" or "save yourself" and there's thanatos and a dead ADC

-I just started reading about wards last night actually. And I'm a bit irritated that my friends who insisted I play tank support didn't tell me about them.

-I've been told to stay away from the jungle camps, but my team usually has a dedicated jungler next to my lane. Since I started messing with actives i've been liking HotG for speeding up creep kills though. It's a huge help to my adc who suddenly has a clear shot on whatever we're fighting.
Quoted:

(Out of Lane)

- Ward the map, because the FG and GF are important objectives, and you want to know if the enemy is trying to get them.

- Hand of the Gods 3 for taking objectives. Instantly killing the Fire Giant or Gold Fury when they drop below 25% health helps prevent enemies from stealing it as well as make it quicker to kill them (and therefore less damage on yourself and your allies).

Done very little out of lane fighting. We've mostly been playing siege so no FG or GF. The few games I've been in where we have them, the jungler usually solos the GF and we've never taken on the FG so far, but I've only been playing about a week.

Quoted:

(In Fights)

- Peel for your allies. Honestly, with the stupid amounts of CC in Smite, don't bother with this. Your team can peel for itself 90% of the time, it's the 10% that you have to watch out for. Geb is ****py at peeling anyway.

- Initiate, or engage. Someone has to start a fight, and it has to be the one who can survive doing so. A good start can define the outcome of a teamfight. You also need to know when to initiate and when to hang back.

- Disengage. If a fight goes south, it is your job to help your allies live to fight another day, even if you must die for it.

- Pick off. This may overlap with engagement. Basically, you can practically doom one of your enemies if you manage to somehow shove them into the middle of your team in a 4v1. Aka, use Roll Out to know an enemy squishy into the center of your team for a free kill, if you have competent allies.

That's all I can think of for now.

-I"ve only tanked with YMIR in live games so far and peeling with him is like, stupid easy. I've noticed from looking at many of the other tank supports don't have a lot, or they are more situational

-I'm pretty good at engaging. make sure my creeps and ADC are there and that the enemy force is my normal opponents and not like, my normal opponents plus Ra who came over from mid to say hi.

-Disengaging usually is not a problem. The only consistant problem I've had with that is Thanatos. Drops from the sky, murdilates my ADC and now I've got him between me and safety and the enemy tank and ADC behind me. YMIR doesn't really have any way to escape. I imagine with GEB I could roll away and Sobek has that swimming thing maybe. But so far it's just been Ymir dying.

-Been working on picking off. I see how you could do it with GEBs rollout or Sobek's Charge Prey. I try to use Ymir's wall to do it but in the lanes it doesn't really block off the whole area and a couple times I've guessed wrong on where the enemy would go and actually wall him off FROM us (which REALLY ticks off the ADC)

-

Wafflebob

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 30, 2014 1:51pm | Report
Your escape is mostly your wall. put it behind you an you can get a bit further

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wafflebob » May 31, 2014 12:21am | Report
Devampi wrote:

Your escape is mostly your wall. put it behind you an you can get a bit further

Well for my scenerio I'm mostly looking at Thanatos here while you're already fighting other gods, after he's already flown in behind you and insta-killed your ADC. Meaning you have to get past him. If he has Death Scythe available that's unlikely, as it slows you and does good damage, letting him and any other gods in the vicinity unload on you. This is of course assuming it's only you and your ADC vs. other gods when he jumps in. If I have other players backing me we can usually regroup with no further casualties. Likewise if he dives in with just me and my ADC vs creeps, he's gonna end up a bloody smear on the cobblestones. As of yet I've rarely faced a player stupid enough to do that, howver. They wait until we've driven the other deities protecting the lane to their tower and then he flies in with his ultimate to ruin our day.

Wafflebob

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 31, 2014 1:10am | Report
Wafflebob wrote:

Well for my scenerio I'm mostly looking at Thanatos here while you're already fighting other gods, after he's already flown in behind you and insta-killed your ADC. Meaning you have to get past him. If he has Death Scythe available that's unlikely, as it slows you and does good damage, letting him and any other gods in the vicinity unload on you. This is of course assuming it's only you and your ADC vs. other gods when he jumps in. If I have other players backing me we can usually regroup with no further casualties. Likewise if he dives in with just me and my ADC vs creeps, he's gonna end up a bloody smear on the cobblestones. As of yet I've rarely faced a player stupid enough to do that, howver. They wait until we've driven the other deities protecting the lane to their tower and then he flies in with his ultimate to ruin our day.

That are the cons of overextentending. And you're talking about one of the most annoying ults (and character) of the game. maybe if you're adc has an aegis (you here it when he is going to land) she can activate it to get immune for the ult.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Heartwire » May 31, 2014 5:04pm | Report
Question regarding the God selection screen.

Someone told me that the order you are put it (from top to bottom) represents your w/l ratio.

Is it even stat related or are you put in at random?

Heartwire

Established (16)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }