Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Sort the wrongs from the rights.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Sort the wrongs from the rights. 10 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Flaseron » June 3, 2014 10:35am | Report
I'm pretty new to Smite, and just as new to MOBAs. I'd like to get some veteran players to help me. I don't want to be insulting, or insulted please, so if you come to be elitist, please don't. I'm asking for help here! This is your chance to turn a potential bad teammate into a good one! Anyways, I've gotten mixed reviews, when I first started playing my favorites, I was of course terrible. But now I get mostly good reviews from teammates. I have been told on one occasion that Athena is meant to carry. I later learned by asking repeatedly what that was, and someone explained it, then told me that Athena is NOT meant to carry in any way. I've been told that my role is to distract the enemy and keep them off my allies. I adhere to this role as much as possible, and most of the time this is received well. However, I'd like some of you veterans to analyze the following situation regarding a play through with Athena I had, and tell me what you think I did wrong. You could also point out what I did right, as that would help me to keep that up! For the purposes of good intentions, I would prefer for now to withhold the gamer tags of my teammates. I will refer to them by the gods they played. Here we go.

We begin with myself as Athena (Tank build) going right with Ullr. The other gods are Guan Yu, Janus, and Hun Batz. I don't remember where all the others were, but I know Hun Batz jungled, and I believe that Guan Yu went left while Janus took mid. Anyhow, what ends up happening is that we get 2 on right, Ymir and Neith. As per norm, Ullr and I both attack minions until the enemy gods get bold and attack me. At this point, Ullr backs off completely. I begin to as well, but am stunned, then stunned a second time upon recovery, first by Ymir, then by Neith. I die. Repeat this 3 more times, and Ullr begins telling me that I am bad at Athena, and I will make them lose. I am level 4 at this point, with an Ethereal Staff, and he is level 6, and the enemy is around 6 and 7, perhaps 8 for one of them. I begin to refute his words, as he tells me I need to learn when to back up. I tell him I tried but was stunned, and it is at this point that the others chime in. They agree with Ullr that I should not attack the enemy. I tell them I didn't attack the enemy gods, that I attacked the minions, and then was attacked myself while Ullr left me to die instead of covering me. The argument goes on for a minute or so, with me asking them to help me rather than insult me. Finally I tell Ullr I am leaving right lane because I don't want to help him if he is just going to leave me to die then tell me how bad I am. Janus tells me that some of them are beta testers who know the Devs, and that they will report me to them directly to get me banned if I don't shut up and play. (Note that while I typed during death,I never stopped playing) I leave and go left, and push, taking a tower with Janus, who has gone left at this time as well. Ullr begins surrender votes, saying we can't win, and the like. My build grows with me taking armors that boost health and physical protection (Starting with Hide of Nemean Lion and another on that path) and we continue to play. The others now are more angry at Ullr, realizing that I am still playing, while he continues to beg us to surrender. We end up winning the match, and I do well from the time I leave right lane, getting 3 kills and 10 assists. I did die 10 times, with 5 of those being in right lane before I left it. The other deaths were all in the same manner, me tanking the enemy to give my allies either time to retreat or time to finish the enemy off. I got no complaints past the time I left right lane, and took the tower with Janus. I ended at level 17, helped them take towers, phoenixes, the fire giant, and the titan. My build was as follows, built in this order. Ethereal Staff, Hide of The Nemean Lion, Midgardian Mail, Mystical Mail, Silver Talisman (Was going to be Bulwark Of Hope). My strategy is as follow is the lane. I attack minions first. I usually use my Shield Wall ability on groups unless Gods are nearby. If gods attack me or my allies I start off with a Preemptive Strike, then follow up with Confound and Shield Wall, in either order. I try to keep enemies on me rather than allow them to attack my allies, because as I understand it, that is my role as a tank. As far as my abilities go, I build in the current order. I start the match with Shield Wall ( 3 ) and then at level two, I take Preemptive Strike ( 1 ). Levels 3 and 4, I upgrade Shield Wall and learn Confound ( 2 ) as needed, depending on whether on not I need the pull or damage earlier. From there I mostly upgrade 3, until it will not let me. I do upgrade my Ult whenever it pops up. When I can not upgrade 3, I upgrade 1, when Preemptive Strike is level 3 and Shield Wall is maxed, and when my ult doesn't pop up for upgrade, I upgrade Confound to level 2 to get a bit longer of a pull. From there I max Preemptive Strike first, then Confound. With this situation, build, and strategy, please give me input as to what is going wrong and what is going right. I know that just a description may not be much to go on, but if you need more details I would be glad to provide what I can.

Flaseron

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » June 3, 2014 1:04pm | Report
Flaseron wrote:

I'm pretty new to Smite, and just as new to MOBAs. I'd like to get some veteran players to help me. I don't want to be insulting, or insulted please, so if you come to be elitist, please don't. I'm asking for help here! This is your chance to turn a potential bad teammate into a good one! Anyways, I've gotten mixed reviews, when I first started playing my favorites, I was of course terrible. But now I get mostly good reviews from teammates. I have been told on one occasion that Athena is meant to carry. I later learned by asking repeatedly what that was, and someone explained it, then told me that Athena is NOT meant to carry in any way. I've been told that my role is to distract the enemy and keep them off my allies. I adhere to this role as much as possible, and most of the time this is received well. However, I'd like some of you veterans to analyze the following situation regarding a play through with Athena I had, and tell me what you think I did wrong. You could also point out what I did right, as that would help me to keep that up! For the purposes of good intentions, I would prefer for now to withhold the gamer tags of my teammates. I will refer to them by the gods they played. Here we go.

We begin with myself as Athena (Tank build) going right with Ullr. The other gods are Guan Yu, Janus, and Hun Batz. I don't remember where all the others were, but I know Hun Batz jungled, and I believe that Guan Yu went left while Janus took mid. Anyhow, what ends up happening is that we get 2 on right, Ymir and Neith. As per norm, Ullr and I both attack minions until the enemy gods get bold and attack me. At this point, Ullr backs off completely. I begin to as well, but am stunned, then stunned a second time upon recovery, first by Ymir, then by Neith. I die. Repeat this 3 more times, and Ullr begins telling me that I am bad at Athena, and I will make them lose. I am level 4 at this point, with an Ethereal Staff, and he is level 6, and the enemy is around 6 and 7, perhaps 8 for one of them. I begin to refute his words, as he tells me I need to learn when to back up. I tell him I tried but was stunned, and it is at this point that the others chime in. They agree with Ullr that I should not attack the enemy. I tell them I didn't attack the enemy gods, that I attacked the minions, and then was attacked myself while Ullr left me to die instead of covering me. The argument goes on for a minute or so, with me asking them to help me rather than insult me. Finally I tell Ullr I am leaving right lane because I don't want to help him if he is just going to leave me to die then tell me how bad I am. Janus tells me that some of them are beta testers who know the Devs, and that they will report me to them directly to get me banned if I don't shut up and play. (Note that while I typed during death,I never stopped playing) I leave and go left, and push, taking a tower with Janus, who has gone left at this time as well. Ullr begins surrender votes, saying we can't win, and the like. My build grows with me taking armors that boost health and physical protection (Starting with Hide of Nemean Lion and another on that path) and we continue to play. The others now are more angry at Ullr, realizing that I am still playing, while he continues to beg us to surrender. We end up winning the match, and I do well from the time I leave right lane, getting 3 kills and 10 assists. I did die 10 times, with 5 of those being in right lane before I left it. The other deaths were all in the same manner, me tanking the enemy to give my allies either time to retreat or time to finish the enemy off. I got no complaints past the time I left right lane, and took the tower with Janus. I ended at level 17, helped them take towers, phoenixes, the fire giant, and the titan. My build was as follows, built in this order. Ethereal Staff, Hide of The Nemean Lion, Midgardian Mail, Mystical Mail, Silver Talisman (Was going to be Bulwark Of Hope). My strategy is as follow is the lane. I attack minions first. I usually use my Shield Wall ability on groups unless Gods are nearby. If gods attack me or my allies I start off with a Preemptive Strike, then follow up with Confound and Shield Wall, in either order. I try to keep enemies on me rather than allow them to attack my allies, because as I understand it, that is my role as a tank. As far as my abilities go, I build in the current order. I start the match with Shield Wall ( 3 ) and then at level two, I take Preemptive Strike ( 1 ). Levels 3 and 4, I upgrade Shield Wall and learn Confound ( 2 ) as needed, depending on whether on not I need the pull or damage earlier. From there I mostly upgrade 3, until it will not let me. I do upgrade my Ult whenever it pops up. When I can not upgrade 3, I upgrade 1, when Preemptive Strike is level 3 and Shield Wall is maxed, and when my ult doesn't pop up for upgrade, I upgrade Confound to level 2 to get a bit longer of a pull. From there I max Preemptive Strike first, then Confound. With this situation, build, and strategy, please give me input as to what is going wrong and what is going right. I know that just a description may not be much to go on, but if you need more details I would be glad to provide what I can.

Well because you could have used more enters I could have misread something but here a little help:

I don't know how to play Athena so I won't be saying something about skills.

Your build misses one of the important items and that's boots. Also do you have way to much mails (giving only physical protection) wasn't there a mage character on the enemy team?

Well the match I mostly see Ullr do nothing (no poking only farming]] and with those stuns try buying a Purification Beadsas active (and Hand of God is a must as support). Your role is to defend the carry and trying to set up kills (by damaging the enemy what your adc will do as well). in the early game I would recommend buying a watchers gift so the adc can last hit everything and gets the money (you will get it too).

further in late you mostly did what a gaurdian needs to do (taking the hits for your team to get away safey or kill the enemy gods) but you should try not to die too soon.

Points of impprovement:
Build (just go too the recommended tab this makes building easier)
early game
team fights

This is everything I can make out of this if somoene can fill up the other stuff (and correct me if wrong) that would be great

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » June 3, 2014 1:11pm | Report
Ullr is at fault for not helping you for sure! Some ADCs (attack damage carries or hunters) think that just because they are the once supposed to get kills and be big fed badasses, they are supposed to stay out of trouble at any cost. But if that ends up in letting the support die (like in your chase) all it does is make him have to play super defensive and not able to farm properly.

On the other hand the first time you experienced that he did not help you at all when you needed him (all he would have had to do was throw out some basic attacks to put pressure on the enemies and they would most likely have backed off). You should have started to turtle (which means to just stay back let the enemy clear the wave and when the enemy minions are close to you tower you go inn and clear), this will make it a heck of a lot more risky for the enemy to kill you. And it is also mostly the ADCs job to clear the lane, at least when you are playing Athena. All you want to do is use Shield Wall at the melee minions really and save Preemptive Strike for either escaping or engaging on the enemy team.

Your skill combo as Athena looks like this Preemptive Strike--> Shield Wall--> Confound this way you can put down the wall then taunt the enemy back into the wall and then make the second tick from the wall hit them as well.

I would recommend when playing support that you as you do start with a point in 3 and max it first, then at lvl 2 depending on how the lane is you will either put a point in 1 (that is if you can put pressure on the enemy gods, maybe they have lost a lot of health from taking buffs or are just playing very passive) or in 2 (if they are pressuring you, but you think you can set up a kill because they are pushing so hard). Then I would at least get Confound up to rank 3 before getting any points in Preemptive Strike. You are not there to deal tons of damage, it is better to have more CC that lets your carry deal damage.

One thing you could have done was get your jungler to come camp your lane and just gank it like every minute until you and the ADC got back in the game. But when the ADC is going full ragemode ****** just leaving him and actually helping ppl that can make use of the help you actually are giving is a really smart move.

I'm not gonna touch on builds now, but Watcher's Gift and mida's boots are good for supports, just to be able to keep up in farm (gold) so that you can get tanky items. But you will be very very squishy in the beginning compared to if you start with protections. Items like Sovereignty, Bulwark of Hope are great due to health and protections. But yeah guess you will figure out builds after a while :P

Hope some of this helped you at least, sure there is a lot of stuff I did not elaborate on. But I'm off for bed, so I'll leave that to someone else :D

Just keep on playing and watch streams to learn stuff:
http://www.twitch.tv/mattypocket/profile
http://www.twitch.tv/trixtank/profile
http://www.twitch.tv/jeffhindla/profile
http://www.twitch.tv/shadowqwe/profile
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » June 3, 2014 1:38pm | Report
Flaseron wrote:

Janus tells me that some of them are beta testers who know the Devs, and that they will report me to them directly to get me banned if I don't shut up and play.

Well This sentence is just a PLAIN LIE (from Janus). Even if you're a beta tester (like everyone who was playing in the beta period) you don't have that might. They can report (by report system what everyone can use) you but you weren't feeding intentional so no ban. And they can't go too the developers for that. So don't be too scared about that. And if you get banned you can kinda fight the ban by sending an email (or redit)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » June 3, 2014 2:00pm | Report
1. The Ullr wasn't totally wrong. If you see an enemy like Ymir charging at you, you better turn around and run, especially if your lane partner is retreating.

2. Hide of the Nemean Lion is pretty bad. Sovereignty is a better choice, I mean, you are support. Also, Breastplate of Valor is an essential to pretty much all tanks, especially one with long CDs, like Athena.

3. With Athena, prioritize Confound over all other skills aside from your ult.

4. Having connections to devs doesn't equate to getting people banned whenever you want. Also, as far as I know, it's not even devs who do the majority of banning. Not only that, coming from a beta tester, let me just say that no, there are no special privileges. Unless you were legit badmouthing them and being toxic, you did nothing wrong, and you wont be punished for it.

Useful links:

The Complete Beginner's Guide to Smite by me.

A Conquest Guide by Pentargonite.

Support Guide by MysticBadger.

An Athena Guide by Setolino.

Hope you have a good time Smiting! :D

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wafflebob » June 3, 2014 10:59pm | Report
Flaseron wrote:

I'm pretty new to Smite, and just as new to MOBAs. I'd like to get some veteran players to help me. I don't want to be insulting, or insulted please, so if you come to be elitist, please don't. I'm asking for help here! This is your chance to turn a potential bad teammate into a good one!

You'll pretty much get nothing but constructive criticism here. At least on the newbie boards.
Quoted:

Anyways, I've gotten mixed reviews, when I first started playing my favorites, I was of course terrible. But now I get mostly good reviews from teammates. I have been told on one occasion that Athena is meant to carry. I later learned by asking repeatedly what that was, and someone explained it, then told me that Athena is NOT meant to carry in any way. I've been told that my role is to distract the enemy and keep them off my allies. I adhere to this role as much as possible, and most of the time this is received well.

Athena is not a carry. The carry is the ADC or Attack Damage Carry. This is what Ullr would have been considered for your example. Typically hunter type, they start out weak and require levels and gear to shine. By the end of the game they typically should have the highest damage output. Athena would be considered tank support. They pretty much do what you stated here. Distract enemies and peel them off your allies. Supports are typically two flavors. The kind that stick to their ADC and act as a bodyguard so they can farm and the kind that roam around the map helping to push and put pressure on lanes. Athena is kind of a mix between the two as her ultimate obviously allows her to quickly cross the map.
Quoted:

We begin with myself as Athena (Tank build) going right with Ullr. The other gods are Guan Yu, Janus, and Hun Batz. I don't remember where all the others were, but I know Hun Batz jungled, and I believe that Guan Yu went left while Janus took mid. Anyhow, what ends up happening is that we get 2 on right, Ymir and Neith. As per norm, Ullr and I both attack minions until the enemy gods get bold and attack me.

First mistake here. One of your roles as tank support is to establish dominance in your lane. This is done through poking. Basically you want to take an opportune moment to hurt but not necessarily kill the enemy gods. Drive them to their tower works, if you can make them run crying back to their base even better. Your ADC needs to back you up on this. If executed well, they'll be afraid to provoke you. Essentially you'd be doing what your enemies did in this match.

Quoted:

At this point, Ullr backs off completely. I begin to as well, but am stunned, then stunned a second time upon recovery, first by Ymir, then by Neith. I die. Repeat this 3 more times, and Ullr begins telling me that I am bad at Athena, and I will make them lose. I am level 4 at this point, with an Ethereal Staff, and he is level 6, and the enemy is around 6 and 7, perhaps 8 for one of them. I begin to refute his words, as he tells me I need to learn when to back up. I tell him I tried but was stunned, and it is at this point that the others chime in. They agree with Ullr that I should not attack the enemy. I tell them I didn't attack the enemy gods, that I attacked the minions, and then was attacked myself while Ullr left me to die instead of covering me. The argument goes on for a minute or so, with me asking them to help me rather than insult me.

Ullr and his cronies aren't wrong here. You do need to learn when to back up. The problem is that it varies between opponents. Ymir, you do NOT want to play with. Especially if he has levels and gear on you. He's slow so if you see him trudging your way, pull back to tower. If you've got Purification Beads, well maybe stick around. You can still break and run if need be. If its a different tank, not such a big deal. Sotek can't do much to stop you from running. You also can't really blame Ullr for running. He's frail and he's not gonna do much damage to Ymir. He could engage Neith and maybe drive her off, but Ymir and Neith already have the upper hand. And if they turn on him you're both dead which sets your team back even further. Key thing here is you aren't bad. you are inexperienced.
Since you had a jungler, in this situation I would have asked for jungler support. He comes over, ****s around in the jungle like they are won't to do, and then when Ymir and Neith try to push you, he comes screeching out of the undergrowth and murders the piss out of Neith. Now it's a tank, an assassin and a hunter vs a snowy rock. He's likely gonna run and probably gonna die. Now YOU have the upper hand again. Junglers are your best friend when you fall behind.
Quoted:

Finally I tell Ullr I am leaving right lane because I don't want to help him if he is just going to leave me to die then tell me how bad I am. Janus tells me that some of them are beta testers who know the Devs, and that they will report me to them directly to get me banned if I don't shut up and play. (Note that while I typed during death,I never stopped playing)

This is total BS and I personally would have called him on it.

Quoted:

I leave and go left, and push, taking a tower with Janus, who has gone left at this time as well. Ullr begins surrender votes, saying we can't win, and the like. My build grows with me taking armors that boost health and physical protection (Starting with Hide of Nemean Lion and another on that path) and we continue to play. The others now are more angry at Ullr, realizing that I am still playing, while he continues to beg us to surrender. We end up winning the match, and I do well from the time I leave right lane, getting 3 kills and 10 assists. I did die 10 times, with 5 of those being in right lane before I left it. The other deaths were all in the same manner, me tanking the enemy to give my allies either time to retreat or time to finish the enemy off. I got no complaints past the time I left right lane, and took the tower with Janus. I ended at level 17, helped them take towers, phoenixes, the fire giant, and the titan. My build was as follows, built in this order. Ethereal Staff, Hide of The Nemean Lion, Midgardian Mail, Mystical Mail, Silver Talisman (Was going to be Bulwark Of Hope). My strategy is as follow is the lane. I attack minions first. I usually use my Shield Wall ability on groups unless Gods are nearby. If gods attack me or my allies I start off with a Preemptive Strike, then follow up with Confound and Shield Wall, in either order. I try to keep enemies on me rather than allow them to attack my allies, because as I understand it, that is my role as a tank. As far as my abilities go, I build in the current order. I start the match with Shield Wall ( 3 ) and then at level two, I take Preemptive Strike ( 1 ). Levels 3 and 4, I upgrade Shield Wall and learn Confound ( 2 ) as needed, depending on whether on not I need the pull or damage earlier. From there I mostly upgrade 3, until it will not let me. I do upgrade my Ult whenever it pops up. When I can not upgrade 3, I upgrade 1, when Preemptive Strike is level 3 and Shield Wall is maxed, and when my ult doesn't pop up for upgrade, I upgrade Confound to level 2 to get a bit longer of a pull. From there I max Preemptive Strike first, then Confound. With this situation, build, and strategy, please give me input as to what is going wrong and what is going right. I know that just a description may not be much to go on, but if you need more details I would be glad to provide what I can.

This is pretty much how it should go. With some practice at learning when to evacuate you'll lower those deaths. I don't know a ton about Athena's abilities so I can't help there but your gear looks pretty solid. As some others said I would recommend a pair of boots early on. They still give solid defense buffs and the speed makes it easier to get in and out of combat. Oh and as also mentioned. Fist of the Gods is always a good choice for tank support. Particularly when poking or defending, you can just blow the enemy creeps away so you and your allies can focus on the enemy gods.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm pretty new still too, however I have read the heck out of the guides and have tried most of the gods

Wafflebob

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » June 3, 2014 11:15pm | Report
Well this is a bit of problem with junglers on low lvls they won't gank duo that much it's mostly solo what they wil gank or mid

And waflebob you're wrong on Fist of the Gods this is the item the jungle mostly takes. As support you will need to have Wrath of the Gods

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wafflebob » June 3, 2014 11:50pm | Report
Devampi wrote:

Well this is a bit of problem with junglers on low lvls they won't gank duo that much it's mostly solo what they wil gank or mid

And waflebob you're wrong on fist of gods this is the item the jungle mostly takes. As support you will need to have wrath of gods

You are correct! I just like the name Fist of the Gods better.

Wafflebob

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Flaseron » June 4, 2014 4:14am | Report
Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I'd like to add that while at the moment I did not have any boots, they are normally on my list to get, and earlier, but I saw the need for that Bulwark Of Hope (Because of the magical attackers) The reason I usually buy Hide Of The Nemean Lion is for the reflect damage on it, and as for the rest, I try to stack as much Health to combo with that Ethereal Staff. However, I will try adjusting my build a bit without the Hide! If anyone has any further comments or advice, please feel free to leave them here, as I will check up on it occasionally!

Flaseron

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » June 4, 2014 4:59am | Report
Flaseron wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I'd like to add that while at the moment I did not have any boots, they are normally on my list to get, and earlier, but I saw the need for that Bulwark Of Hope (Because of the magical attackers) The reason I usually buy Hide Of The Nemean Lion is for the reflect damage on it, and as for the rest, I try to stack as much Health to combo with that Ethereal Staff. However, I will try adjusting my build a bit without the Hide! If anyone has any further comments or advice, please feel free to leave them here, as I will check up on it occasionally!

Hide of the Nemean Lion only reflects damagfe from basic attack so it is only usefull if there are a lot of AA powered gods

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }